Top 8 Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia With Certificates
With top-notch education standards, Malaysia has become a hot favorite with international students. Most of the students move to Malaysia for study purpose because the infrastructure, political stability, variety of food, and multicultural approach is excellent in this country. Additionally, many top universities are providing a lot of creative courses. One of them is a creative writing course. Have you ever dreamt to study in Malaysia? Do you have an interest in creative writing? Would you like to have a profession as a creative writer? Let me help you to know the best creative writing courses in Malaysia through this article. Let’s start!
The name suggests that creative writing is a creative form of writing. It includes diverse genres and writing techniques from both fiction and non-fiction writing professions, including storytelling, playwriting, poetry, prose, journalism, and more. In general, original and self-expressive writing can be termed creative writing, despite the definition’s sometimes hazy nature.
It is typically distinguished by a concentration on narrative craft, emphasizing components like character development, narrative, and storyline while infusing its framework with creativity, originality, and tale. In this view, creative writing is technically any modern and innovative writing since it is not constrained by rules and uses a wide variety of techniques.
With a concentration on writing in an original style that is not constrained by pre-existing structures and genres, creative writing courses in academic settings are often divided into fiction, poetry, or scriptwriting sections.
Different Types of Creative Writing
There are many different types of creative writing, including many genres and styles.
There Are a Wide Variety of Creative Writing Styles That Can Be Classified as Either Fiction or Non-fiction. Among the Most Well-liked Are:
- Short stories
- Novels Writing
- spoken word and poetry
- Personal essays
What Do You Learn in Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia?
In creative writing courses in Malaysia, you learn how to connect with your audience via the power of language and use your creativity to bring ideas to life. You concentrate on honing your style and expanding your ability to write in a variety of genres. Discovering and using your unique writing voice requires knowledge.
Through a Creative Writing Course, You Learn Technical Skills Like Writing on a Deadline and Analytical and Critical Thinking. Moreover, You Learn to:
- Find your path and yourself
- Find out your areas of writing strength
- Recognize the flaws in your writing
- Be able to manage feedback on your work
- Write more effectively
- Adopt fresh writing strategies
Why Do Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia?
Many countries are providing the best creative writing courses around the world such as the UK, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, and Ireland, and one of them is Malaysia. Malaysia is one of the top 15 destinations for international students, according to UNESCO. Due to the low cost of lodging, the availability of English-taught programs, and the absence of language barriers, English has become increasingly popular in Malaysia.
Furthermore, Malaysia is a peaceful and safe nation, so you won’t have to worry when exploring and soaking in the surroundings. You can explore the area’s natural treasures and take in the relaxed, hospitable Malaysian way of life in your own time.
International students who are passionate about writing and want to refine their skills to create their works of fiction or enhance their English writing ability can consider pursuing a creative writing degree from Malaysia.
What Are the Opportunities/careers Available for Aspirants of Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia?
Students pursuing creative writing courses in Malaysia have multiple opportunities to work. Many students studying creative writing will desire to pursue a job in which they may use their English language abilities to work on projects. Roles, where we need creative language, may include:
- Copywriter with expertise-
- Social Media Specialist
- Advertising expert-
- PR professional
- Script Writer
- Content Writers
- Creative Writers
- Proof Readers
You can also start your projects, such as authoring a book or developing and pitching a TV or radio show. To gain feedback on your work or extracurricular writing projects, developing a relationship with other creative writing students or university contacts may be helpful. These persons could be able to put you in touch with connections who require writers in the future.
Find Some Other Highly Rewarding Courses in Malaysia:
- Content Writing Courses in Malaysia
- Digital Marketing Courses in Malaysia
- Technical Writing Courses in Malaysia
- SEO Courses in Malaysia
- Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia
Now Let’s Explore the Best Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia
1. Content Writing Master Course
Institute- IIM SKILLS
Mode- Live Online classes
Fees- 853.08 Malaysian Ringgit + 18% GST
Duration- 4 Months
IIM SKILLS is one of the top E-learning platforms providing content writing courses all around the world which is considered the best creative writing program covering a range of writing types and styles. IIM SKILLS is a well-known name for its writing courses that have transformed the careers of thousands of individuals around the globe. When asked why their Content Writing Course tops the list, there are a number of reasons.
Reasons To Choose IIM SKILLS Content Writing Course:
- They conduct live interactive classes considering the needs and necessities of students, during which students are allowed to ask and interact with the trainers to solve their queries on the spot.
- The course has a huge curriculum that focuses on very basic to advanced genres that a writer should know about in order to ace a career in writing and marketing.
- The extensively designed projects and assignment aid in the learning and skill development process where students are asked to submit the work done within a given time to increase productivity.
- IIM SKILLS promises a 100% 3 months internship which provides a great opportunity for beginners who have self-doubt and struggling to get the first gig. And of course, working professionals will be able to get an extra edge in skill and portfolio development.
- The excellent and supportive faculty of IIM SKILLS promises lifetime support to its students.
This Course Includes:
- 4 weeks of live classroom training
- 3 months guaranteed internship
- 30 hours training (16 hours lectures+14 hours internship sessions)
- Free tools worth 35 K
- Freelance Opportunities
- Dedicated placement cell
- Certification from IIM SKILLS & preparation for HubSpot
IIM SKILLS CONTENT WRITING COURSE MODULES & CONTENT
|Module 1) Introduction to Content Writing||Module 2) WordPress Web Development|
|Module 3) Digital Content (Articles, Blogging, Web Pages)||Module 4) Copywriting|
|Module 5) Marketing Collaterals||Module 6) Email Writing|
|Module 7 Social Media Writing & Video Scripts||Module 8) Creative Writing|
|Module 9) SOP & Business Listing||Module 10) Legal Writing|
|Module 11) Technical Writing 101||Module 12) SEO (Search Engine Optimization)|
|Module 13) Content Marketing||Module 14) Affiliate Marketing & AdSense|
|Module 15) Freelance Content Writing||Module 16) Resume Writing|
Benefits of Joining the Content Writing Master Course With IIM SKILLS:
- 3 months Guaranteed Internship
- Launch your Content Writing Agency
- Lifetime Support
- Portfolio Development for Job/Freelance
- Publish your first E-Book on Kindle, Google Books
- Write your First Blog for Platforms like the Times of India
- Publish your First Press Release on Online News Portal
There are 16 Modules in the Content Writing Master Course:
- Module 1: Introduction to Content Writing
- Module 2: Word Press Web Development
- Module 3: Digital Content (Articles, Blogging, Webpages)
- Module 4: Copywriting
- Module 5: Marketing Collaterals
- Module 6: Email Writing
- Module 7: Social Media Writing & Video Scripts
- Module 8: Creative Writing
- Module 9: SOP & Business Listing
- Module 10: Legal Writing
- Module 11: Technical Writing 101
- Module 12: SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Module 13: Content Marketing
- Module 14: Affiliate Marketing & AdSense
- Module 15: Freelance Content Writing
- Module 16: Resume Writing
After the completion of the Content Writing Master Course, you receive a certificate that can portray your skills over social media platforms or can add great value to your resume.
More Professional Courses From IIM SKILLS:
- Digital Marketing Course
- SEO Course
- Technical Writing Course
- GST Course
- Financial Modeling Course
- Business Accounting And Taxation Course
- CAT Coaching
Contact: +919580740740, [email protected]
Also, know about the best Creative Writing Courses in New Zealand
2. English with Creative Writing BA (Hons)
University- University of Nottingham Malaysia
Full-time- 3 Years
Part-time- Not Available
Malaysian students’ fee- RM28,800 Per Year
International students’ fee- RM35,100 Per Year
The University of Nottingham Malaysia boasts a thriving English School and is well-known worldwide for its international research and teaching caliber. It is the top university providing creative writing courses in Malaysia. English Language and Literature & English with Creative Writing are two of the top undergraduate degrees offered by the English School, which launched operations in 2013.
Shakespeare and his contemporaries, 18th and 19th-century literature, contemporary British and American literature, world literature in English, literary linguistics, sociolinguistics, corpus linguistics, metaphor studies, discourse analysis, and creative writing are among the subjects studied and taught at the school.
Why Choose This Course:
Students can research how does language shapes and affected by the changing situations in which it is used through the intriguing and broad-reaching study of English. English includes a variety of topics and texts, like studies of literature that focus on the aesthetic or stylistic elements of the texts or that may analyze the works in light of their social and historical context.
While creative writing will help students improve their writing abilities and provide insight into the writing process, language and applied linguistics studies also contain psychological and cognitive techniques.
As a result of these studies, students get the high-level creative and analytical abilities required for interactions with people from other countries, whether in the context of academic or professional endeavors.
These are the best Creative Writing Courses in Melbourne
3. English with Creative Writing MA
University- University of Nottingham Malaysia
Full-time- 1 Year
Part-time- 2-3 Years
Malaysian students’ fee- RM39,000 Per Program
International students’ fee- RM46,900 Per Program
UNM provides not only UG but PG degrees also in creative writing courses in Malaysia. The MA in English with Creative Writing program at UNM combines creative and critical techniques while examining the writing process in professional and published contexts.
Students who are eager to strengthen their creative writing abilities in a professional capacity may consider this degree in particular. It also contains pieces from English language and literature modules, which are complementary to any vocation in the broader subject of English studies.
Why Choose This Course:
The variety of theoretical perspectives that make up the current critical terminology of English and English studies will be covered. Additionally, the training will increase your knowledge of linguistic conventions and how they apply in diverse circumstances.
The course will put a lot of emphasis on improving your ability to conduct critical analyses of recent research as well as improving your ability to problem-solve about actual projects and case studies.
You can benefit from the supervisory experience of more than 80 staff members who are specialists in a variety of English study topics throughout three campuses, thanks to the global reach. Students are welcome to stay a while at any or all of their campuses throughout the world, which are situated in the UK, Malaysia, and China.
MA English with Creative Writing (Full-time) lasts 12 months. There are two semesters and a summer term in it. Each semester, you’ll enroll in four 15-credit modules. Then, over the summer, you will finish a creative project that must be turned in in September.
Typical Core Modules:
- Fiction: Form and Context
- Poetry: Form and Context
- Creative Writing Workshop
- Creative Writing Conventions and Techniques
- What is Literature?
- English: Dissertation in Creative Writing
Typical Optional Modules (Choose only one):
- Grammar and Discourse
- Literature and Modernity
4. M.A (Creative Writing)
University- Sultan Idris Education University
Full-time- 2 Years
Part-time- Not Available
Fees & Expenses-
Tuition Fee- 14,080 MYR
Living Cost- 18,000 MYR/Year
Application Fee- 40 MYR
Sultan Idris Education University (Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris) is one of those which provide Post graduate degrees in creative writing courses in Malaysia. For this course, the eligibility criteria differ for different courses done by candidates.
The Eligibility Criteria Are Below:
- For IELTS students – Competent 6
- For TOEFL IBT students – Competent 60-78
- For TOEFL CBT students – 170-210
- For PTE students – Competent 50-58
Check here the top Creative Writing Courses in the Philippines
5. Creative Writing- Place, Travel, Movement
University- University of Nottingham, Malaysia
Duration- 2 Weeks
Tuition Fee- 667 EUR
They engage in various forms of reading and writing practice in the Creative Writing – Place, Travel, Movement course at The University of Nottingham Malaysia, taught by writing faculty from Malaysia’s first Creative Writing program, the undergraduate “English with Creative Writing” degree at the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus. This is one of the certificate creative writing courses in Malaysia in addition to the undergraduate creative writing course.
An introduction to the art and skill of creative writing, Creative Writing: Place, Travel, Movement, emphasizes creative non-fiction and poetry. This is a writing-intensive course that will be taught as a workshop or studio, with daily writing and peer reading assignments from the students.
To assist students in developing their distinctive voices and writing styles, this course will examine a variety of classical and modern creative non-fiction and poetry. Students will be expected to participate in critical dialogue and learn how to use writing as a lens through which to view and articulate the human experience.
This course aims to mentor students in the writing process, helping them improve their writing and reading abilities, and helping them become more aware of literary contexts and artistic and creative potential.
By the End of the Module, You Would Be Able to Have Knowledge and Understanding of:
- Character, plot, and point of view are some components of fiction.
- The practice of writing down ideas and revising them in notebooks.
- Aesthetic perspectives on writing
- Creative perspectives on writing
- The capacity to edit one’s writing expertise.
- The capacity to progress work-in-progress through dialogue with others
- The ability to contextualize writing transferable skills
- The ability to reflect on progress
- The capacity to react to feedback from others.
6. Creative Writing Specialization (Coursera)
Offered by – Wesleyan University
Course Fee- Free/Paid (3,906 INR)
Duration- Approximately 6 months to complete (1 hour/week)
The short story, the narrative essay, and the memoir are three of the main creative writing forms that are covered in this specialization. You will get the skills necessary to craft a gripping narrative with memorable characters set in an alluring environment that is presented in a novel descriptive manner.
You will assess peer writing critically and analytically. You will begin, revise, and finish writing a sizable original narrative in the genre of your choice for the capstone project. Anyone interested in writing, from aspiring short story writers to seasoned novelists, can benefit from these classes.
This Specialization gives you the tools to accomplish your goal, whether you have a finished manuscript on your desk that needs a new perspective or has had the seed of an idea for ten years.
You will improve your ability to not just improve your writing but also critique writing in general and find inspiration in the writing you are already reading through four courses, all of these focus on an important part of writing and can be taken in any sequence you want.
There Are 5 Courses In This Specialization:
- Creative Writing: The craft and Plot
- Creative Writing: The Craft of Character
- Creative Writing: Setting and Description Craft
- Creative Writing: The Craft of Style
- Capstone: Your Story
This specialization course provides a shareable certificate. That can be shared over LinkedIn easily to showcase your learnings and skills.
Also Read: Creative Writing Courses in Perth
7. Complete Creative Writing- All Genres- The Full Course (Udemy)
Course Fee- Paid (1,299 INR)
Course Length- 6 Sections, 162 Lectures, 12h 7m total length
This creative writing course is intended to inspire you to write your works of fiction, poetry, drama, and creative non-fiction, the four genres of creative writing. It is both entertaining and useful. To help you find, develop, and share your unique writing voice, writing strategies, literary devices, and specialist knowledge will be covered.
The actual writing projects you will complete as you go toward your goal of being a successful and confident writer will be the true test of your progress, even though review quizzes over key concepts are offered along the way.
You Will Hone and Develop Your Writing Style by Enrolling in This Course as You:
- Learn about the four types of creative writing.
- Use writing strategies to succeed.
- Investigate a variety of writing ideas and how they apply to your writing.
- Analyze the positives and negatives of writing assignments.
- Make examples of various writing styles that are scaffolded.
- As you succeed and gain confidence in your writing abilities, you will also find a variety of public forums through which to share your writing with others.
The Material From Complete Creative Writing, Plus A Bit Extra, Includes:
- Poetry Primer- An Overview of Poetic Writing Projects and Styles
- Non-Fiction Creative Writing – You Can’t Make This Stuff Up!
- Fiction Crash Course- Writing Techniques & Skills for Success!
- Beginning Playwriting- Write and get your play produced!
8. Start Writing Fiction (Future Learn)
Offered by – The Open University (UK)
Course Fee- Free/Paid (1,564 INR)
Duration- 8 Weeks/3 hours per week
Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia Overview:
Several well-known authors, including Louis de Bernières, Patricia Duncker, Alex Garland, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Tim Pears, Michèle Roberts, and Monique Roffey, will discuss their writing process in this online course. You’ll think about the writing and journaling rituals, discover how to develop your ideas, evaluate your writing and editing, listen to writers discuss their methods for conducting research, and begin converting events into narratives.
To improve your ability to read as a writer and respond to criticism, you’ll also have the chance to evaluate the work of your peers and receive feedback on your own.
Topics To Be Covered in the Course:
- Fiction Characters Creation
- Different sources for stories’ characters
- Presenting Characters in stories
- Reading as a writer
- Practice writing which includes creativity, research, observation, and editing
- Peer Feedback, workshops, and the value of feedback
Benefits Of This Course:
- Be able to write fiction and stories by creating characters
- Expand your writing ideas and increase observational awareness
- Identify the importance of other authors and develop your skills in reading as a writer
- Develop your editing skills and vocabulary to style and present
- Achieve a shareable certificate at the end of the course
- 100% online
- Flexible deadline
Frequently Asked Questions- FAQs About Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia
Q1. How much can a creative writer earn monthly by doing creative writing courses in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, the average monthly salary for a creative writer is roughly 4,680 MYR. The lowest salary is 2,250 MYR, and the highest is 7,350 MYR (highest). This is the typical monthly wage, which also includes housing, transportation, and other amenities. The pay for creative writers varies greatly depending on factors including experience, aptitude, gender, and region.
Q2. What are the advantages and Disadvantages to be a Creative Writer?
- Conceivable fame
- Plenty of opportunities to earn money while learning and honing your language skills. The capacity to earn a living doing what you love and enjoy doing.
- Using your content to amuse others.
- Working at a place and on a schedule that you choose.
- A potential source of wealth.
- Using the internet to communicate with individuals all around the world.
- If you work for yourself, you are your boss.
- Writing is subjective, which frequently results in arguments between authors, editors, and publishers.
- Why Clients rarely provide self-employed authors with employment perks like insurance or retirement benefits.
- Because there are few obstacles to entry into this field and there is great interest in the occupation, there is fierce competition for jobs and clientele.
- A possible dearth of interpersonal engagement while working.
- Writing assignments take time to complete.
- Not receiving enough money.
- Unlike other professions, the path of a writer occasionally involves dead ends, twists, and ups and downs.
Q3. What skills a Creative Writer must have?
Being a successful creative writer requires an essentially inborn talent: the ability to write creatively. The abilities that a creative writer should possess include:
- Strong writing skills
- Good Imagination skills
- Creative ideas for presentation
- Grammar knowledge
- Power to express thoughts
- Good vocabulary
- Ability to research various topics
- Hard work
4. Who employs creative writers?
Here are some employers to hire Creative Writers.
- Public relations and advertising firms,
- Corporate Marketing Departments,
- Broadway, Community, and Children’s theatre companies,
- Publishing houses,
- Newspapers and Magazines agencies,
- Broadcast media,
- Schools and Universities,
- Governmental and regulatory organizations
A Creative Writer profession has a great future ahead. The above-mentioned creative writing courses in Malaysia will help you to deep dive into your writing styles and abilities. They will help you to develop your skills and personality as a creative writer, so you can choose Creative writing as a freelancer or a job as you wish. Before you apply for any of these creative writing courses in Malaysia, it is suggested to explore more about them and see the best course for yourself depending on your level, financial situation, and comfortability.