Top 5 Photography Courses in Chennai
Photos are an inseparable part of our everyday life. Consciously or subconsciously we indulge with photographs every single day. Either we click someone, get clicked, or just scroll through random photos at least once a day.
As per the Job Outlook, the average growth rate of employment in the photography industry, for the years 2020 to 2030 is estimated to be 17%. 9% more than the average of all other occupations.
Digital revolution, the boom in advertising, media, and the fashion industry along with people’s ever-growing fondness for photos has opened a plethora of opportunities for aspiring photographers. Photography has emerged as a lucrative career choice, with immense growth potential, lots of learning, and earning.
This article brings to you a comprehensive list of the top 5 photography courses in Chennai, the genesis point of many renowned photographers, and the guiding light of aspirants.
Before diving into the list of the top 5 photography courses in Chennai, let’s first glance through the evolution of photography, its various disciplines, and the skills needed to be a successful photographer.
Evolution of photography
Almost 200 years ago, in the 1820s when the first picture surfaced, nobody in their farthest of imagination could have thought that a seemingly simple concept will become a crucial way of communication and expression one day.
Let’s walk down memory lane to understand, what major events shaped the concept of modern photography, as we know it today.
- 1826: The world’s first photograph, was taken in 1826 by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce. He clicked a black and white photograph from his wooden camera. Titled as, the “View from the Window at Le Gras,” it is believed to be the world’s oldest surviving picture.
- 1888: The invention of Kodak camera, was a major leap in the history of amateur photography. Invented by George Eastman, it was a box camera with 100 exposure roll films.
- 1939: Photographs of World War 1, taken by official war photographers was the inception point of “ propaganda through photographs”. People got to experience the horror of war zone through the photographs while sitting comfortably in their houses in some faraway lands.
- 1948: Edwin Land debuted his first “Polaroid” instant image camera.
- 1991: First every digital SLR camera was created by Kodak.
- 2000: Two companies, Samsung and Sharp introduced the first-ever camera-enabled phones in the year 2000 approximately 5 months apart from each other. They are considered the pioneers of the inbuild camera phone technologies, which changed the perception of photography forever.
Disciplines of photography
1. Portrait Photography
It is the most commonly practiced form of photography. The family pictures, candid shots, professional headshots, etc fall in this category. Portrait photos are categorized by full-body or close-up shots, which may successfully capture the personality, mood, and moment of an individual or group. It aims to keep the face in focus to capture the emotion at the moment.
Photojournalism is a way of telling a news story through relevant photographs. Be it print or broadcast, without a photo story loses the impact. Thus, supporting a news story with appropriate photos for viewers to relate to is very important. Photojournalists often venture into tough terrains and difficult situations to click a particular photo. The photo captures the essence of the news, reality.
3. Fashion Photography
Fashion photography deals with glamour and glitz. The focus of the photo depends on what product is being promoted? Whether it is makeup or an outfit, footwear, handbag, etc, the focal point of the camera keeps changing accordingly. These photos are creative and aim at catching the attention of the target audience and prospective buyers of the products. These photographers work in collaboration with models and art directors.
4. Sports Photography
Sports photography is all about catching the players in action. The legendary pictures of a famous shot, goal, or basket that we see the next day in the newspaper and magazines is the hard-earned work of sports journalists. Sports journalists are expected to stay alert and anticipate the possibility of an important moment and capture it in time. To zoom in on the action, they use heavy, long lenses.
5. Editorial Photography
The purpose of editorial photography is to compliment the text or topic with relevant photos. These photos can be spaced horizontally or vertically as deemed fit and suitable with the complementary text. Editorial photos are found in newspapers and magazines.
6. Architectural Photography
Architectural photography is all about capturing architectural marvels. From bridges to flyovers, warehouses to modern buildings, beam to archways, etc fall under the purview of architectural photography. An architectural photographer depends primarily on natural lighting, especially while capturing the exteriors of the architect. They often use a tilt-shift lens, panorama head, and tripod.
Each of the listed top 5 photography courses in Chennai helps the students in excelling in all these varied forms of photography through immense practice, training workshops, and assignments.
Skills needed to be a photographer
- Must be artsy or creative.
- Knowledge of composition and exposure control.
- Knowing the placement and arrangement of visual elements.
- Must be able to suggest appropriate poses.
- Knowledge of angles.
- Should have good camera instincts.
- Must stay alert and have an eye for details.
2. Technical skills
- Know how to maintain a balance between the artistic and technical aspects of the camera.
- Knowledge of lighting ratios, dynamic range, shutter speed, etc is a must.
- Be well-versed with image editing and post-production aspects.
- Knowledge of various editing software to bring out the best in a photo.
3. Communication skills
- Certain disciplines of photography are about teamwork, effective communication is essential for teamwork.
- It is necessary to build rapport with people who are at the center of photography.
- Effective communication with people includes listening to them, asking them relevant questions, explaining your vision to them, and helping them pose accordingly.
4. Close attention to detail
- A photographer should know his/her image from pixel to pixel.
- The frame reflects the creativity and professionalism of the photographer.
- While editing the photo, it is important to know every minute detail of the photograph to avoid overdoing or undergoing the edit.
- Photographers tend to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- They are pressed against the deadlines
- Staying organized saves time and avoids confusion and delays
- It also helps in building a well-formatted portfolio.
- To stay organized photographers can maintain diaries and segregate their work as per the different assignments and post and pre-production or edit.
- Photographers must have this quality as their assignment may take them to different places around the world.
- They are required to work under various weather conditions.
- They should have a nack to adjust to different work environments, clients, and deadlines.
Top 5 photography courses in Chennai
1. Ambitions 4 Photography Academy
Leading the list of the top 5 photography courses is Ambitions 4 Photography Academy. Driven by the motto “photography for all, photography by all”, this esteemed institution continues to coach budding photographers since 2001. This renowned photography academy offers practice-based coaching, and its curriculum covers every aspect of photography, from minute details to major considerations facet. The state-of-the-art digital studios, air-conditioned classrooms, and finest of cameras make the learning engaging, interesting, and fun.
- Weekend courses
- Regular courses
- Online virtual classes
- Basic photography
- Candid wedding photography
- Wildlife photography
- Advanced studio lighting photography
- Image post-processing
- Diploma courses
- Specialist diploma in professional photography
- Advanced diploma in professional photography
- Diploma in professional photography
- Eligibility- 14 years and above
- Phone: 91+ 9444 441190
- Website: www.ambitions4.com
- Address: 2/1079, Bhavani Street, Kagithapuram, Sunnambu Kolathur, Kovilambakkam, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. Pin: 600 117
2. 3L Photography Institute
3L photography Academy in Chennai aims at offering high-quality, inspirational photography lessons to budding photographers. Whether you are a professional who wishes to hone his/her photography skills or an amateur photographer willing to take up a new set of skills the training module is designed to meet everyone’s requirements.
The one amongst the top 5 photography courses in Chennai, 3L photography believes in providing individual attention to every student. Students are tough to pitch their skills to gain clientele and work independently. They are also thought the nuances of working with an organization as a team.
- Basic photography course
- How to take amazing photos
- Working with a camera, using manual settings
- Composition of images beautifully with basic photography rules
- Lighting ratio on your subject, using flash and natural lighting
- Image editing
- Professional photography course
- Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO Settings
- Learn about Vince’s “Light Triad”
- Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority settings
- Color, Light, and Design Techniques
- learn the color theory
- how to use design elements
- Putting a shot together
- Capturing Motion in Photos
- Use of motion blur
- Subject placement
- Capture movement and action
- How to set up your shot
- Understanding Composition
- How to create order, symmetry, and balance.
- Use contrasts in color, size, and shape of the subject
- Create the right focal point.
- Concept of line and shape
- Editing techniques in post-production
- Using editing software
- Using Adobe’s Bridge and Photoshop applications.
- Shooting On Location
- Shooting in low light, during movement, or in outdoor landscape situations.
- Click candid and planned pictures like a professional.
- Shooting in the Studi
- Indoor shots
- How to create an environment that is both comfortable and inspiring.
- How to choose the correct light
- Color managing surfaces to use
- The right equipment for the subject and background lighting,
- Exposure settings to use with studio situations.
- Setting Up Photo Studio Lighting
- Direct, diffused, and secondary light sources when shooting in a studio.
- how to set up for one, two, and three-point lighting situations.
- correct angles and distances
- meter and various light intensity levels.
- What is “Flat Light” and when
- Using Atmospheric Perspective in your Landscape Images
- Correct Exposure at Dusk
- Light metering using built-in and hand-held meters
- Projecting emotion using Color Temperature and White Balance Settings
- Learn the “Light Triad”
- Using Rhythm and Repetition to increase the impact
- Making a Statement using Proportion
- Capturing both natural and man-made motion
- Connecting to your local photography community
- Phone: 074015 22195
- Website: www.3l-photography-academy.ueniweb.com
- Address: 2nd floor, Street, Paddy Field Road, #2, Muthumari Amman Koil, Perambur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600011
3. Bridge Academy
one of the finest institutes to be included in the list of the top 5 photography courses in Chennai is Bridge Academy Film Institute. Established by industry professionals around 18 years ago, the institute excels in courses like Digital Film Making, Sound Engineering, Photography, Film Editing, Digital animation, website designing and development, and E-learning initiatives.
Bridge Academy is an ISO-certified Film institution. It offers a photography diploma course in digital photography. Backed by experienced professional photographers, the institute provided the finest photography training. During the photography course, students are taught about the basics of photography, light composition, color lighting, camera selection, lens, accessories, processing, and retouching.
- Daylight Photography,
- Studio Light Photography,
- Advertising Photography,
- Modeling Photography,
- Panorama Photography
- Film photography
- Wedding photography
- Commercial photography
- Aerial & panorama photography
- Event photography
- Landscape photography
- Product & Fashion photography
Address: #27 Sowrashtra Nagar 5th Street, Opposite to Nungambakkam Railway Station, Choolaimedu, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600094
4. K’s Academy of Photographic Arts
K’s Academy is renowned for crafting the finest of photographers from mere aspirants. K’s Academy of Photographic Arts is one of the best photography courses in Chennai, aiming to bring Quality Photography Education to the netizens of Chennai. Trusted by industry experts, the courses are designed to meet the dynamics of the industry. Students are mentored by professional photographers Professional. The training module is based on practical-oriented Teaching.
- One year PG dIploma in Advertising Photography
- One year Diploma in Commercial photography
- Six months Diploma in professional photography
- 6 months diploma in advertising photography
- Basics and Foundation of Photography
- DSLR Camera Basics & settings
- Exposure triangle
- Exposure Metering
- Study of Lenses
- Depth of Field
- Elements and Rules of Composition
- Landscape & street photography
- Basics Photoshop Colour Correction
- Macro Photography
- Basic Table-Top Photography
- Window light Table-Top
- Portable Flash as studio lights
- Rear-curtain sync
- Light Painting & Star trials
- Basics of Cinematography
- Product Photography-Introduction
- E-Commerce Photography
- Event Photography
- End semester Project
- Food Photography & Styling
- Image Manipulation using Photoshop
- Introduction to Lightroom
- Camera raw, Capture one
- Studio Flash photography
- Portrait Lighting
- Light Modifiers & Accessories
- Photoshop Retouching
- Basics of Wildlife & Automobile Photography
- Advertising photography
- Photographing Jewelry, Shiny, Textured Products
- Wedding photography
- Candid Photography
- Fashion photography (Indoor and Outdoor)
- Types of studio lighting
- Photography for Editorials & Magazines
- Fine-Art Photography
- High-speed sync, strobe lighting
- Styling & Make-up
- Exploring medium format camera
- Final Semester Project- 1 Month
- Internship – 1 Month
- Monthly Projects,
- Weekly Assignments,
- Studio practices,
- Photo walks,
- Analysing Masters works,
- Guest sessions,
Phone: 91-96001 57723
Address: K’s Academy of Photographic Arts [KAPA]No. 21, 9th Cross Street,Indira Nagar
Chennai – 600 020
5. Visualite Academy Photography Institute
Visualite Academy is acclaimed for providing quality training with industry-oriented methodologies. It boasts of a State-of-the-art infrastructure. Its curriculum is designed to meet the requirements of the industry.
Driven by the motto, “practice makes a man perfect” priority is given to industry visits, outdoor shoots, and exchange programs over the classroom and studio teachings. Its alumni are placed well and are working with various media houses, production houses, and government agencies, making a fine case for it to get included in the list of the top 5 photography courses in Chennai.
- Basic photography
- Advanced photography
- Professional photography
- Introduction to wedding photography
- Candid Photography
- Camera flash techniques
- Concept & Visualization
- Schedule planning
- Pre-Wedding and Post-Wedding
- Studio lighting
- Shooting Practice in
- Real-time practices
- Fashion photography
- Basic concepts in fashion photography
- Still-life fashion
- Introduction to portrait photography
- Lighting for portraits
- Styles of portraits
- Indoor portraits
- Outdoor portraits
- Product and food photography course
- Product Make-up
- Food Styling
- Photography for Print Ads
- Post Processing
- Introduction to interior photography
- Meter Reading
- Using Pro-lights
- Usage of different lenses
- Usage of different lenses
- Importance of lighting
- Framing techniques and Angles
- Introduction to wildlife photography
- Different types of lenses
- Camera techniques
- Shooting in forest
Phone: +91 93609 22211
Address: No.16/106, A I Block, 4th Street Opp. Anna Adarsh College for Women, Anna Nagar Chennai 600 040.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which is the best institute to pursue a photography course?
If you want to become a successful photographer, you may enroll in any of the top 5 photography courses in Chennai. They are all esteemed institutions with experienced faculty and best-in-class training modules.
- How should I choose between basic and advanced photography courses?
If you have an idea about handling the camera, manual setting, light balancing, using a tripod, adjustment of focus, and other basic principles of photography and camera, you may consider enrolling yourself in an advanced program of any of the top 5 Photography courses in Chennai. Else, start with the basic program.
- What is the average income of a professional photographer in India?
According to Payscale, the average income of a professional photographer in India ranges from INR 3,80,000/- to INR 4,50,000/- per annum.
Photography has emerged from a mere hobby to a rewarding profession. It is a creative platform, with great learning opportunities. Enroll yourself in one of the top 5 photography courses in Chennai to realize your dream of becoming a professional photographer.