5 Best Creative Writing Courses in Hong Kong
Creative writing is a term that is often confused with the general form of writing i.e professional articles, technical writing, or any content writing related to a specific niche or that requires any definitions. To put it in simple terms, a creative form of writing includes all the content that lets you use your imaginative skills and transform them into paper. If you are based in Hong Kong and want to explore creative writing as a career option, then this ultimate guide to creative writing courses in Hong Kong will help you in this journey.
Creative writing is more on the CREATIVE (as the name suggests) side. So, in contrast to other kinds of writing, this one is about using your thoughts and creativity to express yourself or your ideas – it can be fiction or non-fiction. Creative writing lets you express yourself or be yourself when you write.
In technical or professional writing, one must be a little cautious about using certain terms or phrases. We cannot write anything that comes to our minds. First, we must refine our thoughts, think of a few technical or related terms, and then proceed. But in creative writing, you can define yourself freely through your writing.
So, in a nutshell, we can say that creative writing is not defined by any boundaries or standards, and it is not defined by specific structures or formats.
Different Types of Creative Writing
There are many forms of creative writing. We are listing a few popular types of creative writing styles that you can choose from while deciding upon creative writing courses in Hong Kong.
Advertising and Marketing
Novels (fiction and non-fiction)
Creative Writing vs Content Writing
Many believe that writing of any sort falls under the same category. But that’s not the case. So, if you are interested in pursuing creative writing or content writing course, and are looking for options for creative writing courses in Hong Kong, then first it’s necessary to be clear about the difference between the two styles.
If we broadly classify writing, then it can be divided into 2 parts – creative writing and content writing. Here are some main differences between the two types of writing:
- Content writing refers to writing that focuses primarily on marketing, branding, or any specific purposes to cater to technical and professional matters. Whereas creative writing falls outside these aspects with emphasis on crafts such as fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction.
- There is a specific structure, language, and a few other points that are preset and one should follow in content writing. Creative writing, on the other hand, gives the author the liberty to write as per your thoughts and creativity.
- Content writing focuses on facts, search engine optimization (SEO), concision, and persuasiveness. In contrast, creative writing focuses on point of view, emotional and visual appeal, narrative style, and other narrative crafts.
So, in a nutshell, content writing and creative writing are two extremes, and one person can write in both styles. In the competition between content writing vs creative writing, there is no clear winner. As a writer, you need to decide which portion are you willing to write based on your skills and choice.
Why Hong Kong is the Best Place to study?
Hong Kong has a mix of eastern and western cultures, making it an ideal choice for international students to study higher education. Many Hong Kong-based universities have secured a place in the world’s top universities. Hong Kong also has many institutions and so it attracts many ex-pats from different backgrounds for career opportunities.
Hong Kong is a global hub in higher education and technology and has opened its doors to international students for higher studies through research, innovation, and potential employment opportunities after graduation. So, without worrying much you can proceed with searching for creative writing courses in Hong Kong
Also, check out the trusted Creative Writing Courses in New Zealand
Reasons to Study Creative Writing Courses in Hong Kong :
- It has a well-developed public transportation system, so it becomes very convenient and cost-effective for students to commute.
- Hong Kong has one of the world’s safest, most efficient, and most frequent public transport systems and there are multiple convenient payment methods in the form of cash, Octopus Card, and e-Wallet.
- Lots of opportunities for international students to find part-time work opportunities to support themselves while pursuing studies.
5 Institutes Offering Creative Writing Courses in Hong Kong
1. IIM Skills
IIM Skills is a leading online education institute offering courses like Content Writing Course, Digital Marketing Course, SEO Course, Technical Writing Course, GST Certification Course, Financial Modeling Course, and BAT Course. Here the classes are not pre-recorded, they conduct live sessions, and so it gives you the facility to attend from anywhere.
More than 15000 students have been trained in various courses from over 35+ Countries across the Globe. The certification guarantees a job, and the courses are designed in such a way that it supports you in exploring your practical concepts.
Creative Writing Course Highlights by IIM Skills which makes it the Best Content Writing Course:
- 4 weeks course duration, including 16 hours of lecture, 60 hours of practical assignments, and tools worth INR 35,000
- Certified course
- 10+ hours of internship lectures and freelance opportunities
- The internship here is for 3 months
- Support in the development of portfolios of job seekers and freelancers
Download IIM SKILLS Content Writing Course BrochureFind Why 20,000+ People Love IIM SKILLS
- Introduction to content writing
- Web development
- Digital Content
- Marketing Collaterals
- Email Writing
- Social Media Writing
- Creative Writing
- Business Listing
- Legal Writing
- Technical Writing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Freelance Content Writing
Find the top-rated Creative Writing Courses in Birmingham
2. Hong Kong Metropolitan University
Hong Kong Metropolitan University offers a Master of Arts in Creative Writing (MACWF) program. The course aims to provide its students the opportunity to sharpen their professional writing skills in multiple genres to develop their careers in the different creative sectors including film, advertisement, visual art, and digital media.
- This is an on-campus program
- The medium of instruction is Chinese
- Course duration is 1 year (three terms) on a full-time basis or 2 years on a part-time basis.
- The course will prepare enrolled students with the skills for a variety of careers in the era of multi-media and creative industries
- Experimental Writing
- Writing Visual Culture: Text & Image
- Topics in Genre Fiction
- Screenplay and Drama Script Writing
- Reading and Writing Online Fiction
- Creative Lifestyle Writing: Celebrity, Food, and Travel
- Creative Writing of Animation Scenarios
- Visual Narratives
- Copywriting for Integrated Marketing Communication
- Exploration of Book & Print Design
- Special Topics in Creative Writing
3. The Knowledge Academy
The Knowledge Academy offers a Creative Writing Training course, which is designed to make the participants aware of various writing skills and sharpen their creative skills. Students will also develop skills to write fiction (literature) and sharpen poetry writing.
- Enhance your creative writing skills
- Learn how to tackle challenges faced in the creative writing field
- Understand the basics of literary fiction and storytelling
- The course duration is 1 day
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in London
4. Wesleyan University (Coursera)
Wesleyan University offers Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot course. This course is specially designed for all aspirants who wish to enhance their creative writing skills. They also provide various tools that will help you in planning, structuring, and editing aspects of your writing.
- The duration of the course is 4 weeks that includes 5-6 hours’ worth of material
- This is a beginner’s level course, and it is the 1st of the 5 courses in the Wesleyan Specialization on Creative Writing
- The most important thing to note is that the course is peer graded. So, you will be receiving feedback from fellow participants.
Topics covered in the course include – ABDCE Structure, How Structure and Outlines Can Help Organize Your Plot, and the Story You Want to Tell. It will define a framework for your narrative plot and teach you how you can organize and describe your story and its contents. Also, it covers the editing and revision part.
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Germany
Udemy offers COMPLETE Creative Writing – All Genres – THE FULL COURSE by Trace Crawford. In this course, you will learn the required skills to become a wonderful writer and at the end of the course, you will be able to write engaging content in all genres of creative writing. Trace Crawford is a well-known name and is involved in teaching writing and theatre since 1997. He has 7 courses on Udemy.
All the assignments will be reviewed by instructors.
Each lesson is broken down into multiple video lectures that include:
- quick writing assignment
- course lecture related to a specific teaching area that focuses on a particular topic
- a project where you can practically apply learned skills
- The course covers 4 genres – Fiction, poetry, drama, and creative non-fiction
- It will teach you to discover, master, and share your own writer’s voice.
- The course will provide various writing assignments that are designed specifically to enhance your writing skills.
- To add to your creative writing portfolio, you will get writing opportunities for different sectors.
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Edinburgh
Career Options After Pursuing Creative Writing Courses in Hong Kong
After you complete the creative writing course, you can work in various sectors, such as art groups in public or private, non-profit cultural organizations, and educational organizations are also available. You don’t need to take up a job after pursuing a creative writing course. You can do ahead and choose to write novels or start a blog of your own.
Creative writers are welcomed in a diverse range of genres like script writing for movies and television, writing feature news, writing for online publishing platforms, and more. The most important aspect of starting a career as a creative writer is building a portfolio of your written work. If possible, try and include a variety or combination of genres to showcase your skills.
To begin with, you can approach different established websites to feature as a guest blogger and submit sample articles for reference. Starting your blog is also the best way to show your writing talent to the world. Initially, do not focus or stress about earning. Of course, money is important, but in every field, you need to prove yourself before you get any opportunity.
Who Are Eligible to Pursue Creative Writing Courses in Hong Kong?
Writing is one of the few areas that does not require any formal education. Though some institutes or employers prefer a degree in Arts or Communication for admission. So, if you have an educational background in English literature or Journalism & communication, it will be an added advantage in your career.
But no need to worry if you do not have a specific educational background and still want to study creative writing courses in Hong Kong and develop your career. To begin with, read as much as you can, develop strong ideas, and focus on your written language. Reading and then writing on the basis of the topics you have read, will help you to sharpen your skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much time does it take to learn creative writing?
The creative writing courses in Hong Kong can be from 7 days to 3 years. Some universities offer for a day or few even offer the course for a longer duration. Now, this was about the course duration. The actual time one will take to learn creative writing, will depend on one’s capabilities and skills. Many institutes offer work-related opportunities, and it will be the best way to learn practically and receive hands-on learning experiences.
2. What skills are required for creative writing?
Various skills are required for creative writing. The most important skill that any writer should have are excellent communication skills and a clear understanding and idea of what to write. These are the 2 main pre-requisites for becoming a writer in any sector or field. Few other skills that are required are adaptability, discipline, organization skills, research skills, and editing. All the other skills can be developed over time as you pursue creative writing courses in Hong Kong and these skills will sharpen with experience.
3. How much do creative writers get paid?
While searching for creative writing courses, one of the few initial questions or searches would have been – Can I make money from creative writing? Creative writers are in demand, be it for television, advertising, or books. You just need to figure out what exactly you want to specialize in this sector and choose the job or work that fits perfectly.
There are many ways through which you can make money as a creative writer –
- There are several writing competitions for creative writers. You can take part in such competitions and if your article is selected, not only you will earn monetary rewards, but you will also be established as a noted creative writer.
- Publish your book or e-book
- Submit articles for online publications
- Try your hands on script writing for movies or television
- Become a copywriter
Some of the creative writing jobs listed above definitely pay more than others but choose the option that best suits your skills and where you think you will be able to contribute positively and showcase your abilities. Do not think in terms of money. If you choose the wrong sector then it is possible that you will not be able to do justice to the job.
Before deciding upon the course, think about the sector or genre of writing you are interested in. Many times, people get confused between creative writing and content writing and end up taking the wrong course. So, while you are going through the list of creative writing courses in Hong Kong, do not forget to check the course contents. If you have any kinds of doubts, then you can always check with the institute by phone or e-mail. Also, you can choose to opt for any mode of instruction – online or offline. The main point should be that the course can provide value addition in terms of improving your skills and you should be able to gain adequate exposure and experience. Let’s summarize the important points you should keep in mind before deciding upon the best creative writing courses in Hong Kong:
- Build a portfolio of a variety of articles that displays your skills
- Initially do not focus on the money you are getting for work, instead choose the work that you feel is correct for you
- Start your blog where you can freely express your thoughts and opinions
- It is not necessary that you need a degree in the field of creative writing before you start writing. But, to gain the required experience, enhance your skills, and get work opportunities it is important to enroll in a good course.