Top 5 Creative Writing Courses in Birmingham
Creativity has been up for debate for many years, some believe it’s useful only for personal enjoyment while others think it paves way for modern advancements. Currently, it is agreed that a term like this cannot be fit into a single category. Considered an inborn quality in early times, now it is also a skill that can be acquired with practice. Selecting the best way to attain such a skill can be a hassle, this article provides useful information on some of the institutions that can provide the best creative writing courses in Birmingham.
When we think of creativity, we immediately tend to equate it with art. However, art can be found anywhere from the poster on a wall to the design of a car. Like art, creativity can be expanded into different sectors. It can be used in innovation, experimentation, collaboration, etc.
The most used mode for expressing creativity is through writing. When we submit a proposal, write a statement of purpose, communicate with our colleagues/peers, etc. we need to choose appropriate words that help us make them understand our ideas. Creativity can be seen in a commercial and non-commercial way.
Commercial where it earns money and non-commercial where it is published for self-satisfaction. When you gain enough knowledge and have a grasp on the different aspects of creativity, you can explore these options and choose a path that suits your future needs.
Fiction and Non-fiction Are Two Main Types of Creative Writing:
Some of the forms of Fiction writing include,
- Short story, – The name itself describes it aptly but it can also be defined as a story that can be read in a single sitting and is no more than 10,000 words.
- Poetry, – It is a form of writing that expresses more through the rhythm, meaning, and sound that evokes an emotional feeling in its readers.
- Script-writing, – Mostly written in the screenplay format it is created in a way that can be viewed in films, TV series, or video games.
- Play-writing, – This is a kind of writing specifically for theatrical plays or dramas. The focus is more on themes, dialogues, and plots which should be written in a way that engages an audience.
- The novel, etc. – A long and complex form of writing that connects events in a story to characters and plot. It can be written in a particular genre or can be a mix of different genres.
The most famous works are enjoyed in the above forms and made some writers renowned for their unique writing styles. You can learn these forms from the best creative writing courses in Birmingham, and maybe one day, publish your work for the world to see.
While Non-Fiction includes,
- Personal Essay, – It is a way of sharing your important personal experiences that imparts advice, or lessons, that has changed your perspective of life.
- Memoir, – A factual representation of interesting incidents in your life that are worth sharing.
- Diary writing, – A form of writing where you can keep a record of events that happened that you would like to remember in the future.
- Lyric Essay, – A hybrid form of writing that allows you to combine essay, poetry, and memoir that gives your thoughts a unique spin.
- Speech, etc. – Before vocalizing, it is written down clearly to convey a message to a mass audience and make them understand the meaning of it.
At least one of these forms might be familiar and used at least once in your life before, so all you might need to do is refine the already existing knowledge through one of the creative writing courses in Birmingham.
You can start with one and work your way through other forms or you can begin with some of them at the same time. Learning at your pace is important for an optimum experience. Every institute that teaches creative writing courses in Birmingham has a syllabus that clearly indicates the forms of writing you can learn. Browse through each of them and speak to the concerned authorities before choosing an institution that suits your requirements.
About Birmingham and the Opportunities Available
With the Commonwealth games 2022, the name of this city has come into wide focus on every known online platform. Once known as the first manufacturing town in the world, it fostered creativity and innovation. In the 1940s, it suffered massive damage due to large bombings and despite heavy structural changes has persevered and boasts a vibrant culture.
For those wanting an enriching experience, this fourth most visited city in the UK is a great place from a learning point of view. The Library of Birmingham is a treasure trove of information and studying at one of the universities here will greatly enhance your skills. However, selecting the right book, source or program is important for self-advancement.
The term creativity, through appropriate education and guidance, instantly elevates a person’s worth in any field. There are positions that are created for increasing creativity in an organization and in a culture-rich city like Birmingham, there is an abundance of them.
Also Read: Online Creative Writing Courses
You Could Land Job Roles Such as:
- Junior/Senior Content Writer,
- Digital Marketing content writer,
- Freelance Copywriter,
- Internal Communication Specialist,
- Marketing and Social Media Officer, etc.
Through creative writing courses in Birmingham of your choice, you can learn different forms of writing that can help you attain such jobs and secure your future.
Following Are the Top Institutions That Can Teach Creative Writing Courses in Birmingham:
1. IIM SKILLS
This institute will dot all the ‘I’s and cross all the ‘T’s when it comes to creative writing. As an individual who firmly believes in his/her skills, taking the content writing course here will increase your presence as a potential candidate for jobs. This course contains sixteen modules each covering a different form of creative writing that will prepare you for anything writing-related.
Each session covers topics in a detailed manner and their effective writing tips will help enhance your creativity. You will be well equipped in both content writing and content creation by the end of this course. There are other writing and marketing courses such as Technical Writing, Digital Marketing, and Advanced SEO for those willing to go the extra mile to gain expertise.
Duration: 4 weeks
Fees: 154.11 Pound sterling + GST
Material: Free tools worth ₹ 35 k + Pre-reading material and live video sessions
Download IIM SKILLS Content Writing Course BrochureFind Why 20,000+ People Love IIM SKILLS
Learning Benefits of Content Writing Course:
- All different types of writing are covered in a step-by-step process
- Mastery of different content writing tools and the ability to use them for your writing
- Learn the difference between traditional and online writing
- Expertise in communication, writing, and designing skills
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Adelaide
A well-known website that provides creative writing courses for those thirsty for knowledge. Creativity is a skill that needs to be cultivated and this specialization by Wesleyan University does just that. It contains five courses giving detailed explanations of four different elements that make a story and ends with a Capstone project.
It provides recorded sessions that can be accessed in a self-paced manner with assignments that will help you assess your skills as a writer. You will be able to gauge your strength areas through peer reviews and earn a shareable certificate. There are institutions like Michigan State University, California Institute of the Arts, Commonwealth Education trust, etc. giving courses on specific areas of writing, you can explore those and pick courses that suit your needs.
Duration: Flexible Schedule, Approx. 6 months
Fees: For 6 months – ₹ 1,934 per month
Material: Recorded video lessons with subtitles and downloadable reading material
- Ability to build and create complex, realistic, and unforgettable characters
- Learn to describe your imaginary world through research and creative exercises
- Brings clarity to your writing language
- Ability to revise and write a complete story, a memoir, or an essay
3. MAC Midland Arts Center
Situated in Birmingham, it’s the perfect center for beginners to explore. There are a variety of courses offered in this institute such as Writing Children’s literature, Introduction to poetry and poetic, Creative writing improvers, etc. You can start with the creative writing courses in Birmingham that fits your learning requirements.
However, for beginners the Creative writing beginners program will help in starting their writing journey. Techniques such as Free Writing and Clustering will be examined and you will be applying them to your writing along with group discussions. The sessions are held in the Bryant Room, MAC which is also wheelchair accessible and can accommodate support.
Duration: Every Monday from 6 PM to 8 PM for 12 weeks
Fees: From ₹ 10,253.96
Material: Hand-outs of topics will be provided
- Apply the techniques of published writers to your own writing
- Group work will increase your knowledge and understanding of others’ writing style
- Learn the different genres that are used in creative writing
- Further feedback and hand-outs based on your write-ups
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in London
Wouldn’t you want to get a glimpse of a master class where almost all your literary heroes let you in on their techniques, methods, or process for writing the masterpieces that have gained wide recognition? Well, here you can, and in your little nook of comfort listen to Margaret Atwood describe the minute details of creative writing.
There are other famous writers too like Salman Rushdie, Dan Brown, Shonda Rhimes, and others teaching different forms of writing. Choose the ones that speak to your inner writer and don’t forget to watch the free sample videos before applying for their creative writing courses in Birmingham.
Duration: Class length – 3 Hours 43 minutes
Fees: Annual membership Duo – ₹ 1,725 per month + taxes
Material: Download videos for offline viewing + instructor guides + access to other classes
- Ability to use the processes in myths, history, and fairy tales in your writing
- Improvement in deciding the appropriate point of view in your stories
- Proper utilization of tools to develop well-liked characters
- Ability to write a compelling story from the beginning, middle to the end
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Germany
The COMPLETE Creative writing course by Trace Crawford offers a full overview of all genres that are covered in creative writing. With over 43 videos each broken down into different modules, you will learn the art of poetry, drama, creative non-fiction, and others ending with a nineteen-minute set of videos that will help you create a digital portfolio. As it’s said in the introductory video, this course can be fun and rewarding, the quizzes in between the lessons will let you know where you stand and your writing will become more expressive.
Duration: Total length 12 hours
Fees: Can be bought for ₹ 1,299
Material: Total 145 downloadable resources including graphics, notes, assignment sheets + 43 recorded video lessons
- Ability to discover your voice and utilize it in your writing
- Improvement in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your writing style
- Ability to recognize writing concepts that can be used in your stories
- Knowing where to publish your creative portfolio
Creative writing as a course may be time-bound but the process of developing your writing is a long journey. Choosing the right course can make this journey easier to withstand. After enrolling in creative writing courses in Birmingham of your choice if possible, keep in contact with your instructors or support staff and submit your write-ups for assessment.
Their valuable feedback can help you understand where you need improvement. Use the tools, hand-outs, assignments, quizzes, and every other material given judiciously for maximum learning and inject it into your writings. Also, have fun learning the art of creative writing and who knows you might become a proficient writer in the near future!
1. What is Creative writing?
A type of writing that lets you express your imagination through words. It is most helpful in world-building where readers can travel to unknown lands which gives them a sense of adventure. It also showcases your knowledge of different topics and through writing, readers can understand these topics easily. There are two types of creative writing which are fiction and nonfiction. Fiction mainly displays the worlds created by writers while Non-Fiction explains the existing world and topics in an artistic manner.
2. Why is creative writing important?
A term mostly put into the category of a hobby or a personal pursuit it is gaining more recognition in organizations as an important job that increases their visibility. Organizations understand the need for continuous online presence so they hire creative writers who can project their brand name and increase their value. There are also institutions that encourage a creative mindset in students, through writing they can vocalize their problems clearly and improve interaction with teachers, peers, and higher authorities. An experience in creative writing through creative writing courses in Birmingham can earn you extra credit or improve your prospects for job positions you like.
3. Who can study creative writing?
It is not age-specific and can be pursued by anyone who has an interest in creative writing. However, there might be some institutes that have age limits. Check their websites before applying. It can be studied simply for personal enlightenment or also for furthering your chances as a professional writer. As mentioned above in some of the creative writing courses in Birmingham this subject can be both fun and rewarding. So, engage in the assignments and activities as much as possible. All you need is a pen and paper (or a laptop/any other technological device with a good internet connection) and you are ready to go!
4. How can I apply for a creative writing course?
Almost all institutes have a website or social media page or blog where you can access their contact information and look for creative writing courses in Birmingham. You can directly apply by filling out a form provided online or you can speak with the support staff or instructors to know more about the courses. Specify what you want to learn and chances are they may accommodate your needs and provide sources or material that can improve your writing.
5. What kind of job opportunities are available for creative writers?
Companies that provide placements require candidates to have specific knowledge of topics such as content curation, SEO writing, script writing, content editing, etc. With the right creative writing courses in Birmingham, you can learn these concepts and apply for positions such as:
- Content marketing executive,
- Junior/Senior creative strategist,
- Creative content manager,
- Associate content writer,
- Junior/Senior Scriptwriter,
- Social media manager, etc.
You can also become a freelance writer and choose projects that fit your working style. The Job descriptions will contain the length of the project and the responsibilities required. You can apply based on your agenda and negotiate if needed.