14 Most Useful Digital Marketing Tips for Beginners
Before we start discussing details about digital marketing tips for beginners, we need to understand what digital marketing is. Marketing and advertising have been in practice since the advent of consumerism for the promotion of new and existing products.
Companies follow novel approaches to be ahead of the competition by strategizing and employing different tactics to capture market share. However, with the development of technology, digital marketing has allowed companies to reach out to a larger customer base across different geographies, boundaries, and time zones.
To pitch their products and allow customers to access these promotions from the comfort of their homes, cafes, offices, as per their convenience and choice, digital marketing comes in handy. The digital marketing technique is using the internet and electronic devices to promote products and business to existing and new customers, locally and internationally.
It includes activities like content marketing, email marketing, mobile marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and a lot more. Digital marketing is about capturing the customer’s attention where they spend most of their time today, that is the internet. Moreover, it means to generate e-commerce through phones, computers, laptops allowing the customer to browse their choices and shop from an armchair.
This is only projected to grow in the future- with the innovation of newer technology and methods of selling products and generating business. So, what are some effective digital marketing tips for beginners to stay ahead in the competition?
Top Digital Marketing Tips for Beginners
1. Understand Digital Marketing Terminology
If you are in the business of digital marketing, then you should know the terms used for reference and how to use them appropriately. Effective usage of words in SEO is a critical factor to register your product or business in search listings.
If not done correctly, your content will rank lower in search listings and customers will probably not browse further than the first couple of pages, hence will not reach your posted content, thus making it ineffective. This one is an important aspect of digital marketing tips for beginners.
2. Post Relevant Content
In the sea of digital marketing, content needs to be posted regularly with appropriate SEO so as it remains relevant.
As per HubSpot data, publishing at least once a week is critical for ROI, which drops if published less frequently. Content needs to be informative, entertaining, and valuable to allow customers to subscribe to your email and share details for better promotion.
3. Have Visible Presence on Social Media Platforms
Businesses and their products need to be seen online on social media platforms, and they should have a significant presence throughout.
Businesses need to identify the social media platforms where their customers spend most of their time and promote products to existing and new customers. Social media outreach is key to promoting products by word of mouth.
4. Optimize Website for Easy Access on Phones and Tablets
One of the most prominent dent tips in digital marketing tips for beginners is that your website should be optimized for easy and quick viewing across phone and tablet platforms.
The layout and accessibility should not be cumbersome and should be customer-centric allowing them to browse quickly and effectively. Customers spend 90% of their browsing time on phones. Hence, keeping your website easily accessible is very important.
5. Be an Effective Designer
Designing makes or breaks your digital marketing campaign. Whether it is text, images, videos, or audio, there needs to be synchrony between the elements. If your content does not reach out to the customer’s requirement by capturing their attention, then probably it will fail.
Tools like Canva, Photoshop, Kuler provide options to design catchy themes and campaigns. Having a good design concept is important for the promotion and sale of products and needs to be remembered as a cue to digital marketing tips for beginners.
6. Creating an Email List
This needs to be prepared at the start of the business and needs to be updated all along. New launches, updates on business, products offered, etc. will be topics part of the mailing list and should be remembered as part of learning digital marketing tips for beginners. The mails should be informative and valuable and not considered spam; the subject needs to be curated in that manner.
7. Allocate Budget for Digital Advertising
Separate resources need to be allocated for digital advertising including PPC (pay per click) campaigns such as Google ads, Microsoft ads, social media advertising on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, and mobile ads. These greatly support the success and should be remembered as a code for digital marketing for beginners.
Download the Course Brochure to know about digital marketing modules in-depth.
8. Usage of Infographics
Our brains are receptive to pictures that attract our attention and retain information. As such campaigns should focus on infographics to relay information, these will get shared and will have a greater impact than just text campaigns. As a guide to digital marketing tips for beginners, this practice should be incorporated.
9. Usage of Video Marketing
With the growth of video usage on social media platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, this has become an effective tool to market products. Videos can be live feeds and branded videos; live feeds have the advantage of greater interaction with customers to leave their comments and be responded to.
Videos should convey the information capturing the audience’s attention. Usage of appropriate keywords in the title is important to get greater viewership and needs to be remembered as important digital marketing tips for beginners.
10. Understand the Difference between Branding and Marketing
It is important to build your branding through marketing campaigns and not just focus on products. Building a brand image assists in sustenance in the market, which boosts the launch of new products and upgrades to the existing portfolio. This is an important factor as part of digital marketing tips for beginners.
11. SEO Rankings
This is an important aspect of getting your website indexed on Google. A smart SEO strategy will ensure your website ranks in top searches, and algorithms recognize the keywords. To capture viewership for your website, top site indexing plays a crucial role in bringing online traffic.
12. Automating Tasks
This will help in prioritizing work and effective utilization of resources. Automation of emails, notifications, social media posts will help in focusing on multiple projects simultaneously and speed up work all at the same time.
13. Create Content that People are Searching for
Google Analytics guides you in searching for keywords and topics consumers are searching for. Create content that answers consumer questions on these topics.
Content should be valuable, relevant, and appeal to the customer’s questions. Using the human approach to appeal to consumer senses and not just blindly pitch products, the emotional connect goes a long way in establishing trust in the brand and retention and acquisitions.
14. Usage of Tools that Allow Digital Sales
Tools like chatbots greatly assist in customer interaction. Consumers are looking for quick answers to their queries, and if not responded may move to another brand.
A chatbot will assist in guiding customers to their answers instantly. Pre-recorded demos also help in giving customers insights on the product and solving a lot of their questions by pausing, playing and, rewatching the demos for detailed information.
The use of appointment tools like Calendly assists in scheduling meetings with leads. Use appropriate transaction gateways to close on sales online and provide customers with multiple payment options to choose from.
Digital marketing for beginners can be perplexing; however, one can opt for courses from recognized and market leaders in this industry. They have extensive programs that provide effective digital marketing tips for beginners and assist to learn the ropes.
Apart from comprehensive courses, they also provide free internships, access to training materials online through learning management systems, and 24/7 online support for questions and doubts.
With more companies jumping on the digital marketing bandwagon, these courses have gained immense popularity and assisted young marketing professionals greatly in securing lucrative job and career options. Some of the noted institutes and their course details are mentioned below:
1. Digital Marketing Course from IIM SKILLS
IIM SKILLS is a leader in digital marketing and their content writing course. They have trained thousands of successful digital marketing professionals and their current curriculum focuses on market-relevant material and up-to-date skills. A great learning center of digital marketing tips for beginners. the main course highlights are:
|Content Writing And Blogging|
|Search Engine Optimization|
|Social Media Marketing|
|Search Engine Marketing|
|WordPress Web Development|
|Integrated Digital Marketing Strategy|
|Online Reputation Management|
|Content Writing And Blogging|
|Digital Infographic Resume Preparation|
– 180 hours of Comprehensive Live Training
– 15+ Live Projects/ 10+ Case Studies
– 3 Months Program
– Tools worth INR 79000 +
– Master 40 Digital Marketing Modules
– Master Certification through IIM Skills & and preparation for 13 Other Certifications
– 3 months guaranteed internship
– Launch your own Digital Marketing Agency
– Letter of recommendation + Certification
– More than 300 + Placement Partners to provide assistance with Interview Support
– Personalized Mentorship for Career and Business
– How to launch your Podcast with Apple, Google, and Spotify
2. IIDE – Indian Institute of Digital Marketing
IIDE offers different digital marketing programs to match learner objectives. 3 of their main courses are:
a. Post-Graduation in Digital Marketing
– 11 months intense training module
– 2 months mandatory internship
– 100% Placement Guarantee
b. Advanced Digital Marketing Training
– 70+ hours of live classes
– 40+ hours of Video Courses
– Resume and Interview Training
c. Short Term Certifications in Digital Marketing
– 13+ Unique topics
– Videos + Live Sessions
– Flexible timings Per Course
– Certificate of Completion
3. Digital Marketing Specialist by Simplilearn
Simplilearn has an intensive digital marketing course that covers:
– SEO knowledge, Content Marketing, PPC, and Digital Analytics
– Social media knowledge, Mobile Marketing, and Digital Strategy
– Advanced Web Analytics
– Advanced Search Engine Optimization
– Advanced Pay Per Click Program
– Advanced social media (with Facebook Blueprint Voucher)
– Digital Marketing Capstone
4. The Complete Digital Marketing Course by Udemy
Udemy covers over 20 hours of training and quizzes with practical knowledge. Topics covered are SEO, YouTube Marketing, Facebook Marketing, Google Adwords, Google Analytics, and other topics. Key features are
– Market Research
– Email writing
– SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
– YouTube Marketing
– Social Media Marketing through Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Quora.
– LinkedIn Marketing
– App Marketing
– Google Adwords
– Facebook Ads
– Google Analytics
5. Certified Digital Marketing Master Program by Digital Vaidya
The CDMM course offered by Digital Vaidya visits various techniques of Digital Marketing through a series of 44 modules:
– Search Engine Optimization (SEO) 4 modules
– Search Engine Marketing (SEM/Google Adwords) 5 modules
– Social Media Marketing (SMM) 5 modules
– Email Marketing 3 modules
– Inbound Marketing 4 modules
– Web Analytics 5 modules
– Facebook Marketing 2 modules
– Other Digital Marketing Topics 15 modules
6. PG Program in Strategic Digital Marketing by GreatLearning
GreatLearning offers a 6-month online program with live personalized mentorship. Key features of their course are:
– Creation of Blog/Website/Social Media Page/YouTube Channel to be used for Digital Marketing classes
– Customer Understanding and Insights
– Customer Acquisition and Engagement Strategy
– Customer Nurturing Strategy and Digital Marketing Tactics
– Marketing Analytics and Campaign Management
– Capstone Projects
– Digital Marketing Certifications
National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT) is reputed for skill-based courses and has been awarded for its contribution in the field of upskilling. They offer a digital marketing course that is online and has weekend batch options. Key highlights are:
– Admission is based on the initial screening/selection process
– The course is a blend of Instructor-led modules and practical hands-on methodology
– There is also a self-paced learning module option with guided practice and a unique pedagogy
– The curriculum covers Fundamentals of marketing and digital media
– Digital Marketing tools and techniques
– Advanced Digital Marketing
– Certification preparations
– Review of case studies for better understanding
8. PG Certification in Digital Marketing and Communication by UpGrad
UpGrad is an online portal for higher education. They are also reputed for providing one of the top digital marketing courses in India. The module is online with key features:
– Hands-On experience with over 20+ tools
– One-One student-mentor ratio for personal attention
– More than 15 case studies and opportunities to work on live projects
– Modules covering SEO, SMM, SEM, Content Marketing, Branding, Marketing Analysis
– Opportunity to be mentored by Industry experts and run live marketing campaigns
– Certifications from Facebook and MICA
9. Digital Marketing Course by Henry Harvin
Key features of their course are:
– Duration/Mode – 32 hours Live Virtual Training + 1-year free Bootcamp sessions
– Trainers – With the expertise of 10+ years of experience
– Membership – 1-year membership of Henry Harvin Digital Marketing Academy including e-learning access accessed through recorded videos, games, projects, case studies, and free brush-up sessions
– Alumni Status – Be a part of the Henry Harvin alumni status and join the alumni network across the globe
– Internship – Guaranteed Internship with Henry Harvin or partner firms post successful completion of the course
– Job Opportunities – Weekly 10+ job opportunities
– Live Projects – Experience with hands-on industry projects during training
More Courses at IIM SKILLS
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which certification is best for digital marketing in India?
– There are a lot of reputed institutes that provide digital marketing certification and digital marketing tips for beginners in India.
Above mentioned institutes are market leaders with experienced faculty and practical curriculum. One can opt for digital marketing courses from these institutes.
Apart from a robust curriculum, they also give internship and job assistance options, access to industry-relevant materials, and recorded sessions which are of great help.
2. Is digital marketing a good career?
– Digital marketing is a lucrative career. With the advancement of technology and change in marketing strategies, companies are hiring professional digital marketers to enhance their marketing campaigns.
The starting salary is 25-35K per month depending on the region. However, it is a highly fast-paced competitive environment, and one must be innovative with strategies to be successful, an important consideration as part of digital marketing tips for beginners.
3. What is SEO in digital marketing?
– Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing web traffic through search engines to your website, blog, etc. SEO targets unpaid traffic also referred to as “organic” results rather than direct or paid traffic.
SEO is the key to a successful campaign and needs to be remembered as an important point for digital marketing tips for beginners.
4. Can I get a job after the successful completion of the digital marketing course?
– With the demand for new marketing strategies, companies are hiring certified digital marketing professionals to enhance their productivity.
One can get a job as SEO Specialist, Content Writer, or Social Media Manager with a salary range of 5 lacs to 18 lacs per annum on average.
5. Which is the better institute for the digital marketing course, Henry Harvin or IIM Skills?
Though both institutes have a great curriculum and experienced faculty, IIM Skills provides HubSpot Certification Preparation, which holds a slight edge over Henry Harvin.
6. How can I start digital marketing?
There are instant things that can be done to start a Digital marketing career and are important things to be remembered as digital marketing tips for beginners.
– Start by creating an online presence with a website, blog, social media handle, channel, etc.
– Understand the latest trends in digital marketing and what is the pulse of the market.
– Be creative in your campaigns to capture the target audience by authentic, valuable content and converting leads into sales.
– Increase your network by being active on social media and making your presence felt.
– Learn Analytics to understand how your campaigns perform and website traffic trends. Make amends to increase traffic flow to your content by optimizing available options.
7. Is coding required for digital marketing?
– If you know the programming language that is an additional skill, however, for digital marketing, coding is not required.
8. Is digital marketing in demand for 2022?
– Digital marketing will be one of the most sought-after careers in 2022 post the Covid pandemic since consumerism has gained traction online.
This provides opportunities for companies to hire more digital marketers to cater to the online demand. Hence skilled, talented digital marketers will benefit from this demand.
9. What is the highest salary in digital marketing?
– At an executive level, the approximate highest salary is INR 5,00,000 and at a manager role, the approximate highest salary is INR 10,00,000.
So, is digital marketing a lucrative career? Yes, because the opportunities are only set to grow from hereon. Unfortunately situations like the Covid pandemic have only boosted its impetus where companies and consumers have been spending more time online on different e-commerce websites, social media platforms.
The opportunity to market products across different platforms, geographies, gender, age groups, etc have increased since consumerism has shifted from brick-and-mortar stores to online shopping. This shift has only created opportunities for digital marketers to innovate strategies and make their presence felt.
It is a highly competitive world where constant change is the norm, which is accepted, and new ideas are generated on the fly. One needs to be creative with their marketing skills to tap on the opportunity and capture the customer database.
The content needs to be curated to customer needs. It needs to be captivating, original, and target-based. With a plethora of options available, consumers will move ahead if they do not find the marketing content appealing or relevant. But with all its dynamism and instability digital marketing is here to stay and develop.
Even if we move out of the pandemic, which we will in some time, digital marketing strategies will remain the same for companies. This is the new normal which is here to stay. So, if you have doubts about whether you should opt for a digital marketing course, this is the right time and opportunity.
Getting certified from a reputed institute with relevant content and experienced faculty will assist in picking up market applicable skills, which are very important to be a successful digital marketer. An internship opportunity further lets you use the knowledge learned in industry-based projects, which adds to further experience.
Most of these institutes have placement cells that assist with finding jobs in digital marketing roles, however, if you would like to pursue options like freelancing, the skills learned will further allow exploring options across industries and organizations.
There are equal opportunities for all who are creative, talented, and can understand what the consumer wants and provide tailor-based solutions to fulfill those needs. There is no prior qualification required to be successful as a digital marketer.
The skills can be learned; however, application of the knowledge requires an understanding of digital marketing as a concept and adapting to the constant shift in approach. If you are creative, connect with consumers at a human need level, understand the market trends, and can provide options to consumers as required, then you will definitely be a success as a digital marketer.