Top 4 Creative Writing Courses in Glasgow
Do you have a flair for writing and an active imagination? Do you have a passion for storytelling? If you think you are creative enough to bring the entire world to life with your pen, then you should give serious thought to a course in creative writing. The right guidance from a capable mentor will hone your writing skills to the point where you can effectively transform your ideas into words that sell. With that in mind, allow us to take you through a list of the best creative writing courses in Glasgow.
First, Let’s Try to Understand What Creative Writing is.
Broadly speaking, creative writing is a type of writing that seeks to elicit an emotional response in the reader, often by communicating a particular theme. A central theme is usually a feature of a creative writing piece. Creative writers often make artistic use of language, by employing various literary devices such as metaphors, similes, symbolism, foreshadowing, etc.
Creative writing involves expressing yourself in an imaginative and original way. Unlike academic or technical writing, where it’s important to adhere to a prescribed format, creative writing places emphasis on giving the writer more freedom of self-expression.
Some of the Key Elements of Creative Writing Are:
- Seeking to evoke specific emotions in the reader
- A central theme
- Narrative craft
- Character development
- Opinion or perspective
- Personal insights and feelings about specific events
- Use of literary devices like metaphors, symbolism, etc.
To Gain a Better Understanding of the Subject, Let’s Take a Look at What is and What Isn’t Creative Writing.
Types of Creative Writing
1) Fiction – This category includes imaginary stories and accounts of imaginary events. Depending on the word count, fictional pieces are categorized as novels (more than 40,000 words), novellas (10,000 – 40,000 words), novelettes (7500-19,000 words), short stories (5000 – 10,000 words), and flash fiction (less than 1000 words).
2) Poetry – Poems may have a fixed length (e.g., sonnet – 14 lines) or be of any length, and may or may not rhyme. However, emotional content and a central theme are essential components of any poem.
3) Screenplays, TV Scripts, and Plays – Unlike novels and short stories, screenplays, TV scripts, and plays are meant to be performed by actors. Screenplays are made into movies and TV scripts are made into sitcoms, while plays are performed on stage. Movies and television sitcoms also tell stories, but unlike novels, they put much more emphasis on dialogue, as they don’t contain descriptive passages (unless there is background narration).
4) Creative Non-fiction – Not all creative writing is fictional. Non-fictional compositions can also be considered a part of creative writing if they contain any of its key elements. The common categories of creative non-fiction are: –
- Memoirs – A memoir is a recollection of specific events or a specific period in the writer’s life. In contrast to an autobiography, they usually deal with a single important aspect of the writer’s life, for instance, a specific phase in one’s career. Often, elements of creative writing like opinions and insights about particular events are woven into the story.
- Biographies and Autobiographies – Unlike memoirs, they usually describe the complete life story of the subject. As is the case with memoirs, insights, opinions, storytelling techniques and character development are all important features.
- Literary Journalism – Literary journalism involves presenting non-fictional events using narrative techniques and other literary devices that are usually employed while writing fiction. In other words, it can be described as news presented like a story, with proper development of characters and a plot. Literary journalism aims to inform and entertain readers at the same time. Feature stories are an important example.
- Humor Writing – Political satire, observational humor, and stand-up comedy all come under this heading.
Also, learn more about the best Creative Writing Courses in London
What Isn’t Creative Writing?
Examining this question will make the picture clearer. The following types of compositions are not considered creative writing: –
- Scientific research papers
- Theses and dissertations
- News articles
- Technical reports
- Personal and professional emails
- Informative essays.
These types of compositions present information, dispense knowledge, and relay messages. Narrative techniques and literary devices are not employed for these purposes. Cold hard facts are stated in a straightforward manner. An important point worth noting is that the rules governing what constitutes creative writing and what doesn’t are very rigid.
They are flexible enough to allow some differences of opinion regarding certain grey areas. For example, a broad category that might normally not be considered creative writing might have some particular pieces that contain some key creative elements, or an informative essay or blog may have certain passages where creative techniques have been used.
Now Let’s Have a Look at Some of the Best Creative Writing Courses in Glasgow.
1. IIM SKILLS
For the past several years, IIM SKILLS have been a pioneer in the field of online education. They provide skill-based courses that are suitable for both working professionals and students. They focus on training their students in skills that are currently in demand at the workplace so that they can make rapid strides in their careers.
Their Content Writing Course is very popular. It’s a perfect blend of creativity and marketing. Students who enroll in the course are taught how to create great content for the web and how to sell it effectively. A number of different forms of creative writing such as articles, blogs, brochures, flyers, promotional emails, and e-books are discussed.
The course is very practical in nature, and the training is hands-on. The trainers are acclaimed industry experts with many years of experience. Students benefit from their insights and first-hand knowledge of the industry. The course is entirely online, so students sitting in any corner of the globe can benefit from it.
Download IIM SKILLS Content Writing Course BrochureFind Why 20,000+ People Love IIM SKILLS
Added bonuses are a dedicated placement cell, lifetime access to course materials, and online support for students. Their students have gone on to have rewarding careers as content creators. Reviews and testimonials are uniformly positive. So IIM SKILLS should be among your first choices if you decide to go with creative writing courses in Glasgow.
Professional Courses from IIM SKILLS
- Digital Marketing Course
- SEO Course
- Technical Writing Course
- GST Course
- Financial Modeling Course
- Business Accounting And Taxation Course
- CAT Coaching
Contact: +919580740740, [email protected]
Here are the best Creative Writing Courses in Edinburgh
2. University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is an excellent choice for anyone who is interested in creative writing courses in Glasgow. Founded in the mid15th century, it is one of the oldest universities in the English-speaking world. The University of Glasgow has an interesting history. It became a pioneer in the field of education when it increasingly began providing education to the wards of the common folk in the 19th century.
Prior to this, universities catered mainly to the upper class. Returning to the present age, for many years now Glasgow has consistently ranked among the top 100 universities in the world, according to reputable surveyors such as Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and CWTS Leiden. If you become an alumnus of the University of Glasgow, you will find yourself in august company.
Alumni of the university include some important historical figures, including three former British prime ministers (Henry Campbell-Bannerman, William Lamb, and Bonar Law), two Scottish first ministers (Donald Dewar and Nicola Sturgeon), and a signatory to the American declaration of independence (James Wilson), besides other notable figures from fields as diverse as economics, physics, and medicine, eight of whom are Nobel prize recipients.
The University of Glasgow offers a post-graduate M Litt. (Master of letters) degree in creative writing, both full-time (12 months) and part-time (24 months). The course is also offered online. According to the university of Glasgow website, their creative writing course places emphasis on both embracing new concepts and techniques and connecting with the history of different genres of writing.
Their creative writing course is highly acclaimed. It is counted among the best creative writing courses in Glasgow. The university has tutors and students from all over the world, lending an international flavor to their creative writing department. They teach conventional forms of creative writing such as essays, novels, translations, etc, and also encourage their students to experiment and come up with new styles of writing.
Check out the best Online Creative Writing Courses
Coursera is the global leader when it comes to providing quality education online. The founders of Coursera are ex-Stanford University professors, so it’s no surprise that the quality of the courses available here is top-notch. Courses on all conceivable subjects can be found here, from arts and humanities to science and technology and business and accounting.
They have tie-ups with Yale, Princeton, Stanford, and other world-renowned universities. A number of good courses on creative writing can be found on Coursera. A few of these are listed below: –
- Creative writing by Wesleyan University
- Sharpened Visions: A poetry workshop by the California Institute of the arts
- Scriptwriting: Write a plot episode for a TV or web series by Michigan State University
- Write your first novel by Michigan State university
- Transmedia Storytelling
As one can see, all aspects of creative writing are covered on Coursera. An added bonus is that a number of these courses are completely free. You only have to pay if you wish to purchase a certificate at the end of the course. Due to the high quality of their courses, I would recommend Coursera to anyone looking for creative writing courses in Glasgow.
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Germany
4. Stanford University
Stanford is a name that needs no introduction. Counted among the most prestigious universities in the world, Stanford university is a dream destination for students from around the world. Those pursuing a course in creative writing will be pleased to know that Stanford university offers online creative writing courses and workshops.
The instructors at Stanford are eminent journalists, playwrights, and novelists, so students who take up creative writing courses at Stanford will get the benefit of the personal experience of people who’ve actually been there and done that. You can be sure that you will get the opportunity to master all forms of creative writing techniques if you choose to go with Stanford. All genres of creative writing are taught at Stanford University.
A Few of the Courses Offered Are: –
- Heroes, Villains, and Ordinary People: Bringing Characters to Life
- A Book’s Journey: From Manuscript to Publication
- No Critics, No Fear: Write a Novel in 30 Days
All those interested in creative writing courses in Glasgow must check out Stanford University.
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Birmingham
1) What is the average annual salary for a creative writer in India?
In India, the annual salary for a creative writer lies in the range of 1.4 to 10 lakh, with the average being 4 lakh per annum. The salaries of most writers fall in this range. However, there are also outliers. If you become a celebrated writer and make it big, then the sky is the limit.
2) What are the career choices for a creative writer?
The job of a creative writer is basically to produce content that is appealing and engaging. There are plenty of industries and platforms that are in constant need of such content, providing the creative writer with a number of careers to choose from. Some of them are: –
- Copywriter – Copywriters create writeup for advertising. The ability to grab your readers’ attention and connect with them emotionally is essential for advertising. Copywriters’ work is featured on billboards, flyers, catalogs, and other conventional advertising material, and also in social media posts, online product descriptions, promotional emails, and websites.
- Scriptwriter – If you have a knack for writing dialogues and creating plots for stories, then scriptwriting is the career choice for you. As a scriptwriter, your job will be to create content for movies, plays, TV serials, commercials, and YouTube videos.
- Author – Becoming a published author has gotten much easier because of the internet. Nowadays, almost anyone who has a knack for writing and/or a story worth telling can become an author.
- Blogger/Article writer – This genre of writing is particularly suited for those who are especially knowledgeable about one particular subject. Based on your area of expertise, you can become a travel blogger, fashion blogger, tech blogger, etc.
- Teacher- You can also become a creative writing teacher, and teach the ins and outs of the trade to budding writers.
There are a number of other career options besides these that you can opt for after completing creative writing courses in Glasgow.
3) Can I build a successful career as a freelance creative writer?
Yes, you can, but one needs to be incredibly self-motivated in order to do so. Other than technical writing skills, which will be taken care of if you enroll in one of the creative writing courses in Glasgow, the key to a successful career as a freelance creative writer is to be proactive. You must not wait for work to come find you. You must seek it actively seek it out and advertise yourself online. Aggressive marketing is the key to succeeding as a freelancer. Include as many people in your network as possible.
This puts you in a position to get useful information in a timely manner. Diversification is also an essential key to success as a freelancer. Freelancers must cultivate a number of long-term clients, and never depend on just one big client for all of their work. It also helps to specialize in 2-3 niche areas, because all industries go through cycles of recession and boom (e.g., dine-in restaurants were the hardest hit during the Covid-19 pandemic, whereas online delivery services saw their business volume go up dramatically).
4) Is there an option to do creative writing courses in Glasgow online?
Yes, there is. All of the institutes listed above offer both online and on-campus options to those pursuing creative writing courses in Glasgow.
The written word has been around for ages. The fact that some of the best-loved literary classics are hundreds of years old is a testament to the longevity of well-written prose and poetry. So, if you have innate writing talent, any one of the above-listed creative writing courses in Glasgow will supplement it with useful practical knowledge and give you a skill set that will feed you for life. Experienced mentors will not only help you to sharpen your skills, but they will also bring you up to speed on best practices, industry standards, and prevailing market trends.
Their insights about the trade will benefit you immensely. Also, with the advent of the internet, there is now an explosion of information and content online. The web has a voracious appetite for new content, and the inevitable need to satisfy that hunger has created a whole host of career opportunities for the new generation of writers. The right guidance will put you in a position to take full advantage of these opportunities.
Aside from the obvious economic benefits, creative writing courses in Glasgow will also help you to grow intellectually, enhance your thinking ability and enrich your personality. You will learn to think deeply about various topics, come up with thought-provoking insights and express yourself in an engaging way that instantly arrests people’s attention. So, quit wasting time. A creative writing course from any of the above providers will, in no time, have you scribbling away furiously with pen and paper (or tapping away furiously at the keyboard). Get enrolled today and let your words become bread.