Top 8 Technical Writing Courses in Egypt
Do you have the flair for writing? Are you interested in exploring what potential career opportunities your writing skills can provide? Do you want to enhance your writing skills and make a debut in the writing industry? Read the complete article to get detailed information on technical writing. The post also provides details on the top 8 technical writing courses in Egypt.
What is technical writing?
Technical writing is a form of writing where the content is focused on a specific subject, process, or product and includes technical information about the same. The primary goal of technical writing is to inform and make things clear to the target user. The writing style should break down complex technical information into easily understandable and digestible forms.
Also, it should be free from any technical jargon. A few examples of technical writing include providing technical specifications of a product, a detailed review or comparison of products based on the technical specs, or a step-by-step tutorial or a guide detailing how to use a product.
As much as it sounds easy, technical writing is not for sissies and it requires a level of technical understanding of the product or services along with good writing skills. If this sounds interesting, take a deep dive into the rest of the article to explore technical writing courses in Egypt.
But, let us understand a little bit about the scope of technical writing scope, career options, and different types of technical writing before going straight into the details of the technical writing courses in Egypt.
Difference between content writing and technical writing
Though content writing and technical writing primarily focus on digital marketing, there are significant variations between the two.
- Technical writing is mainly about educating the target audience on a given product.
- It requires the writer to be well-versed with the product and associated technical jargon.
- The writing style should be clear, authentic, and without any exaggeration.
- The writer must have extensive expertise and awareness of the domain and the product. Should provide the necessary scientific information to back up the writing.
- Content writing is vast as it can range topics from religion to fitness to spirituality to sports to technology to travel.
- It requires the writer to be a jack of all crafts because the scope is broad.
- The writing style should be unique, intriguing, and interesting to attract the audience as there will be a lot of content around most of the subjects already available.
- The writer need not have a profound understanding of the subject as in some forms of writing like blogging, it will be more about expressing the author’s opinions and personal experiences.
Scope of Technical Writing
Below are a few areas, along with the relevant scope of technical writing in each of them, to give you an idea of the wide range of possibilities. Depending on the niche and interest in a specific area, one can pick the relevant industry.
IT/Consulting: Because of the rapid advancements in technology, one of the most notable industries where technical writers are in high demand is information technology. White papers, user manuals, SOPs (standard operating procedures) are a few forms of technical writing in the IT or Consulting space.
Medical Field: Technical writers specializing in medical writing have many opportunities like – regulatory and research-related documents, articles for medical journals, clinical study reports, clinical trial protocols, posters and presentations for medical conferences, etc.
Aerospace: Listed below are a few examples of technical documentation needs in the Aerospace industry:
- Developing installation and maintenance documentation from engineering drawings that cater to regulatory and quality requirements
- Component maintenance manuals
- Aircraft maintenance manuals
Health: Many pharmaceutical & health insurance companies require technical writers to create a wide variety of medical and healthcare-related documents, articles, marketing, education materials, etc.
Security: Many opportunities exist in the cyber security space and would require writers to detail:
- comprehensive cyber security strategy
- security policies
- training manuals for cyber security training
- manuals for auditing procedure
Recommended Read: Digital Marketing Courses in Egypt
Types of Technical Writing
Below are a few types of documents that require strong technical writing skills.
- User Manuals
- White papers
- Case studies
- Handbooks & User guides
- Product descriptions
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Product Reviews
Technical writing is a lucrative and fascinating career as it involves continuous learning. It also helps gain industry-specific domain knowledge and opens up many other opportunities. Many companies spend a lot of money to ensure premium and quality content is available to their target audience.
We live in an era of communication. Therefore, honing your writing skills will always give you a competitive advantage and better career prospects.
- Freelancing: Freelancing websites like Fiverr, Upwork provide opportunities where you can pick projects based on your schedules, passion, and interest. It is a great start to earn a few extra bucks.
- Full-time: There are a lot of opportunities for full-time technical writers across different industries. Refer to the Technical Writing Scope section of the article to get a glimpse of opportunities across industries.
Top 8 Technical Writing Courses in Egypt
Let us now get into the details of the top 8 Technical Writing Courses in Egypt. Before making a head start in the writing field, it is important to acquire the required skills from a trustworthy and prominent institute. The details furnished below will help you make a comparison and choose the best among the technical writing courses in Egypt.
1. IIM SKILLS
IIM SKILLS is one of the prominent ed-tech institutes based in India that provides online professional courses to help build your career. It is one of the prestigious institutions which offers technical writing courses in Egypt or any other country across the globe.
They offer an organized and well-defined course curriculum that suits everyone (students, working professionals, homemakers, etc.). Also, you can even attend the classes from the convenience of your own home because they are online.
Course Name: Technical Writing Master Course
Duration: 5 weeks (20 Hours of Lectures, 60+ hours of Practical Assignments)
Fee: Rs. 14,900 + 18% GST
Download IIM SKILLS Technical Writing Course BrochureFIND WHY 20,000+ PEOPLE LOVE IIM SKILLS
Technical Writing Course Curriculum:
- How to Write
- Creating your Content
- Technical Reports
- White Papers/Journals
- DDLC & Versioning
- Conversational Writing
- Reviewing and Publishing
- API Documentation
- Datasheets, User Manuals, and application notes
- Effective Writing
- Medical Writing
- A case study on application notes from Texas
Apart from this, you will develop familiarity with tools like MS Visio, MS Project, Git, Scribus, Canva, PowerPoint, etc. In addition to the above, you will get the following benefits:
- One month guaranteed internship
- Lifetime support (Technical/Consulting)
- Portfolio development for freelancing or full-time job
- White Paper publication
- Publication of a scholarly article
- Technical blog publication with Times of India
There are many advantages to signing up for this course with IIM SKILLS
- Training from industry experts helps you stay relevant to industry trends and needs.
- An international certification towards the end of the course will boost your portfolio.
- Lifetime free access to the LMS (Learning Management System) portal.
- A dedicated placement cell to provide global placement assistance.
Other Courses offered by IIM SKILLS
- Digital Marketing Course
- SEO Course
- Content Writing Course
- Financial Modeling Course
- Business Accounting And Taxation Course
- CAT Coaching
Contact: +919580740740, [email protected]
Udemy is one of the most trusted online learning and teaching marketplace. It helps students across the globe to access a wide variety of content catering to several topics. With its global presence, Udemy is one of the best choices for online technical writing courses in Egypt.
Usually, as the content is in recorded video format, users can access it from anywhere and anytime. Hence, the users have the flexibility to go at a pace suitable for them as there are no deadlines for completion. The content of the courses usually is segregated into several small logical videos. So, it is not very demanding for the students.
In addition to that, thanks to multi-device support, users can view course content on a TV, tablet, laptop, or smartphone. Also, lifetime access to the content (video and other resources) and course completion certificate are guaranteed.
Course Name: Professional Technical Writing
Duration: 6-hour on-demand videos
Fee: Rs. 12,800/- with a 30-day money-back guarantee
Prerequisites: Windows PC, MS Office, and basic English grammar
What You Get:
- 107 Lectures
- Over 6 Hours of Video
- Supplementary documents in PDF format
- 6 PDF eBooks
- 36 Quizzes
- 22 Exercise Sheets
- 22 Solution Sheets
- A final assignment that gets reviewed personally by the instructor
- Weekly updates on writing tips, ideas, etc. for free
Recommended Read: Content Writing Courses in Egypt
Coursera is another prominent platform offering technical writing courses in Egypt. They collaborate with universities and educational institutions to offer online programs in line with the market and industry needs. They provide certifications and degrees in a wide variety of subjects. The content usually is in the form of on-demand videos.
Hence, there is no deadline for completion. Users can complete at a pace suitable to them. The Technical Writing courses in Egypt designed by Coursera help refine the technical writing skills of the writer to communicate the information gained through experiments and research in a clear, concise, and digestible form.
Moreover, the course helps acquire skills to write different reports like lab reports, research reports, consulting reports, etc.
4. The American University in Cairo
Located in Cairo, AUC is a leading English-language, private research university and an American-accredited institution of higher education in Egypt. It is more than a century-old university offering American-style learning programs at different levels – undergraduate, graduate, and professional. For students or professionals who seek onsite technical writing courses in Egypt, this is a great choice.
Course Name: Advanced Scientific and Technical Writing
The course helps enhance scientific and technical communication skills required to create, refine, format content for scientific reports, articles for publishing in scientific journals, writing theses, etc.
5. Algonquin College
Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology is in Ottawa, Canada. It is a publicly funded institution. It is an international education center that provides offsite technical writing courses in Egypt. The Technical Writer Ontario College Graduate Certificate program facilitates the students in acquiring the skills and training needed to become successful technical writers.
During the one-year program, students will be creating different types of technical documents to assist users in understanding all the features of a product, service, or information.
Course Name: Technical Writer
Duration: 1 year
By providing an opportunity to create different kinds of technical documents, the Technical Writer program enables students to hone their skills needed in any professional workplace. Below are a few types of documents students will create during the course:
- White papers
- User manuals
- Laboratory reports
- Training materials
- Posters and presentations for conferences
- Online help
- Instructional videos
6. Engineering Institute of Technology
Established in 2008, the Engineering Institute of Technology became a nationally registered Higher Education Provider in 2014. EIT offers several bachelor’s, master’s, and graduate diploma programs across different engineering fields.
EIT has been delivering higher education engineering programs to international students in their Perth Campus in Australia from 2018 after achieving the status of Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students” (CRICOS).
EIT is another remarkable and prominent institute that provides online technical writing courses in Egypt.
Duration: 3 months
Module 1: Introduction to Technical Writing
- What is technical writing? What makes it unique?
- ABCs of technical writing – Accuracy, Brevity, and Clarity
- Categories of readers
- Effective communication
- Expressing Vs. Impressing
Module 2: The Development Process
- Preparing to write
- Organizing the writing
- Editing and revision
Module 3: Use of Language and Words
- Clarifying the writing
- Choice of vocabulary
- Simplifying the writing
Module 4: The Elements of Technical Writing
- Technical definitions
- Technical descriptions
Module 5: Writing of Different Types of Technical Reports
- Formal report
- Structure of a report
Module 6: Writing of Other Technical Documents
- Technical memo and background reports
- Technical proposal
- User manuals and maintenance manuals
- Journal articles
Module 7: Overview of Design (Technical) Specifications
- Specifications and design
- Design process
- Understand the problem and develop engineering specifications
Module 8: Technical Specification-Prerequisites to Writing
- Planning to write the specification
- Preparing the specification
- Specification database
- Basic specification information
- Supporting information
- Collecting and rationalizing input from different sources and specialists
- Structure of technical specifications
Module 9: Technical Specifications Writing – 1
- Different types of technical specifications
- Various uses of technical specifications
- Creating a specification template
- Writing the specification
Module 10: Technical Specifications Writing – 2
- Vetting the specification
- Reviewing specifications
- Errors in specifications
- Specification approval and authorization
- Hazardous materials
- Conflicting requirements
- Do’s and don’ts of specification writing
- Specification checklist
Module 11: Presentation Aspects
- The appearance of the document
- Text and design
- Visual aids
- Most common formats of graphics
- Highlighting techniques
- Tips for using illustrations/graphics
- Transferring information from notes to graphics/graphics to notes
Module 12: Oral Delivery of Technical Presentations
- What is communication?
- Motivation and attention
- Preparing your presentation
- Make a positive impact
- Using presentation aids effectively
- Maximizing delivery impact
- Handling difficult situations
Eligibility Criteria for Certification:
- 65% attendance at online fortnightly webinars
- 100% mark in quizzes
- 60% mark in the set assignments – written and practical assignments
Note: Students will be allowed to resubmit their assignments if they fail to acquire the required mark.
Recommended Read: Technical Writing Courses in India
7. Australian Online Courses
Australian Online Courses is another educational provider that offers technical writing courses in Egypt. They offer professional development courses which are flexible, affordable, and responsive to the needs of the users. They offer hundreds of professional development courses that span across different industries.
They design and develop courses in consultation with industry experts to make them industry-relevant and meet the needs of the professionals in enhancing their careers. Certificate of Technical Writing course imparts the necessary knowledge and skills to become a successful technical writer.
In this online technical writing course, you will learn to write different online and print material such as technical manuals, scientific documents, and articles. Also, the students will be introduced to several writing tools and techniques. Also, the course provides knowledge on combining graphics and text to convey the information clearly and precisely.
Course Name: Certificate of Technical Writing
Duration: Self-paced with 12-month access to content
Fee: $ 599
Unit 1 – Technical Writing scope
- Nature and Scope
- Quality of Information
- Nature of Language
- Characteristics of Technical Writing
Unit 2 – Presentation of Technical Writing
- Basic constituents of a document (Text, Images, Videos, White space, etc.)
- Images Types (Photos, Tables, Graphs, Charts, Drawings)
- Captions and Labels
- Key Elements (Front Matter, Body, and End matter)
- Creating an Index
- Elements of Different types of Technical Documents (References, Texts, Journals, Reports, etc.)
Unit 3 – Building Content Relevant to Audience
- Writing for an Audience
- Writing Well
- Guidelines for Writing (Jargon, Gender-neutral writing, Using simple sentences, passive or active language, first, second or third person, etc.)
- Spelling, Grammar
- Editing, Proofreading
Unit 4 – Development of a Logical Structure or Format
- Creating a Technical Document
- Research the document; gather information
- Plan; decide on the format
- Write the first draft post creation of an outline
- Verify the accuracy of the content written
- Revise; amend the document before
- Writing the First Draft
Unit 5 – Collaborative Writing
- Working in a team
- Tasks and Roles
- Technical Brief
- Strategies for Collaboration
- Style Guide
- Using Templates
- Using Email Effectively
Unit 6 –Technical Article Writing for Periodicals
- Writing for Periodicals
- Publisher Specs
- Writing Descriptions and Specifications
- Journal Abstracts
Unit 7 – Writing Manuals and Procedures
- Writing manuals
- Writing Instructions and Procedures
Unit 8 – Writing Project Proposals
- What is a Proposal?
- Proposal Categories (Solicited and Unsolicited)
- Model for Writing Proposals
- Grant Proposals
- The Stop Format
Unit 9 – Writing Project Reports
- Types of Reports
- Progress Reports
- Completion Reports
- Review Reports
- Regulatory Reports
- Feasibility Reports
- Scientific Reports
- Elements of a Formal Report
- Executive Summaries
8. Henry Harvin
Henry Harvin ranks amongst the top 500 global ed-tech companies. They are recognized by the American Association of EFL, Content Writing Association of India, UK Cert, UKAF, MSME & Govt of India. Henry Harvin is one of the prominent institutions that provide online technical writing courses in Egypt.
Course Name: Technical Writing Course
Duration: 32 Hours of Live sessions and offline projects
- Introduction to Technical Writing
- Documentation Process
- Technical Writing Process
- Grammar and Editing
- Technical Writing Software Tools
- Components of a Technical Document
- Technical Writing Techniques
- How to create Technical Document Template
- Overview of formats of Technical Documents
- Advanced Technical Writing tools
- Complimentary Module 1: Soft Skills Development
- Complimentary Module 2: Resume Writing
Henry Harvin claims a 9 in 1 course as they offer the below when you sign up for their technical writing course:
- Training: 32 hours of live online sessions
- Projects: Project Assignments to gain familiarity with the documentation process and technical writing software tools.
- Internship: Internship assistance to gain practical experience after classroom sessions.
- Certification: Certified Technical Writing Course certification from Henry Harvin, Govt of India recognized & Award-Winning Institute
- Placement: 100% placement assistance for 1-year after successful completion of program and certification
- E-Learning Access: Provides access to many tools and techniques, video content, assessments, etc.
- Hackathons: Free Access to competitions and hackathons
- Membership: 1-Year Gold Membership of Henry Harvin Writing Academy for the Certified Technical Writing Course
You will also gain familiarity with a wide variety of authoring tools, screen capture tools, image editing tools, spell-check tools, and several technical writing software tools. As a result, they will benefit you tremendously in your writing journey.
Training by industry experts will help you enhance your communication and writing skills. Finally, a certification by a globally recognized ed-tech institution will boost your chances of kick-starting your writing career.
1. What is a technical writing course?
The course provides end-to-end details on how to plan, write, and edit documents, along with best practices. It will provide details on formats to follow for different types of artifacts. The course helps gain expertise in writing and formatting different technical documents – user guides, white papers, release notes, API documentation, etc.
2. How do you become a technical writer?
To start with, you can do a professional course and obtain certification. In addition to that, the following steps will help you to become a successful technical writer.:
- Building your portfolio
- Proactively up-skilling yourself
- Acquiring in-depth domain knowledge in an industry of your choice
- Building a professional network
- Gathering clientele by being consistent with content delivery
3. What can I expect from technical writing courses in Egypt?
Below is a high-level summary of what you can get from a technical writing course:
- Basics of technical writing
- Different forms of technical writing
- Best practices for writing technical documents
- Different formats for each type of technical document
- Writing techniques to meet the needs of the target audience
4. What are the qualifications required for technical writing?
A bachelor’s degree in English or a technology-related qualification like an engineer or a combination of both is usually most desirable. Of course, a flair for writing, as well as a good certification from a renowned institution, will also help you establish your career as a technical writer.
5. Is technical writing a good career?
As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for technical writers is anticipated to grow 11 percent by the year 2026. Given the future demand, it is a good career choice.
So, there are plenty of opportunities for technical writing across several industries. Post pandemic, there is an ever-increasing demand for online presence and digital communication to raise awareness about products, services, and brands in the digital space. I hope this article provided the required details of the top 8 technical writing courses in Egypt, and it helps you take your next course of action. Do leave a comment to express your views and suggestions.