11 Golden Content Writing Rules for Aspiring Bloggers
The number and necessity of bloggers are increasing like anything in the digital medium. The count is going up because people with different aspirations, like DIY ventures, product promotions, etc., are trying to pen their specific areas of interest by employing digital advancements. If you consider the reasons behind the maximized necessity of bloggers, the USP is nothing but the feature-rich resource sharing, glued between people for a seamless and compassionate transaction. The massive evergreen storage of digital records of data is adding a catalyst for it. Let’s deepen our vision along with some golden content writing rules for aspiring bloggers.
Here are the Must-Follow Content Writing Rules
1. Be Strategic with The Keywords
Keywords are one of the prime factors when important content writing rules are discussed. It decides the reach and visibility the blog has to the audience and helps the blog rank on Google Search Engine Rank Page (SERP) as part of the on-page Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy.
To get the benefits, bloggers should use long-tail keywords as their titles or headings, why? That is because this will answer a person’s query in a more detailed and informative way rather than being short and less explicit.
- The various heading tags as assigned by the webmaster guidelines for web pages should be applied. Appropriate tags help HTML-based browsers to order the information and pick the proper words.
- Numerous tools help to get a proper long-tail keyword for the blog article. A few examples include Google keyword planner by Google ads, the chrome extensions like keywords everywhere, Ubersuggest, etc.
- Websites like answerthepublic.com, Moz keyword explorer, semrush.com, HubSpot.com will be very handy in choosing the proper keyword, looking into the topic’s competition, search volume, etc within the content writing industry.
Learn the step-by-step process of blog creation and how to write compelling content for a blog under expert guidance with the Best Content Writing Course.
More Professional Courses
2. Create A Reader-friendly Blog
This is crucial in getting an extended range of readers for your blog and thereby letting your blog live on the search engine platform. It means one should consider their whole list of feedreaders. They may include a novice person on the topic and a subject matter expert. User-friendly information is the most preferred information for all.
- A recent, best example of this is the website design of the vaccination portals of various countries that make any kind of user dive in, access, schedule, track, and get notified of their downloadable certificate of vaccination.
- Almost any type of person, regardless of age, education level, or background, was able to use the portals. This is possible with a lucid, down-to-earth consideration of the web content developers’ web page design.
- Other good examples are in academic exams, where visually impaired people are supported to write exams with the aid of screen reading software, along with proper adjustment of color contrasts on the web pages to assist in color blindness.
- Incorporating a magnifying software into the text that can zoom the text to their ease of vision, as well as providing larger font sizes, such as subtitles in in-flight entertainment devices, would be beneficial to senior citizens.
- While writing professional blogs that must take into account these types of audiences, one must incorporate the content writing rules established by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) under the name WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.)
- A lot of plugins are available for getting a better view with accessibility, like the WP Accessibility plugin, stark plugin, and gravity forms-WCAG 2.0 form fields.
Do check out the Top 9 Content Writing Institutes in India
3. Include Visual Effects in Your Blog
When it comes to the topic of clarity and detail among regular blog readers, the maximum number of positive flags will come for a blog that is not only text-based but also image and video incorporated.
Adding images will add value to your SEO and help to get more visits to your web page. It will make the blog article look longer and give contentment to readers that they got the right, detailed stuff in their search.
- Pictures that are taken directly from your camera, jpg pictures either painted in MS Paint, MyPaint, GIMP, or downloadable pictures from the internet will work.
- Other than that, YouTube videos and other kinds of videos are also a part of the Graphical User Interface (GUI). This User Experience (UX), given to page visitors as part of establishing relevance to the website, will help the web browser’s crawling algorithm to pick the correct content and rank it in the SERP.
- The Alt text option available for images is a boon for SEO strategy. It helps HTML pages to know the exact details about the image located on a page, and as mentioned in the previous point, it also adds better accessibility for visually impaired people while the screen reading software comes to the location of the image.
Thus, the Alt text option is one of the content writing rules set for physically challenged people by WCAG.
Learn how to combine writing with online marketing techniques with The Best Digital Marketing Course
4. Include Relevant Website Links
Backlinks or inbound links are links that are bridging sources between one website to another website. This linking from another website to your website proves to Google, Yahoo, Bing search engines that your content is worthy, credible, and useful.
- To gain that authority, the content of the blog should be of rich quality and usefulness. New guest bloggers can ask you for the backlinks to your web pages and you can establish healthy contacts with them.
- Similarly, if people have the same areas of interest or relatively important groups of people, like a journal company that is of high authority and a researcher blogging around his work, it will be a great combination for gaining such links and ranks on the web page.
But, if two people from two different fields, like a fashion-related blogger and a researcher link together, the linking won’t be of much use. Why? Because even though the fashion-related blogger has high authority domain scores on the web pages, the mismatch or irrelevance of their fields creates hindrance.
- Outbound links and internal links are also a part of linking done by new bloggers often. This outbound link is linking a website with high domain authority to its website. This will help readers gain potential and trustworthy information. At the same time, the crawler algorithm also trusts bloggers for their well-established links and content.
- Internal links mean links incorporated by the blogger within the same website or the same blog itself. Adding proper links is one of the digital content writing rules.
Here are the Top 10 Digital Marketing Institutes in India
5. Make Your Content Stand Out
Even though blog writing is becoming everyone’s cup of coffee nowadays, it will be of much use for readers if it is more insightful, unique, appropriate, and grammatically perfect.
- To provide insightful content, referring to a bunch of articles and handbooks will help. Some practical kits and guides will also help in providing insightful information. Including stats and charts in the content will aid in relevance building and will undoubtedly aid in determining the precise position of our presence in the field.
- To write unique content, one must depend on their own words and vocabulary instead of copying texts from other’s contents. This way of stealing info from others is termed plagiarism. Plagiarism-free content is one of the important content writing rules. There are a lot of plagiarism detection tools available on the internet corridor like smallseotools.com plagiarism checker, grammarly.com plagiarism checker, etc.
- Blog writers and vlog writers sometimes become invisible in the search engines because too many irrelevant, out-of-the-subject articles are written under one umbrella. Instead, if a blog topic is chosen, say, a blog related to electronic gadgets and their usage, it should be carried over throughout the blog appropriately.
But if the focus of blogging has drifted to gardening or cooking kinds of things under the same blog, then it won’t add weightage to the search pages. Clutter-free info is the most sought-after way by blog readers.
- To make grammatically correct sentences, hard copies like the Oxford dictionary, Merriam-Webstar by Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc, and website and app versions like grammarly.com, collins.com, and thesaurus.com can be referenced while writing content.
6. Counting The Count
Keeping an eye on the count is one of the content writing rules. After the careful selection of keywords, aspiring bloggers and freelancers must keep a track of the word and character counts set by the webmaster guidelines. Even though they add more meanings, usefulness, and search rankings, a blog or article cannot be stuffed with them.
Keyword density is a notable factor while writing a blog article. Keyword density checker tools are available on the internet. It is vital to check the article for its density and make corrections if needed before the article is published.
Similarly, if a particular company or website asks the blog writer for a specific number of words for the articles that are to be published on their web portals, like 2500 words or 1000 words, it should be delivered as requested.
7. Staying Current by Participating in The Blogosphere
There will be a lot of knowledge sharing with updated features, software, news, campaigns, and technological advancements happening within the blogosphere community. Enrolling oneself in the community is a value-added point in a blogger’s career.
After the evolution of these community-based content-making portals like online newspaper and magazine communities, Quora, stack exchange, like modern website communities on multiple spaces, Facebook, Instagram, like social media communities, Goodreads, and Scribd, like book review communities, will help to generate and exchange innovative and powerful ideas for blogging topics and content.
The popular open-source content management systems like WordPress, blogspot.com, Wix, Weebly, etc. also have communities to learn and grow. Even codes like HTML are shared online.
For beginning blogging as part of revenue generation, unlike the few people doing it as a passion, the blogger can do affiliate blogging. There are a lot of affiliate blog programs like the Amazon affiliate program, the Microsoft affiliate program, the Barnes & Noble affiliate program, etc., where one can enroll, write and review their products and get paid.
It will be helpful to know the important points to note on ad-based webmaster guidelines, the basic do’s and do not’s for bloggers, and also an inclusive point on the content writing rules.
8. Getting to Know The Ins And Outs of Blogger Platforms
Blog content must be full of niche and appealing information to get more readers. Text-based contents, images, add-ons, audios, and plugins like the WooCommerce plugin for e-commerce related activities in WordPress, iThemes security plugin to include re-captcha authentication, malware scanning the WordPress website, Yoast SEO for getting ideas on titles and meta descriptions to optimize the written content and get a higher rank on search engines are all part of blogging. This will add good values and rate user experience to a peak value. Getting expertise in these things will be a must for a new-age content writer.
9. Double-checking The Content for The Absence of Broken Links
Broken links are also termed by the word ‘link rot’, which is a phenomenon of hyperlinks done within the content that cannot go to the particular site or address mentioned either due to relocation of that particular website or permanent unavailability of the website. Only the user will be able to see error messages instead of the info linked to the content.
Users Will Find Some Error Messages Like the Ones Mentioned Below:
- 404-Page not found-The requested URL/bad page was not found on this server.
- 400-Bad request error-The host server is not able to understand the URL of your page.
- Timeout: Your browser didn’t send a complete request in time, i.e., frequent timed-out messages.
- Malformed URL
Broken links will push the user to think no update happened recently on the content and may influence the ranking of the particular website to go low. Removing all dead or broken links is one of the digital content writing rules.
It will also affect the bounce rate of the page and make it go high. This is the rate that shows the percentage of visitors who enter the website and then leave soon without checking and staying on other pages of the same site.
For WordPress, there is a free plugin called Broken Link Checker. This will even scan for broken links in the comments section too and report them for correction.
10. Only Legal Curated Content Is Presented
Curated content is a keyword in the modern era of content writing and content marketing. For both of the domains, grabbing readers and influencing them with rich content is the prime focus.
Curating the Content Can Be Done in the Following Ways:
- Adding relevancy to shared information along with engagement. It especially suits well when creating a community space.
- Using specialized tools for curation like Curata, Scoop It, Storify, etc. that support gathering info from blogs, news feeds, etc.
- Shareable blogs, images, or videos that are added with descriptions, modified with the writers’ expertise, and including captioned images are part of the curation.
Curating Rules That Must Be Followed Carefully Are Listed Below:
Copyright Acts mentioned in particular content, video, or images must be followed carefully. It is one of the valuable content writing rules that shouldn’t be taken carelessly. If not, the writer or blogger will be prosecuted for copyright infringement by the criminal justice system.
A few times, if copyright acts are not mentioned, a minimum of ‘credits’ sort of mention must be made, like ‘photo courtesy’, ‘image credits’, etc.
If any changes happen to the rules of sharing other’s content, or if the original content creator asks the curator to remove the shared content made available to the public, immediately the rules have to be adhered to.
11. Font Size, Style, And Theme Selection
Appearance aspects like font sizes, styles, and themes are also kept in keen focus while writing blog articles, as these are some well-known factors that justify whether the content is written professionally, ethically, or casually. This factor is one of the content writing rules to be taken into consideration.
Selecting Proper Font Styles And Sizes:
Selecting an appropriate font size for contents will give legibility and clarity. Bigger fonts can be used for readers’ groups if they are a little older. Professional fonts like Times New Roman, Calibri, or Arial can be picked up as a default font style. Some rules can be bigger and set to bold fonts, etc. There are some rules, to mention a few.
Selecting A Good Theme for The Blogger Website:
This means that for a kids’ educational-based blog, the theme will look different when compared to a blog with fashion-based info.
Frequently Asked Questions- FAQs
Q1. What are a few content writing tips for beginners?
Beginners should concentrate on long-tail keywords, good language delivery, word and character counts, inbound and outbound links, and clutter-free content. These are a few content writing rules and tips to be followed.
Q2. What are a few popular website building and blog writing platforms?
WordPress, Wix, Weebly, Blogger, HubSpot, Domain.com, etc. are very famous website building and blog writing platforms.
Q3. What is the blogosphere?
The blogosphere is a community of blog writers and readers. People can exchange a lot of info through different community spaces with the help of their feeds and images.
Q4. How is the keyword stuffing in contents figured out?
There are a few keyword stuffing analyzer tools like Keyword Density Checker, Small SEO Tools, SEO Book Keyword Analyzer tool, etc.
Q5. Mention a few content curator tools available on the market.
Tools like Curata, Scoop.it, paperly, storify, and newsletters like Aweber, Pocket, etc are a few content curator tools available on the market. These tools also help bloggers with their social media management.
Q6. What are some popular keyword suggestion tools available in the market?
Google Keyword Planner by Google Ads, Keywords Everywhere, UberSuggest, answerthepublic.com, Moz Keyword Explorer are a few examples of keyword suggestion tools popularly available in the market.
Thus, these are some of the practical content writing rules that can prove to be helpful for you if you want to create good SEO-friendly content.