How to Use Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing
Most of you must have experienced that when you look at a company’s product on the internet or go through an e-commerce site looking for some products, the matter does not end there. You may forget about it, but you receive an email later, reminding you of the product you looked at with some tempting offers. This is what the remarketing emails in digital marketing are. These emails are sent to the prospecting customers to influence their decision in a very personalized manner. Remarketing email strategy in digital marketing is a type of email campaign you use to re-attract visitors to your website who do not complete the desired purchase action or even had purchased.
Digital marketing is a method of marketing your products, services, and brands through online feeds like websites, search engines, mobile apps, or email. The ultimate goal of your marketing campaign is to boost sales so that people visiting your sites will buy your products or services.
In reality, many survey reports show that in only 2% of cases, people ultimately reach the final purchasing stage, and your whole effort and money involved get wasted. Instead of accepting the failure, you wish to salvage the situation, attempt to re-attract people who have shown interest in your products, and run retargeting campaigns online.
Emailing to those targeted groups of people is the most effective and profitable solution for retargeting, making remarketing emails in digital marketing a very fruitful retargeting method.
What is Remarketing Email?
In simple words, remarketing email strategy is the plan of delivering emails to people who previously engaged with your product or site. But, the strategy is not that simple. In practice, you not only remind the users of the product but also attempt to influence them and get the lead converted to your goal.
To do that, you have to chalk out a complex strategy based on the behavior of the user that you learn from his activities that you monitor, and then create a personalized and targeted email campaign to influence the user’s decision. And first of all, you have to prepare a list of the emails of such prospective candidates.
Action Required for Effective Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing.
For effective and successful remarketing emails, you must follow the following steps. You never wish to use poorly made planning that may make your prospective customer turn your emails into spam.
1. Collect Customer Data
Customer data collection is the first element of your remarketing email strategy. You have to use all possible sources to collect these data about users browsing your digital marketing website as enumerated below:
- Visitors’ demographic information like their age and gender, as well as their interests available through their online travel and purchasing activities, using tools like Google Analytics.
- You must collect users’ information like email id, address, hobbies, etc., by asking them to sign up for rewards programs, brochures, etc.
- Ask shoppers from your site to leave reviews with their email addresses after purchase.
- You must request users to share their shopping experience with information like other preferences, points of satisfaction or dissatisfaction, etc.
Each of this information helps you to gain an idea about your visitors. To outline the goals to be achieved through remarketing, each piece of information act as a guide for you.
How is the Data of the User Collected?
- Through Cookies:
- Through Pixel Tracking:
Pixel files are bits of code. They are introduced to the user’s web browser through websites or emails using special software like Mailchimp, Zoho Mail, etc. The advantage of using pixels is that they are unblockable.
- Through The Email Service Provider:
The advanced email service provider offers additional features, including A/B testing of email, Website tracking, and Segmentation of data based on information about the subscribers.
Free Digital Marketing E-Book
Learn Basics of Digital Marketing For Free
2. Segment Your Data as Per Target Groups
The data collected about your customers or prospective customers should be segmented or divided based on detail, such as age, gender, preferred social media sites, browsing habits, purchasing habits, and other habits – like interest in rewards. It is better to use CRM software like Zoho CRM, Salesforce, etc., for data collection, segmentation, and centralized data storing.
It helps in avoiding targeting the same people and the manual labor required. Segmentation helps in writing personalized emails as you are aware of your goal. For example here are some examples for different segments that help you to have an idea of the preferences of a visitor to your website.
- Abandoned Cart status: You stress converting it to purchase, by offering benefits like discounts or free delivery.
- Product: Depending on the type of product, say electronic goods or kitchen accessories you draft your text.
- Purchase history: Purchase history helps a lot in drafting content as you know much about your prospects like the range of price, repetition of order, and the number of purchases per month.
- Demographic: Particularly age, gender, etc helps you to understand visitors’ preferences.
- Geography: Certainly you shall not try to persuade a visitor from a warm location like Deccan to purchase a woolen jacket in summer.
3. Finalize Your Remarketing Goals
After the gathering and segmentation of the data, you have to decide what you want to gain by remarketing email. How to utilize the data for maximum benefits, and how much the chances of achieving them. After thoroughly finalizing the objectives in your mind, go for typing the templates for the email. If you know, what you ultimately want to accomplish, it becomes easier for you to craft the email.
Some of the Objectives for Your Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing May Be:
- Decreasing the rate of abandonment of shopping carts by shoppers before completing the purchase.
- Encouraging visitors to pass some time on your website and respond to the call to action before leaving it.
- Attracting customers who have not visited your site for a long time for a return visit.
- Motivate shoppers who have purchased from your site to repurchase.
Here is a guide to an Effective Email Marketing Strategy for your Business
4. Create Absorbing Emails
Your email should be unique in the sense that it should have an appealing subject line, eye-catching and mobile-friendly layout, inducing text, and strong CTA. Thus writing a great email is difficult unless you follow some basics.
Writing Subject Lines
The subject line in an email is the first thing a receiver sees. You must put a capturing subject line so that a shopper gets interested in it, and doesn’t delete it. Some simple suggestions are:
- If possible, use the customer’s name to make it personal
- Make the subject line inquisitive
- Make it alluring with some offer
Writing the Content
Whatever be your aim – promotional or cart abandonment recovery, you should offer some specific incentive to the shopper – it gives an element of surprise and pleasure.
- if possible, introduce a new idea
- put some social proof about your products value/ utility
The Layout of Your Email
- The design must be mobile-friendly – today maximum of people open mail on mobile.
- Use limited fonts, graphics, or colors – don’t distract people.
- Keep the CTA button or hyperlinked text prominent – you want shoppers to use them.
- Use proportionate text and images/ graphics.
- Use everyday life shots with the product in use.
- See that the mail does not take too long to open and optimize the image accordingly.
5. Timing is the Essence
- You should start sending remarketing emails soon after a particular event has taken place, for example, some visitors have left your website without any activity or abandoned the cart with some product. The Sooner your email lands in a visitor’s inbox more chance is there that he will return to your website and check the products he had earlier passed away.
- For abandoned cart remarketing emails send them within an hour. In such cases, the chances of getting it converted to a purchased cart are maximum, as found in research surveys. Generally, after about three days, the lead gets cooled.
- You should send remarketing emails for re-engagement and promotions like sales, discounts, etc., after 2 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. Generally, people remain busy on Monday and weekends.
- You should call off your email marketing campaign once a visitor clicks the CTA button or undergo any other action as per your desire.
6. Check the Results Obtained
Undergo A/B tests. Check which emails successfully encourage your audience to do what you desired and which ones got the minimum response. Check for anything put that led to immediate rejection by your target. You should note those emails that bring success and proven return on investment (ROI) and plan to polish them in the future. You must use all the information to lay out your remarketing emails in digital marketing.
Recommended Read: Digital Marketing Courses in India
Occasions Suitable for Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing
Remarketing emails offer numerous benefits to your business. Events where remarketing emails in digital marketing make the marketing strategy a success is as described below:
1. Remarketing Email That Re-engages Prospects
In the present fast life, people are always busy. They mostly prefer online shopping because they can do it whenever they get the time and have the inclination for it, and select varieties of products from many companies conveniently in a short time. Often, people get engaged in some other job while shopping online and later forget about it.
Suppose a prospective customer was selecting your product online, the doorbell rings. He gets busy with the guests and completely pretermits about your product. What will you do to re-engage him? You send a remarketing email to remind him what he was viewing; draw him back to check on the product again.
If approached well and if the product suits his fancy, you add a client. When a prospect has an eye on your product but has not purchased then you can give him a nudge by tempting him through:
- Discount on the product
- Free delivery
- Coupons for the next purchase
- Cashback offers, and so on
2. Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing Reduce Shopping Cart Abandonment
Different surveys have shown that about 90% of people abandon the shopping cart online after putting a product in it. There are various reasons for the abandonment of carts, such as:
- Some distractions while making payment
- Finding delivery charges high
- Failure of online payment
- Sudden doubt on the quality of the product, etc.
Remarketing email has a huge potential to change this ‘lost sale’ into a purchase. In 10% of cases, remarketing email can convert cart abandonment into a purchased cart. Further, follow-up with remarketing emails converts another 70% of cases of the remaining 90% of cart abandonment into purchases.
Many say that email remarketing is the best technique to convert abandoned carts into purchased carts. Some people say remarketing emails regarding cart abandonment annoy receivers though the research results show that 69% of people have viewed them as helpful.
Also Read: Email Marketing Tools
3. Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing Drive More Sales
When you send messages/ads to the email inboxes of the prospects who are already somewhat interested in your products, the chances of ultimate purchases are high. As per a report by SEO –specialist Moz, remarketing email conversion rate is up to 40% compared to the e-commerce conversion rate of 2-4 %. When your remarketing emails reach the interested person with a correct psychological message, he responds positively.
4. Remarketing Emails for Product Recommendations
Remarketing emails in digital marketing are also sent to loyal customers recommending certain items. You should always recommend an item that satisfies the customer and have good quality. Your correct recommendation will not only motivate the loyal customer to purchase but enhance his expectations and faith in your products.
5. Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing Announcing Items Back in Stock
When you have an item out of stock, you can add to your website a submission box where interested customers can submit their email id to get notified when that item is back in stock. Remarketing email informing that the item is now available gets nearly 90% conversion as the customer is already highly interested. You can also send remarketing emails to prospects who had not submitted their email but had viewed the item.
6. Remarketing Emails Announcing the Last Opportunity
A remarketing email from you announcing the last chance to get a product due to discontinuance of its sale or last opportunity to avail it at a discounted price, etc., usually brings back many prospective customers. It produces a psychological effect called the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) effect; urgency is a psychological trigger that prompts us to act quickly.
Here is a Guide to Facebook Remarketing
Benefits of Remarketing Emails in Digital Marketing
Bring back lost visitors to your website. When potential customers are persuaded back, at least some of them becomes your consumer, increasing your sales. It targets people who have already shown some interest in your products – the possibility of their conversion into purchasers is more likely.
Even if many don’t ultimately purchase even after remarketing emails, but viewing your products multiple times, particularly eye-catching visuals and many polite reminders, your brand name gets engraved in their mind, increasing awareness of your brand.
It is more convenient and economical – with no printing cost, delivery charges, and no delays – it is economical. It is convenient – you can just design and edit an email and send it to countless prospects in no time. It is dynamic – enables you to send personalized information to different users based on products or services they viewed on your website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Whom do you send remarketing emails?
Remarketing emails are for users who have visited your digital marketing pages, shown some interest in your products, or have done business with you earlier.
Q. How do remarketing emails work?
Remarketing email strategy influences the visitors to your site or past customers by creating highly targeted email campaigns specifically intended to satisfy their specific needs, using their most relevant information with you.
Q. What is the prime difference between remarketing email and retargeting?
A remarketing email involves the re-engagement of customers who have shown interest in your products/ marketing web page and about whom you have some information. Retargeting uses paid ads that reach customers who have visited your marketing web page. In the former case, your specific information is targeted at a particular segment of consumers, whereas in the latter, the campaign is of a general type.
Q. How remarketing email differs from a standard marketing email?
Regular marketing email is for the general viewer. They are less personal as the writer has not had much information specific to a receiver’s interest. The aim is also promotional. In the case of remarketing email, the contents are more personal as the writer has prior knowledge of specific information about the receiver’s interests. The emails have particular goals, such as re-engagement, conversion of abandoned carts, etc.
As discussed above, a remarketing email has specific personalized content based on your customer’s locality, gender, online behavior on the marketing website, etc., or to complete a purchase. Before sending a remarketing email, you must collect information about your customer, his habits, likes, and dislikes, and test your copy, your visuals, and the text of the email to optimize it for your customer. An ideal remarketing email strategy increases your sale but also enhances the reputation of your business and products. It also creates a good relationship or bond between you and your consumer and develops consumer loyalty, be it a B2-B or a B2C business.