A Virtual Guide to Game Development and Design Courses In India
Games Particularly Video Games need no introduction in today’s world. With the growing internet playing games on the internet has gained prominence. This trend of playing games gave rise to many new career roles in the game development industry. According to stats, the Online gaming industry is expected to touch $ 50 billion in India by 2022.
This article focuses on the game development and design courses in India, with a brief history, future scope of the gaming industry in India, job roles available in game development courses along with eligibility pertaining to these job roles, and the list of best colleges.
History of Gaming Industry:
In the early 1950s video games were started as entertainment in leisure. Computer engineers designed basic games to kill time. In 1966 an engineer working at Sanders Associates in the US named Ralph Baer decided to make games the mainstream. This decision gave a boost for inventing “Brown Box” which is the 1st gaming console. This was officially launched in 1971 as “Magnavox Odyssey”.
The 2nd generation of video games popped up between 1972-1981, but the gaming industry gained prominence in 1982 when “Nintendo” a Japanese company entered the game development market. This company changed the view of the gaming industry by introducing “Mario Bros”. Mario gave video games a new life, even today Mario is the best-selling video game with 670 million sales.
Learn content marketing using social media with the Best Content Writing Course
What is game development?
Game development involves designing the game and running the game. This involves the idea of the game, coding, testing, and sound effects, and programming. Developers mainly focus on bringing the game into live existence. They mainly turn the vision of the game into reality. Whereas the designing team focuses on creating the theme of the game.
Designers and Developers play an important role in releasing the game into the market. So both designers and developers are very important for any gaming industry. Every game that comes into the market follows some stages in its development.
Learn about the integrated digital marketing strategy with the Top Digital Marketing Course
Stages of Game Development:
Planning is the first step to be followed while developing any game. In this development stage, we need to answer a few questions like
- Type of the game.
- The dimension of the game is like 2D or 3D.
- Features and Characters of the game.
- The target audience of the game.
- Type of platform for publishing the game.
You may wish to read our article Top 10 Digital Marketing Courses in Egypt
Answering these questions raises a new set of questions:
- Budget required for the development.
- Technological requirements.
- Using existing or considering new game engines.
- Defining timeframe for launching.
- Size of the team required.
This pre-production stage in game development plays a vital role. This stage is the combination of every member in the team like
- Writers write the initial storylines and characters.
- Artists decide on art styles and colors to be used.
- Develops works on the game mechanism and rendering of objects on the player’s screen
- Project managers work on the fun and entertainment part of the game
with all the departments working together pre-production stage forms the rough idea of how the game is going to be, that is documentation of the game and planning for Q & A of the game.
Walk-through our article about the Top 10 Digital Marketing Courses in Bangladesh
This is the phase where the game is prepared according to the blueprint. In this stage, maximum effort and time are invested to create the game.
- Characters are designed exactly to fit in the story.
- Audio and sound effects are generated as per the character.
- Suitable environments are created by designers to match the play styles.
- Codes are written to give life to the game.
This is the stage where your game is given life and all the departments work on their predefined tasks to reach their goals. This is also the stage that consumes your time and effort. In this production stage of game development if there are any changes in the game are also reflected and taken care of.
Testing in game development is one area that is complementary to the production stage of the game. The testing phase of the game is tested to see its quality. While going through this stage we come across some questions like:
- Bugs in the game.
- Ensure the readability of the text.
- Checking for the exploiting features of the game if any.
- Ensuring Dialog clarity of the character.
- Finding the defects in the game.
- Checking for the sustainability of the app.
This is the stage where the game is ready for its entry into the market focus on
- The type of media coverage.
- Marketing the game.
- The decision on the release date.
Inviting top gaming companies will be an added advantage this can also help in gaining higher attention from the audience. Reviews on the preface of the game will help in making changes if any.
Finally, the game is launched into the market. Before launching it will undergo many major and minor issues to be squeaky-clean. Once everything is perfectly ready it is launched with all the features listed.
This post Launch stage is one of the most exciting stages in game development. Everything is not completed with the launch of the game. In today’s competitive world to be on top-notch upgrading is important
- Multiplayer modes.
- Introducing new levels.
- Updating Software in regular intervals
Check out our GST Course here
Future scope of the gaming industry in India:
Games are considered as the entertainment factor in anyone’s life. With the increasing usage of the internet, many new fields came into existence. The gaming industry is one of them, even though India awoke lately in this field but it is growing at a fast pace. Asia- Pacific region contributes 52% to the global gaming industry.
India is ranked 15th with a contribution of $35.8 billion from the gaming industry. India is slowly growing in this industry at present we have 280 million gamers with more than 85% of them in the age group of 18-30. Many youngsters are now changing their hobby into a profession. Many big brands also came into action with this emerging field.
Let’s see two major emerging trends in the gaming industry these days.
Esports also known as electronic sports are on the rise in India. This is a form of competition in video games. This esports is a boon to many gamers by providing ample opportunities and developing their skills. Small companies in this gaming industry get a chance to tie up with the big bees by showing their talent.
Esports in India has grown drastically over the years from colleges and cafes to multi-events. Esports also play a major role in the growth of many domains attached to the gaming industry like shout casters, co-players, analysts, sound engineers, scriptwriters, and so on.
Video game Live Streaming is another popular form of play in this online video broadcasting players play on online platforms to entertain their live audience. This live streaming has gained popularity in the mid-’20s. To promote products companies also sponsor live streamers. Streaming has been an earning for many juveniles these days because just by entertaining others you earn.
With affordable and high-speed internet connections, mobile games also have a growing market in India. As people are spending most of their time on mobiles, developers are now shifting their focus by releasing mobile-friendly versions. With the growing ecosystem and evolving technologies, India can see a bright future in the gaming industry.
Transforming fun into career opportunities is on the rise nowadays; India provides plenty of opportunities in the gaming sector and has a good outsourcing hub than any other sector.
As this gaming industry offers many roles you can opt for any of these as your career like wireless gaming, video gaming, multiplayer gaming, console gaming, pc gaming, mobile gaming, and so on. With the growing demand for professionals, this industry offers many exciting roles.
Let us look at some of the job profiles available in the gaming industry and the game development and design courses for the same:
Types of Job Profiles:
To bring out high-quality games people with different skills and roles are need to work together, so there is a wide range of opportunities. Job roles depend on the type of games but some common roles are available in the game development industry.
Game designers play a vital role in game development. They are the architectures of the game; they prepare the blueprint of the games by inserting the ideas for the game. Designers work on market research to ensure that concept of the game is enjoyed by the people playing them. They decide the core concept of the game like
- The theme of the game.
- Modes of the game like a single-player or multiplayer game.
- The game should be an open-world or liner game.
- Whether it should relay on any story.
- If it is a story based it should be in the ancient world or modern world.
- Excellent visual skills
- Good knowledge of various technologies related to game development
- Good communication skills
- Team coordination and guidance.
- Having a Bachelors degree in game designing will helpful
- Tech in computer engineering is an added advantage
Script or dialogue writers are like “Helmsman” of the ship, they work together with designers to give the story some context. Stories for different characters, dialogues, personalities, and reactions of characters in the game are penned by these writers. These people add a cherry to the game; writers are responsible for enhancing the player experience by their creativity in describing the expressions of the characters.
- Good writing skills
- certifications in creative writing or script writing
- Having a Bachelor’s degree in English literature or mass communication is an added advantage.
Concept artists are the people who sketch the characters and environments in the game. These people are responsible for drawing the looks of the game and the style of the characters. They take the ideas of the designers and sketch the game; their sketches help 3D designers and programmers in understanding the look of the game for game development.
- Excellent drawing skills
- Practical imagination is required
- Minimum 12th is required for recruitment
- Having a degree in fine art, drawing or painting is fruitful.
A 3D artist is a person responsible for creating three-dimensional models for characters, environments like grass, tree, houses, etc. 3D artists are also CGI (“computed-generated imagery”) artists. 3D artists are the one who creates moving, still, and visual effects for images.
- Excellent photorealism, lighting, and composition skills.
- Should be good at model optimization for real-time
- Scene and 3D modeling
- Adept in 3D software technologies like Maya, Blender, 3DS Max, and so on.
- Minimum requirement of 12th
- Bachelor’s in computer graphics/art/animation/illustration.
2D /Texture Artist:
Texture artists or 2D designers create textures to make them look realistic. These people paint and polish the surfaces of the model and give them the shape as required. They create visually stunning textures for all the characters and objects in the game development.
- Good understanding of color, texture, and form
- Better technical knowledge in cameras and cinematography
- Adept in VFX programming and software like Z-brush, substance painter.
- Knowledge in using graphic software like dream weaver, illustrator, Photoshop.
- Minimum requirement of 10th.
- Bachelor’s degree in animation, digital media, or graphic design.
Animators are the people responsible for creating prototypes of the characters by inserting animations of their walking, talking, and other reactions. They are also called visual artists. Animators create a series of photos called frames this gives an illusion of reactions of characters called animation. This is a company-specific role, in some companies, 3D artists and visual artists work as animators.
- Strong knowledge of animation software
- Imagination and creative skills.
- Minimum requirement of 12th
- Bachelor’s in computer graphics/art/animation/illustration.
Environment /level designer:
Level designers design the levels in the game. They decide on the looks and environment of the particular level. Various assets are used for designing levels. Level designers are responsible for mapping the game layout to function as the prescribed rules. They also look after the sequence in-game levels.
- Strong knowledge of in-game engine software like UNITY, CRY ENGINE, GAME BRYO, etc.
- Knowledge in converting concepts of 2D into 3D images
- Good understanding of architecture
- Ability to create engaging levels.
- Minimum 12th
- Certifications in game designing.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or any computer-related field.
As Game designers create the heart of the game, Game Developers create the mind of the game. Game Developers develop the physic system of the game and also create the fighting mechanism of the characters (how one character fights with other characters). This person is responsible for developing artificial intelligence (AI) for the game. AI decides the interaction of the characters with each other.
- Strong knowledge of program languages
- Excellent technical coding skills
- Good Problem-solving skills
- Profound knowledge of technical advancements.
- Tech or B.E in computer science or BCA is another option
- bachelor degree in game development/game programming
Sound or Audio engineers creates music that sinks with the game and gives actual depth to the game. They give game life by creating background music and feel to the audience by environment music like gunshots, birds chirping, water flowing, etc… Soundtracks play an important role by giving realism to the game.
- In-depth knowledge of music
- Ability to monitor soundtracks and volume levels.
- Good technical knowledge to deal with equipment
- Should possess excellent speaking and listening skills
- A Bachelors degree in Audiography /sound engineering
A game tester is a person who plays games, again and again, to find errors and bugs in the game. They play the levels in the game for many hours and ensure the quality of the game is up to the mark before it is released.
- Good understanding of programming
- Software testing skills
- Problem-solving skills to fix bugs
- Excellent communication skills
- recommended to have a bachelors degree in computer science
- (Or) having a “certified tester” certification will be fruitful.
Opting For Professional Game Development and Design Courses:
Gone are the days where opting for computer science or any related field is enough for entering the gaming industry. With the rising demand in the gaming industry, the need for qualified professionals also increased.
Companies started recruiting qualified candidates with degrees and equivalent certifications in game development and designing courses. So many colleges and universities came up with courses and certifications. Game development and designing courses in India play an excellent role in shaping the future of this industry by bringing out new talent.
Students who wish their career in the gaming industry should take any of these game development and design courses which are not only helpful in learning skills but also in developing creative and innovative approaches in game development and design.
Many colleges In India provide game development and design courses in both online and offline modes. Selecting the best game development courses according to their skill will help the individual in shaping their career in this gaming industry.
Game Develop. and Design Courses in India
To become eligible for taking game development courses in India you should consider two factors
- Course type.
Certification in Game Development and Design Courses:
- Certification in gaming.
- Certification in Game Designing and Integration.
- 10th pass from a recognized board.
Diploma in Game Development and Design Courses:
- Diploma in Game Programming.
- Diploma in Game Art.
- Diploma in Game Design.
- Diploma in 3D And Game Art.
- Diploma in Game Application Development and Design.
- 12th pass from a recognized board.
Bachelor in Game Development and Design Courses:
- Bachelors in Media Animation & Design (BMAD).
- B.SC in Gaming.
- B.SC in Animation and Gaming.
- B.SC in Animation Game Design and Development.
- M.A in Animation and Computer Graphics.
- M.Tech – computer science and game development.
- M.A in Digital Film Making and Animation.
- 12th pass from a recognized board.
Master in Game Development and Design Courses:
- B.SC in Game Art & Design.
- B.SC in Gaming.
- Master in Science (M.SC) in Multimedia Game Design and Development.
- Master in Science (M.SC) in multimedia and animation.
- M.A in Game Design.
- M.A in Multimedia and Animation.
- Graduation degree from a recognized university
Top 10 Colleges For Game Development And Design Courses in India:
- MAAC-Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic – MUMBAI
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University – Pune
- Arena Animations – New Delhi
- iPixio Animation – Bangalore
- Acad. of Animation and Gaming – Noida
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts – Bangalore
- College of excellence in animation – Animaster Academy – Bangalore
- Asian Institute of Gaming and Animation – Bangalore
- Global School Of Animation and Games – Delhi
- ICAT Design & Media College.
Benefits of Game Development and Design Courses:
- Having any type of game development & designing course will create a wide range of opportunities in the market, recruiters mainly prefer candidates with the latest technical knowledge
- If you are a working professional and looking for a career change or career growth in the gaming industry taking game development and design courses certifications through e-learning sites like Udemy, Coursera will be helpful.
- Game development and design courses are also helpful in encountering various processes and tools used by professionals.
Hence game development and design courses have tremendous potential in landing you to the right career opportunity through their multifaceted roles and unlimited growth.