12 Best FMVA Courses With Practical Training
Every year plethora of economics, finance, and commerce students graduate with the dream to get well-paying jobs or become successful entrepreneurs. If you are one among the flock, the following details on Financial Modeling and Valuation Analyst (FMVA courses) are going to help you to get the edge in the world of business.
What is Financial Modeling and Valuation Analysis (FMVA)?
Finance modeling and valuation analysis, in simple words, is making income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements, deciding upon schedules for capital assets, estimating business valuation, implementing calculations appropriately, and auditing the model.
It also includes calculating earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA). This extensive view of the expenditures and revenues of a company helps entrepreneurs to make better business decisions for the future.
The comprehensive charts and graphs provide knowledge about the expenditure of resources on each division and assist in accessing the profits gained and stock performance. The sum and substance are that FMVA is fundamental in business. Every firm needs an expert to examine the past performance of the company, revenue, cash flow, and profit and make wise decisions.
Skills Required to Become a Financial Modeling Expert
Not all firms face the same kind of impediments. A financial analyst should be capable to build a new model or find an old model that is completely relevant at that time. When the assumptions go wrong, the company might face irreversible loss. The financial analyst observes all these reports, studies the impacts, and makes meticulous changes regarding financial management.
The job of a valuation analyst is to provide valuation services for companies by focusing on purchase price allocation (PPA). Their key responsibility is to review debts, and equity securities, and provide exit strategies and due diligence. A valuation analyst is expected to update the valuation model to achieve accuracy and efficiency and spot areas where the company can potentially grow. It is necessary to make sure that the valuation provided is neither too low nor too high.
Why is it Important?
In the internet era, the proliferation of business has caused fierce competition among corporates. This sets off more job opportunities for finance students. Even in the case of planning for start-ups, the rule of thumb is to model finance and revenue and forecast cash flow. The FMVA courses make you understand the inner workings of a company.
The FMVA courses focus on understanding the foundation of a firm, its revenue, profit, customer acquisitions, producing financial balance sheets, and so on. Unfortunately, universities and colleges don’t completely equip students for the jobs. The candidates ought to do extra reading and attend skill development programs.
Almost all finance jobs expect the candidates to have good knowledge of modeling financial statements and analyzing the business valuation. Mastering investment analysis needs proper guidance and serious practice in a practical business environment. This is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea nevertheless the opportunities after FMVA courses are enormous. That becomes the reason for FMVA courses becoming popular in recent times.
Anyone can enroll in FMVA courses. It never goes in vain as financial decision-making is inevitable in all kinds of business. However, students and graduates of MBA (Masters of Business Administration), (FRM) Financial Risk Manager, CA (Chartered Accountant), CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst), and other commerce degrees pursuing pupils can be greatly benefited from this course.
After the successful completion of good FMVA courses, the candidates can choose among the following job suggestions.
- Financial analysts
- Business advisors
- Corporate financial trainers
- Financial model makers
- Equity researcher
- Industry analyst
- Business forecasters
In India, the average salary of a Financial Modeling Analyst is INR 3,68,289.
Types of Finance Models
The modeling of finance sheets includes different methods. One of them is Three Statement Model, which is the basis for many other models like
- Discounted Cash Flow Model (DCF)
- Initial Public Offering Model (IPO)
- Merger Model (M&A)
- Leveraged Buyout Model (LBO)
- Budget Model
- Forecasting Model
- Consolidation Model
- Option Pricing Model
A Finance Analyst can take different forms and details according to the need. These models help in building efficient and comprehensive financial analysis templates.
Scope of Financial Modeling
FMVA courses have a great degree of scope. In banks, it proves to be incredibly useful for investment banking, commercial banking, sales and trading, and equity research. Investment brokers make use of this skill in fundraising exchanges. This assists them to decide whether to work on expanding loans or make alterations in the credit assessment of the organization.
In public accounting, financial modeling can help in due diligence, transaction advisory, estimating stocks, and deciding on purchase/sell/hold procedures. Industry relations and corporate development require the application of financial modeling to determine the value of their funds and undertakings. In all businesses, from start-ups to big corporate companies, it functions as a tool to predict and avoid financial risk factors.
Also Read: A Career in Financial Modeling
How do I get started?
Several online and offline education platforms offer FMVA courses. This emerging branch of finance has great scope since corporates and investors want candidates who can deal with business data, financial modeling, and business valuation with efficiency. The certificate of financial modeling and valuation analyst from a recognized online or offline organization is a feather in your cap.
This also shows your passion to update your learning and exploring new ventures. Like any other job, the finance field expects candidates with proper training and expertise. It is imperative to look for FMVA courses with a good syllabus, self-paced learning, anytime accessible material, and internship and placement opportunities.
12 Best FMVA Courses With Practical Training
1. IIM Skills
IIM Skills is an institute that provides a plethora of professional courses in different domains including digital marketing, content writing, technical writing, SEO, GST, and of course, one of the most demanding FMVA courses. The program is extremely beneficial for those who are eager to learn financial modeling at the expert level. The course curriculum is designed in such a way that it meets the need of every coming student from any background.
- Course Name: Finacial Modeling Master Course
- Online Interactive sessions
- Practical Assignments
- Lifetime access to LMS
- Personalized mentorship
- Round-the-clock support
- Internship opportunities
- 100% placement assistance
- Master Certification
Financial Modeling Course Description
- Basic Excel: First, the training starts with the basics of Excel, which is a vital skill that a fiance expert must know.
- Advanced Excel: Once, you will be comfortable with the basics of Excel, the trainers will take you through the majors of Advanced Excel.
- Accounting Concepts: In this module, you will get an in-depth of accounting including Accrual vs Cash reporting, Double Entry Bookkeeping, Law of Going Concern, Law of Prudence, Matching Principle, and many more.
- Financial Statement: This module includes preparing financial reports, analyzing, forecasting, etc.
- Ratio/ KPI Analysis: Here you will gain an in-depth of different types of ratios in financial modeling.
- Basics of Financial Modeling: In this module, you will be learning the real structure of financial models including different assets.
- Types oF Modeling: Here you will cover major types of financial models such as the three-statement projection model, LBO model, cash flow model, etc.
- Business Valuation: Relative valuation, DCF valuation, NAV approach for valuation, etc.
Course Content Covered Under IIM SKILLS FINANCIAL MODELLING COURSE
|Module 1 – Basic and Advanced Excel (8-10 hours)|
Module 2 – Accounting Concepts and Financial Statements (5-7 hours)
|Module 3 – Ratio/KPI Analysis (4-6 hours)|
Module 4 – Basics of Financial Modeling (4 hours)
|Module 5 – Different Types of Financial Models (12-15 hours)||• LBO Model|
• M&A Model
• Private Equity Return Model
• 13 Week Cash Flow Model
|Module 6 – Business Valuation (7-9 hours)||• Relative Valuation – Trading and Transaction Comps|
• DCF Valuation
• NAV Approach for Valuation
Course Durati0n: 3 Months
Course Fees: Rs. 39,900
2. Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
Corporate Finance Institute is one of the largest and most highly recognized online platforms that train finance and investment professionals. CFI is one of the favorite skill development and certification platforms of many aspiring students. It is a one-stop solution for finance students.
- Course Name: Financial Modeling and Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
- 100% online classes
- 29 courses (with 14 required courses and 3 elective courses) including 1550+ lessons
- 170+ interactive exercises
- Blockchain certificate with the successful completion of the curriculum
- Prep Course: Accounting Fundamentals, Financial Statements Reading, Excel Fundamentals, Corporate Finance Fundamentals, Math for Corporate Finance Fundamentals, Capital IQ, and Macabacus Fundamentals.
- Core Courses: Financial Analysis Fundamentals, Accounting Principles, and Standards, 3 Statement Financial Model Building, Business Valuation Modeling, Budgeting, Forecasting, FP&A Monthly Cash Flow Forecast Model, Scenario and Sensitivity Analysis in Excel, Dashboards, and Data Visualization, PowerPoint, Pitchbooks and Professional Ethics.
- Elective Courses: Operational Modeling, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) Modeling, Leverage Buyout (LBO) Modeling, The Amazon Case Study, Financial Information Presentation, Real Estate Financial Modeling, Startup and e-Commerce Financial Modeling and Valuation, Mining, Solar Financial Modeling, Corporate & Business Strategy, Advanced Excel Formulas, Functions and Excel VBA for Finance.
Self-study – $497/year
Full immersion – $847/year
Also Read: Financial Modeling Courses with Placement
3. LinkedIn Learning – Lynda
LinkedIn Learning is an American educational technology company. They offer courses on important skills in categories, which are Business, Technology, Creative, and Certifications. They also offer some free courses which can help you to achieve your professional and personal goals.
- Course Name: Financial Modeling Foundations Using Excel for Financial Modeling
- Practical understanding of topics
- 2 exercise files
- Successful completion of the course and scoring at least 70% earns you CPE credits
- Basics of financial modeling
- Financial Forecast
- Creating and evaluating finance models
- Application in complex Excel scenarios
- Valuation process in financial models
Course Fee: Not mentioned
4. IMS Preschool
IMS emerged as the fourth most trusted education brand in a survey. Since 1977, they have been working towards building a successful career for the students. They offer programs in Finance, Marketing, Accounting, and Analytics. Under the PPP model, they provide programs in the Mechanical, Electrical, Retailing, and Healthcare domains.
- Course Name: FM Certification Course
- Joint certification from IMS Preschool and NSE Academy
- 80% practical classes
- 100% placement assistance
- Excel: Basics, functions and financial math, problem identification and solving, Excel visualization, and Storytelling with data
- Financial Statement Analysis: Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, and Ratio Analysis
- Corporate Finance: Time value of money and IIR, Cost of Capital, Sources, and uses of Capital
- Project Finance: Building a manufacturing project, a service project, tax implications, evaluating a project in totality
- Equity Modeling: Valuation, DCF & Relative valuation, sourcing historical data, forecasting costs, revenues, BS, and CFS
Live classes – INR 32,000
Distance learning – INR 20,000
5. Wall Street Prep
Wall Street Prep is established by investment bankers in 2004. They work to build the gap between the academic community and the real business world. Their clients are top investment banks, investment funds, private equity firms, and business schools.
- Course Name: Financial and Valuation Training Program – Premium Package
- Prerequisites: Basics of accounting and Excel
- 7 courses
- The premium course is self-paced
- 1-month access to PitchBook
- The course provides real case studies in investment banking training
- Certification after successful completion of the course and exam
- 39 bonus mini-courses and optional 30 minutes live events with the instructor
- Financial Statement Modeling, Excel Setting, Formatting Conventions, Modeling Historical Data, Forecasting the Income Statement, and Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement, Revolver, Sensitivity Tables, Scenario Analysis, EPS, PV Analysis, CAGR, Working Capital, Depreciation Waterfall, Updating an Existing Model
- DCF Mechanics, Building the Core DCF Model, DCF Output, Mid-Year Convention, Stock Options, Convertibles, Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Connecting DCF to 3 Statement Model, Additional DCF Considerations, Finding Cost of Debt and Beta on Bloomberg
- M&A Modeling, Accretion/Dilution Analysis, Purchase Price Allocation, Deferred Tax, Diluted Shares, Deal Assumptions, Financial Assumptions, PPA, Goodwill and Write-Ups, Credit Statistics, GAAP EPS, Sensitivity Analysis, Contribution Analysis, and Exchange
- Trading Comps Modeling, PE & PEG Ratio, P/B, EV/EBIT, EV/EBITDA, Spreading EXTR, Spreading BRCD, Spreading JNPR, Spreading CSCO, Presentation, and Interpretation, ARUN & FFIV, GAAP, Non-GAAP
- Transaction Comps Modeling, Implementation, Dilutive Securities Calculation, Modeling and Spreading Brocade, Spreading Extreme/Enterasys, Spreading HP/3COM, Spreading Thoma Bravo/ Blue Coat
- LBO Basics, Structure of PE Firms & Investor, Modeling and Forecasting, LBO Exit & Return Analysis, Sensitivity Analysis, Pro Forma Balance Sheet Adjustments
- Building Buyers List, Strategic Buyers, Financial Buyers, Screening
Course Fee $499
Recommended Read: Online Financial Modeling Courses
EY is a global organization. They focus on building a better working world. Their virtual academy provides certification courses in Business, Finance, Accounting, Analytics, Process, and Compliance.
- Course Name: Certificate in Financial Modeling and Valuation [eLearning]
- 6 months of LMS access
- 36+ hours of e-learning videos
- Online assessment
- Passing the exam with 50% earns you a certificate of completion
- Learn to make robust, efficient, and flexible financial models and valuation methods through demonstrations and examples.
- Key financial ratios assess valuation outputs, and past business data, present integrated financial statements, prepare future projections, and build representations.
Course Fee – INR 10,000 plus taxes
7. Investopedia Academy
Investopedia Academy motivates and guides the youth to find better employment. They offer Trading Courses, Investing Courses, Financial Professional Courses, Excel for Finance Courses, Cryptocurrency Courses, Personal Finance Courses, etc.
- Course Name: Financial Modeling Course
- 8 hours of on-demand videos
- Exercises and interactive content
- Lifetime access
- Receive a certificate of enrolment with the course
- Enables you to build a financial model after the very first session
- Valuation: Debt, Enterprise Value, Free Cash Flow, Present Value & Discounting, Terminal Value, Cost of Capital
- Setting up a Simple Financial Model
- Break-Even and Sensitivity Analysis
- True To Life Instructions
- Scenario Analysis
- Capex and Depreciation
- Deprecation Schedules
- Working Capital
- Shortening the Cash Cycle
Course Fee – INR 15,464.39
8. Grant Thornton Academy
Grant Thornton Learning & Development Academy provides result-oriented training programs to students and professionals. They have both classroom and e-learning programs. They offer courses in Blockchain, Business Intelligence, Public Accountant, Forensic Accounting & Fraud Investigation, IFRS, Cybersecurity, GST, Data Analytics, etc.
- Course Name: Certificate in Financial Modelling & Valuation Online Live
- 70 hours of study (40 hours of an instructor-led session through CISCO WEBEX, 30 hours of recorded VBA, and additional case studies)
- 1 year of LMS access
- Certification of completion with the successful completion of the final exam
- Excel: Financial Model Template, String Function, Offset Function, Linking, Macros, Custom Formating, Referencing
- Financial Statements Historical Statements, Assumptions, Forecast
- Financial Model – Data Collection, Data Structuring, Public and Private Data Sources, Preliminary Scrutiny
- Modeling: Historical Statements, Assumptions, Revenue Build-up, Cost Build-up, Asset Schedule, Depreciation Schedule, Working Capital, Term Loan Modeling, Modeling Impact, Equity Modeling, Cash Flow Statement Projection, Modeling Paid Up Capital, and Share Premium Account
- Valuation: Applying DCF, Cost of Equity – CAPM, Net cost of debt, WACC, DCF, Performing Sensitivity/Scenario Analysis
- Projection Valuation: NPV & IRR, Creating EPC Schedule, CAPEX Schedule, P&L, GANTT Chart
- Visualization –Data Sources, Format data in the table, Possible data sources, Building dashboard, Charts, Pie Pivot, Sparklines Pivots, Interactivity with slicers,
- M&A: Forms of Payment in a Merger Deal, Calculating FCFF, NPV, Calculating Valuation of the Company
- Pooling Method, Accretion/Dilution Analysis, Performing Sensitivity Analysis EPS of the Acquirer, Contribution Analysis
Course Fee – INR 30,000 plus taxes
Recommended Read: Advanced Financial Modeling Course with Excel
9. Wiley Efficient Learning
Wiley Efficient Learning has helped learners for 200 years. They provide quality content from leading experts. They work to make learning efficient. They offer courses in Accounting, Finance and Business skills.
- Course Name: AFM Pro
- 12 hours of Marquee self-study course
- 8 hours of live online training course
- 2 hours of FMI exam prep session
- The program has 3 packages.
- The essential package provides material for individual learning.
- The pro package has resources for self-study and interactive training sessions.
- Along with self-study material and live training, the platinum package option includes exam coaching and registration for the AFM exam.
Platinum package – $1,095.00
Pro package – $595.00
Essential package – $295.00
10. Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR)
EUR is ranked number 1 in the Netherlands and number 4 worldwide in The Young University Rankings 2022. Erasmus University Rotterdam has a university college, two institutes, and seven schools. They offer courses for many disciples.
- Course Name: Advanced Valuation and Strategy – M&A, Private Equity, and Venture Capital
- Enrolment is free
- Duration – 5 weeks
- Introduction to NPV (including DCF, real options, and game theory)
- Valuation of High-tech ventures, Leverage buyout, and investment in new ventures
- Provides tools that can help your decisions in business and daily life
Course Fee – The certificate fee is around 50 euros. The course is absolutely free.
Coursera is a well-known US-based open online education platform founded in 2012 by Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller. They provide online courses and certifications in a variety of domains. They also offer some free courses.
- Course Name: Profit Analysis using Economic Value Added
- Duration – 1 hour
- Intermediate level
- No download needed
- Economic Value Added Overview
- Calculating WACC
- Calculating capital invested and finance charge
- Calculating NOPAT
- Calculating Economic Value Added
- Calculating Weighted Average Cost of Capital
- Measuring the profitability of the projects, and management performance
Course Fee: Enroll for free
- Course Name: Finance & Quantitative Modeling for Analysts Specialization by University of Pennsylvania
- Free enrolment
- Beginner level
- Flexible schedule
- It takes approximately 4 months to complete
- Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling
- Introduction to Spreadsheets and Models
- Financial Acumen for Non-Financial Managers
- Introduction to Corporate Finance
Course Fee: Enroll for free
- Course Name: Valuation and Financial Analysis for Startups Specialization by Yonsei University
- Free enrolment
- Beginner level
- It takes approximately 6 months to complete
- Startup valuations Using Discounted Cash Flows Approach
- Valuation for Startups Using Multiple Approach
- Financial Analysis for Startups
- Applying Investment Decision Rules for Startups
- Valuation and Financial Analysis For Startups Capstone
Course Fee: Enroll for free
Here is a Comprehensive Guide to Financial Planning and Analysis
Udemy is a popular open online education platform that offers many on-demand courses. It was established in 2010 by Gagan Biyani, Eren Bali, and Oktay Caglar. They aim to empower aspiring learners to grow personally and professionally.
- Course Name: Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modeling and Valuation
- 15 hours of on-demand video with 9 articles and 621 offline resources
- Lifetime access
- Certificate of completion
- Excel: Data Entry, Formulas, Functions, Custom Formatting, Macros, Formula auditing with F2, SUMIFs, IRR Function, Data functions in Excel, Pivot Tables
- Build a complete P&L from Scratch in Excel, VLOOKUP, INDEX&MATCH, XLOOKUP, COUNTIF
- Excel: Trend Analysis, Comparative Analysis, Value-based analysis, Correlation analysis, Time series analysis, Regression analysis, Excel charts, Bridge chart, Treemap chart, Sparklines
- FMCG Model from Scratch, SAP data extraction, Excel slicers, Financial Modeling and Company Valuation, Merger & Acquisitions, Discounted Cash Flow Model, Tesla Valuation, Capital Budgeting
Course Fee INR 3,499/-
- Course Name: The Complete Finance Analyst Course 2022
- 19.5 hours of on-demand video with 17 articles and 495 offline resources
- Lifetime access
- Certificate of completion
- Microsoft Excel: Tools, Build a P&L from Scratch, SUMIFs, Professional charts from Scratch, Pivot Tables & Slicers, 3 Statement Model, Flexible model with multiple scenarios.
- Accounting and Bookkeeping, Types of Costs, Liabilities and Assets, Revenue Recognition, Cost Recognition, Importance of Time, Cash Flow Statement
- Trade Receivables, Inventory, Fixed Assets, Trade Payables, Financial Liabilities, Leasing Liabilities, Using Leverage, Types of Equity, Raising Equity, Dividend Payments
- Financial Statement Analysis: Working Capital Management, Time Value of Money, Value of Cash Flows with Time, Loan Calculations
- Capital Budgeting
Course Fee: INR 3,499/-
- Course Name: The Complete Financial Analyst Training & Investing Course
- 22.5 hours of on-demand videos with 5 articles and 34 offline materials
- #1 best-selling Investing course on Udemy
- Lifetime access
- Certificate of completion
- Microsoft Excel, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Cash Flow Statement, Portfolio Management, Mutual Fund, Hedge Fund, etc.
- Private Equity, Venture Capital, Investment Bank, Private Wealth Management, Sell-Side Research Analysis, Sales Trade, Buy-Side Trade, Sell-Side Trade, Large Non-Finance Companies, Equity Sales, and Tech / Artificial Intelligence.
- Working on Monetary Policy, and Fiscal Policy
- Use valuation methodologies including EV/EBITDA, EV/Sales, EV/FCF, P/B, P/E, P/R, etc.
Course Fee – INR 5,900/-
1. What are the career paths that I can explore after studying the FMVA courses?
In Corporates – Treasury, Industry relations, Corporate development
In Public Accounting – Valuation, Due diligence, Transactions advisory
In Bank – Investment banking, Equity research, Sales and trading
In Institutions – Research analyst, Equity analyst, Portfolio management
2. What should I do if I couldn’t afford FMVA courses?
Finance modeling and valuation analyst course (FMVA) are available in all price ranges. The fee goes even down with offers and coupon codes. There are free online courses with certification. For certain courses the enrolment is free, only students who want a certificate are asked to pay the fee. Some courses allow you to pay the fee in installments. Financial aid is provided in a few academies where you need to check the website for complete details. You can also check out free YouTube videos on FMVA.
3. What is the salary of financial modeling and valuation analyst?
According to the survey conducted by CFI in 2018, the average FMVA salary is $121000 per year. In India the national average salary for a Financial Modelling Analyst is INR3,68,289. The salary varies with the candidate’s experience level and the company which recruited them.
4. How long will it normally take to complete the FMVA courses?
Many online education platforms support self-paced learning. There are hour-length FMVA courses and there are courses that run for weeks and even months. The programs with live classes will expect you to be available at the scheduled time. Many online courses give lifetime access to the classes. Some courses even provide downloadable videos and materials for the class. The duration of each course is mentioned in the above content.
FMVA courses are available at all levels. You can check the prerequisite skills to enroll in a course. Some programs offer a brush-up session before getting into the core of the subject. The above content has courses for candidates from different levels. Some websites suggest you enroll in crash courses if you did not have any prior knowledge of the subject. If you studied commerce and accounts in school you can opt for an intermediate or expert level course.
It is advisable to check the merit and credibility of the certificate of FMVA courses. With the above content, you can compare the courses and choose one that suits your convenience. If you are planning to pursue a full-time career in Finance you are suggested to choose a detailed course that provides you with a certificate for the successful completion of their exam. Some courses offer internship opportunities and give 100% placement assurance. Some online academies also get you in touch with their alumni. You can also read reviews and feedback on the course.