7 Best Financial Modeling Short Courses
Financial modeling is a feature incorporated into spreadsheet software like MS Excel that forecasts a company’s financial performance. The prediction is usually based on the company’s past performance and future assumptions, and it necessitates the preparation of an income statement. The 3 statement model consists of a balance sheet, cash flow statement, and supporting schedules. More complex models, such as discounted cash flow analysis (DCF), Sensitivity analysis, leveraged buyout (LBO), mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and leveraged buyout (LBO) can be created there. Below is an Excel financial modeling example.
Financial modeling is a skill that is high in demand. You can participate in financial modeling short courses to anticipate future business performance and assess how different elements will affect your revenue, whether you’re planning to switch careers, pushing for a promotion, or have established your own business.
What is the Purpose of a Financial Model?
Whether inside or outside the organization, the output of a financial model is used for decision-making and financial analysis. Financial models will be used by executives inside a company to make choices about:
- Capitalization (debt and/or equity)
- Buying and selling enterprises and/or assets
- Organically growing the company (e.g., opening new stores, entering new markets, etc.)
- Assets and business units are being sold or divested.
- Planning and budgeting (planning for the years ahead)
- Allocation of capital (priority of which projects to invest in)
- Financial statement analysis/ratio analysis
- Business valuation
- Accounting for management
Who Should Take Financial Modeling Short Courses?
- Investment banking and equities research experts
- Finance managers
- Corporate finance, private equity, and mergers and acquisitions professionals
- CA, FRM, MBA finance, and CFA candidates
- Self-employed finance professionals.
Who Builds Financial Models?
Building financial models are done by a variety of specialists. Investment banking, stock research, corporate development, FP&A, and accounting are the most popular job paths (due diligence, transaction advisory, valuations, etc).
Also Check: Types of Financial Models
How Can You Learn Through Financial Modeling Short Courses?
Practice is the greatest approach to learning financial modeling. To become an expert at constructing a financial model, you’ll need years of experience and a lot of practice. Reading equity study papers can be a good approach to practice because you can compare your results to theirs.
Using a mature company’s past financials to develop a flat-line model for the future and calculate the net present value per share is one of the greatest ways to practice. This should be comparable to the current share price or equities research report target pricing.
For a holistic experience in financial modeling, check out our 360-degree Financial Modeling Course. Book your seat for a free demo today!
Financial Modeling Short Courses
1. IIM Skills Financial Modeling Mater Course
If you are in search of an institution where you can learn the core concepts of financial modeling to become a professional in a short period span, then you should consider IIM Skills financial modeling course. They provide a 3-month course in financial modeling which is highly appreciated by thousands of students who learned from there.
Because it is a live training program, learning will be easy for students as they allow their students to ask their doubts to clear the quest at the given point. They focus on quality training rather than quantity of time, hence they have created a curriculum to cover all the concepts with so much depth and clarity.
IIM Skills is the right place for those who want to flourish in their careers and truly want to develop a good portfolio for great career opportunities. Yes, the internship opportunity they provide gives you a chance to work on different projects and establish good work references for remarkable opportunities.
Course Fee – INR 39900 + GST
Download Financial Modeling Course Brochure
FIND WHY 20,000+ PEOPLE LOVE IIM SKILLS
Financial Modeling Course Highlights
- In-depth training via live interactive sessions.
- Practical assignments during the course
- Personalized mentorship
- 24*7 support
- Life access to recorded sessions
- Internship opportunity
- 100% placement assistance
2. Rice University’s Business Statistics and Analysis Specialization (Coursera)
Rice University’s Jones Graduate School of Business offers a Business Statistics and Analysis specialization. It consists of four courses and a capstone project that provides learners with crucial conceptual and practical abilities in data analysis and modeling for business applications utilizing Excel spreadsheets.
Learners will grasp core spreadsheet functions, generate descriptive business data measurements, and develop an aptitude for data modeling, in addition to gaining a basic understanding of business and financial data analysis tools and procedures. Basic probability concepts, including measuring and modeling uncertainty, employing diverse data distributions, and the Linear Regression Model to assess and advise business decisions, are also covered in this specialization’s courses.
This specialization occurs at three levels at the same time. First, learners get a conceptual grasp of the many tools and techniques used in business data analysis and modeling with a focus on why they are needed rather than becoming bogged down in the minutiae.
Second, participants gain hands-on experience with the tools, which include core data analysis tools, Excel spreadsheet tools, and numerous business statistics tools. Finally, learners get to use the tools they’ve learned to evaluate and analyze data from a range of business processes. Because this is an introductory specialty, no previous knowledge or experience is required.
It is appropriate for people who have no or limited functional knowledge of Excel, as well as those who use Excel regularly but only in a peripheral capacity and want to improve their skills. Students must have a Windows version of Microsoft Excel 2010 or later to complete course assignments.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the tools and procedures used in business data analysis. Learn how to use Excel and how to use sophisticated functions and formulae.
- Learn how to construct various charts, such as line, bar, and pie charts, pivot charts, scatter plots, and histograms.
- Acquire relevant and practical skills that you can instantly apply in your work across a variety of industries. Capstone Project, in which you will apply your newly acquired skills and knowledge to a real-world business situation.
Recommended Read: Online Financial Modeling Courses
3. Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modeling and Valuation (Udemy)
This financial modeling short course is the finest among Udemy financial modeling courses, with over 112000 students enrolled and a good rating. This course promises to make learners Excel masters with over 12 hours of video instruction and 534 downloadable tools. It teaches how to create reliable financial models and provides an in-depth understanding of company valuation processes.
This Course Is Made Up of Five Smaller Courses, Making It a Five-in-one Training Package:
- Excel training for beginners and intermediate users
- Excel’s advanced features, such as pivot tables, formatting, and charts
- Create a financial model
- LBO and Discounted Cash Flow Valuation Models
- Case Study on Capital Budgeting
The training materials are well-designed and simple to comprehend. Quizzes, exercises, understandable demonstrations, and case studies based on real-life circumstances abound. Professional chart examples, such as those used by big banks and consulting organizations, are included in the text.
This is a perfect course for anyone who wants to learn how to use Excel in real working conditions. This course includes something for everyone, whether you’re a student searching for your first job, a young professional looking to learn new skills, or a seasoned professional trying to brush up on your knowledge.
It is especially useful for graduates who wish to work as investment bankers because it offers a well-structured DCF model as well as the theoretical concepts that go along with it. 365 Careers has a team of finance professors teaching the course. With over 1 million students enrolled in their courses, 365 Careers is a prominent provider of financial courses on Udemy, including professionals from world-class companies such as Apple, PayPal, and Citibank.
- Understand Microsoft Excel and its many sophisticated features
- Create P&L statements from raw data
- Create Cash Flow statements
- Create Valuation models from the start
- Create models with numerous scenarios
- Learn how to value a firm
- Create professional and attractive advanced charts
- No prior knowledge is required to complete the course o Content and study materials are updated regularly o Udemy’s unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee
4. Business and Financial Modeling Specialization by Wharton (Coursera)
The prestigious Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania offers this Business and Financial Modeling Certification specialization for anyone looking to improve their spreadsheet and modeling skills. It introduces students to spreadsheet models, modeling methodologies, common investment analysis, company valuation, forecasting, and other applications.
It teaches students to utilize spreadsheets to create scenarios, estimate performance, and make informed business and financial decisions. This specialization is aimed at building whole knowledge from the ground up, therefore it is suitable for newcomers with no prior experience in finance.
Only high-school-level math (to pre-calculus) is recommended. Participants will be able to use Excel spreadsheets to develop fundamental business models to analyze, optimize, and anticipate outcomes, allowing them to make data-driven decisions for their businesses.
The classes’ for this financial modeling short courses are real-life examples that aid in a far better comprehension of the ideas. Six senior Wharton faculty members from accounting, statistics, and finance disciplines will teach the courses. They are known for their research and have produced multiple books on business and finance.
This is the finest Coursera financial modeling course if you’re trying to start or move into a new job in financial analysis and modeling, or if you’re an entrepreneur looking to grow your business by learning financial analysis skills. It is also highly valuable for current finance professionals who want to improve their analytic and modeling skills.
- Understand the fundamentals of quantitative modeling and be able to construct your models
- Learn how to use spreadsheets to map and predict data
- Learn how to incorporate risk and uncertainty into your models
- Structure your decision-making for the best results
- Understand risk measurement and management
- Model current realities, possible risks, alternate scenarios, and projected performance in business scenarios
Recommended Read: Online Business Accounting and Taxation Courses
5. Excel Skills for Business Specialization by Macquarie University (Coursera)
Excel abilities are in high demand among business and finance professionals because it is the most significant piece of software utilized in financial analysis and modeling. This Macquarie University specialization seeks to provide advanced Excel abilities for business. It consists of a series of four courses that progress learners from basic to advanced Excel expertise.
It teaches students how to successfully handle massive datasets, extract useful information from datasets, present data, and extract information. Participants will learn how to forecast and model data using spreadsheets. They also learn how to automate processes, use complex calculations, and apply conditional logic to make better business judgments.
These financial modeling short courses are very hands-on specializations with lots of demos and a wide range of business challenges that students tackle with the Excel skills and techniques they learn.
Learners will be able to construct sophisticated spreadsheets, including professional dashboards, and execute complex calculations using advanced Excel features and techniques after finishing this Specialization. This Excel financial modeling course is for beginners and does not require any prior knowledge or experience.
- The best Excel for Finance course
- Be able to navigate the Excel user interface, entering, manipulating, and formatting data o
- Understand how to validate data and avoid spreadsheet errors
- Understand how to manage enormous datasets and provide useful reports
- Understand how to use charts and graphs to visualize data.
- Learn how to use Excel to automate your daily duties.
- Gain experience cleaning and preparing data for analysis.
- Acquire knowledge of dates and financial functions.
- Discover how to make navigational aids for huge workbooks.
- Use functions to automate data lookups and choices.
- Learn how to create excellent Excel dashboards
- Excel workbooks, quizzes, and challenges to help you practice using Excel in a range of business situations
- Taught by an award-winning Macquarie University professor with expertise in online learning, student engagement, and higher education digital transformation.
6. Finance & Quantitative Modeling for Analysts Specialization by Wharton (Coursera)
This Specialization in the financial modeling training is designed for students who wish to enter the fast-paced world of data and business analysis, as well as improve their knowledge and abilities in finance and quantitative modeling. Spreadsheet models, financial modeling tools, corporate finance, and investment analysis are among the topics covered in the four professional courses.
The foundations of quantitative modeling are the first step in specialization. Students are taught the basic ideas and techniques of quantitative modeling through a series of brief lectures, demonstrations, and exercises so that they can construct their models for their business or enterprise. The course then moves on to teach students about spreadsheet tools and formulas.
It teaches kids how to use spreadsheets to map data and forecast data scenarios in the future. Later courses include income and cash flow statements, financial reporting, and an overview of corporate finance basics. It is an introductory curriculum that does not require any prior knowledge.
Participants are expected to have a basic understanding of Excel or Sheets. Senior Wharton professors Richard Waterman, Don Huesman, Richard Lambert, Christopher D. Ittner, and Michael R Roberts teach this Finance and Quantitative Modeling Certificate program. Their work has been published in prestigious journals, and they have written books in the fields of business marketing and finance.
Develop quantitative models that represent real-world factors.
- Learn to understand revenue and cash flow statements;
- Learn to design financial models and decision trees using Excel;
- Examine several practical, commonly used quantitative models, as well as the building blocks that will allow you to begin structuring your models
- Gain an understanding of financial reporting frameworks, income statements, and cash reporting.
- Gain an understanding of alternative techniques to evaluate financial performance using real-life examples.
- Be able to measure financial performance and estimate future financial scenarios by understanding how financial and non-financial facts interact.
- Learn the principles of corporate finance and how to apply them to a range of real-world scenarios.
Duration: Approx. 2 months, 10 hours per week
Recommended Read: Financial Modeling Courses in Mumbai
7. Certified Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA) by CFI
Corporate Finance Institute’s Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA) Certification is for very ambitious financial analysts who want to close the skill gap between formal education and becoming a world-class financial analyst. These financial modeling short courses aim to provide a solid foundation for financial modeling and valuation.
CFI claims alumni work with well-known companies such as Citibank, Amazon, Deloitte, PWC, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Citibank, and HSBC. This is a very comprehensive program with over 24 courses, hundreds of Excel and PPT templates, and over 100 hours of video training.
In addition to video lectures, it includes many hands-on exercises, quizzes, and assessments. To complete the program and obtain FMVA certification, students must complete all course exams with a passing score of 80% or higher. The entire course is organized like an online course with core courses and a wide range of compulsory electives.
Core courses include Financial Analysis Basics, Three-Statement Financial Model Building, Business Evaluation Modeling, Budgeting and Forecasting, Monthly FP & A Cash Flow Forecasting, Scenario, and Sensitivity Analysis, Dashboard, and Data Visualization, PowerPoint and Pitchbook, And advanced financial modeling and evaluation.
This program was developed by an instructor with over 21 years of training experience in financial analysis. They have trained financial professionals in the largest and most prestigious global banks and institutions. This CFI training is designed to be done at your own pace and students typically complete certification in 6 months. Upon registration, students will have lifetime access to the complete CFI library.
- Develop industry-leading best practices for layout, design, and structure of financial models
- Understand the key concepts of Accounting, finance and financial analysis
- Learn Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills
- Learn all about presentations, charts, and graphs
- Learn to perform scenario analysis, sensitivity analysis, accretion/dilution analysis, and other advanced modeling practices
- Learn to value a company using comparable company analysis, precedent transactions, and discounted cash flow DCF modeling
- Compare the pros and cons of different valuation methods, and become proficient in all of them
- Gain on-the-job skills and knowledge that generally takes years to learn
Q1. Is it Worth It to Take Financial Modeling short courses?
Financial modeling training is worthwhile provided you get the necessary skills and training. With a certification program like CFI’s Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst, you can become a financial modeler and valuation analyst (FMVA).
Q2. How can I prepare for the financial modeling course?
The best way to understand financial modeling is to practice. Years of experience and a lot of practice are required to become an expert at building a financial model. Reading equity research papers can help you practice by allowing you to compare your results to theirs.
Q3. How fast can I learn financial modeling?
A program might take anywhere from 20 days to a month to complete, and its learning is entirely up to you. Financial modeling training is required to understand the drivers and consequences of organizational decisions.
Q4. Can I get a job after learning through financial modeling courses?
All job opportunities that are available after the Financial Modeling course are majorly in the field of finance. A candidate can start a role in industries such as equity research companies, government, non-profit organizations, Private Finance Companies, etc.
Financial models are used to estimate a company’s value or to compare companies to their industry peers. They’re also utilized in strategic planning to run simulations, assess the costs of new initiatives, set budgets, and allocate company resources. Financial modeling is the process of projecting a project’s or business’s financial performance by considering all important aspects, including growth and risk assumptions, and evaluating their influence. It allows the user to quickly learn all of the aspects that go into financial forecasting. This makes financial modeling a good course option to elevate the career of an individual.