Financial Modeling Self Study – A Brief Overview
Financial Modeling is a course for finance enthusiast who desires to learn or understand the working and role of modern technological advancement in the realm of the finance industry and for those old-school professionals who wants to stay always updated with the latest trends and innovation which are associated with finance. In this article, we are going to discuss paths through which interested individuals who aspire to build their careers in finance or professional experts who are looking forward to developing new skills related to finance. This article will serve as a guide for exploring the top five Financial Modeling Self Study Courses that armed every dedicated learner with knowledge and skills to build complex financial models, predict outcomes, manage risks and drive growth. Attendees of Financial Modeling Self Study courses have the convenience and flexibility to learn at their own pace. Without procrastination join us on a journey as we explore the fascinating realm of financial modelling self-study.
Table of Content
- Introduction to Financial Modeling
- Eligibility Criteria for Pursuing Financial Modeling Courses
Top 5 Financial Modeling Self Study Courses
- IIM SKILLS
- Wall Street Prep
- Corporate Finance Institute
- LinkedIn Learning
- Frequently Asked Questions
Introduction to Financial Modeling
Prior to unravelling a list of leading Financial Modeling Self Study programs, let us understand the concept of financial modelling. The term Financial Modeling refers to the process of creating a comprehensive and extensive representation of businesses or individuals’ current and accurate financial position through implementing financial modelling techniques, numerical ability along with statistical methods. Through financial modelling, business organisations are enabled to ascertain pivotal details regarding the financial aspects of their business including operational or variable expenses, cash flow situations, debt, revenues, market trends and more. Financial Modeling aid business organisation & concerns individuals by providing authentic insights through in-depth analysis of their financial statements which directly assist them in evaluating multiple investment opportunities, maintaining financial health and contributing to informed decision-making.
Eligibility for Pursuing Financial Modeling Courses
There are not any strict requirements or prerequisites as eligibility criteria to starting a journey in financial modeling courses. Whether you’re a working professional, student, graduate fresher or an aspiring finance enthusiast, you can pursue financial modeling courses for two main reasons first develop new skills in finance or second enhance the financial skills you have. However, if individuals have a basic understanding of finance and accounting concepts then this course would be advantageous for them.
Financial Modeling courses focus teaching on diverse topics of finance including business management, financial statements, investments or related fields. Individuals must have the willingness to enter this complex and challenging field of the finance industry along with strong analytical abilities, and proficiency in using tools like Microsoft Excel are valuable assets for effectively grasping the concepts covered in financial modelling courses.
- Online Financial Modeling Services
- Financial Modeling Course Eligibility
- Sensitivity Analysis
- Financial Modeling Salary
- Scope of Financial Modeling
- Financial Modeling
- Financial Modeling Books
Top 6 Financial Modeling Self Study Courses
1. IIM SKILLS
One of the leading and fastest-growing Ed-Tech companies IIM SKILLS was established in 2015 after a successful educational blog. They are famous for providing unparalleled and top-notch professional courses in various domains.
The courses delivered by IIM SKILLS are helping many individuals including graduate freshers along with experienced professionals to build a successful career in their specific field and enhance or develop new skills. They also emphasize providing practical knowledge with theoretical support to make their students ready to face challenges in their respective working industries. They are one of the top-ranked institutes that offer Financial Modeling self study & online live Courses worldwide.
Module 1 – Basic and Advanced Excel (8-10 hours)
Module 2 – Accounting Concepts and Financial Statements (5-7 hours)
Module 3 – Ratio/KPI Analysis (4-6 hours)
Module 4 – Basics of Financial Modeling (4 hours)
Module 5 – Different Types of Financial Models (12-15 hours)
• LBO Model
• M&A Model
• Private Equity Return Model
• 13 Week Cash Flow Model
Module 6 – Business Valuation (7-9 hours)
• Relative Valuation – Trading and Transaction Comps
• DCF Valuation
• NAV Approach for Valuation
- Course Duration: 3 Months + 2 Months Guaranteed Internship (Candidates have internship choice)
- Mode of Study: Online Live Classes & Self-study
- Course Fees: INR 39,900 + 18% GST
Course Curriculum in Detail
The course is divided into six modules. Let us explore each module in detail.
Module 1 – Basic & Advance Excel (8 – 10 hours)
- Introduction to Ms Excel
- Understanding the Ribbons
- Excel Keyboard Shortcut Keys
- Formula & Regular Function
- Conditional Formatting Rules
- Formatting & structuring of Numbers & Fonts
- Concept & Understanding of freezing cells, rows or columns
- Data Validation, Data Presentation,
- Sorting & Filtration Process of Data
- Understanding Tables, Charts & Graphs
- Introduction to Macross
- Sparklines & Sensitivity Analysis
- Complex Functions: Time Value Function, Text Functions, Return Function & more.
- Calculation & Refrencings
- What-if Analysis
Module 2 – Accounting Concepts & Financial Statements (8-10 hours)
- Accounting Principles
- Accrual vs Cash Reporting
- Doble Entry Book keping
- Law of Going Concern & Law of Prudence
- Money Measurement
- Historical Cost Concept
- Understanding Income Statements
- Financial Statements including Balance Sheets, Cash flow Statements & more.
- Understanding various types of costs
- Comprehensive Income
- Financial statements
- Preparation of financial statements
- Reading & Understanding Annual Reports
- Understanding Management Discussion
Module 3 – Ratio/KPI Analysis (4-5 hours)
- Introduction to Different Types of Ratios – Activity/Turnover, Profitability, Valuation, Liquidity, Solvency & more.
- DuPont Formula
- Three or Five Stage Analysis
- Understanding Basic EPS & Diluted EPS
- Concept of Treasure Stock Method
- Preparation of Financial Summary
Module 4 – Technicals of Financial Modeling (10-12 hours)
- Financial Modeling Structure
- Creating various scenarios to prepare a financial model
- Building Revenue
- Cost Drivers
- Creation of schedules
- Error Tracking
- Financial Modeling Practices or Approaches
- Implementing Python – Financial Modeling
- Financial Modeling Software
Module 5 – Different Types of Financial Models (18-20 hours)
- Three Statement Projection Model
- LBO Model
- Mergers & Acquisitions Model
- Private Equity Return Model
- Cash-Flow Model
Module 6 – Business Valuation (6-8 hours)
- Relative Valuation
- Trading & Transaction
- Difference between GPM & GTM
- Understanding the Concept of Controlling Premium
- Introduction to Discount Cash Flow Valuation
- Understanding different types of risk & its valuation process
- Concept of Levered & Unlevered Beta
- Identifying Terminal Value by implementing different approaches such as Gordon Growth Model/Perpetuity Growth Model, Exit Multiple Method, H-Model
- Understanding Mid-Period Valuation
- Introduction to Sensitivity Analysis
- Implementing Net Asset Value (NAV) for valuation
- Online lectures 70+ hours which includes 50+ hours of training & 20+ hours of doubt sessions
- Online lectures are also available in a recorded format so students can do self-study.
- Lifetime access to the course
- Practical Assignment & Case Studies
- Support in Mock Interview Preparations
- 24-7 assistance available
- Focusing on skill development
- 100% Job Support & Dedicated Placement Cell
Professional Courses from IIM SKILLS
- Digital Marketing Course
- SEO Course
- Technical Writing Course
- GST Course
- Content Writing Course
- Business Accounting And Taxation Course
- CAT Coaching
- Investment Banking Course
Certification: The certificate is provided by IIM SKILLS which is recognized by the MSME Government of India.
Contact Us: +91 9580740740, [email protected]
2. Wall Street Prep
If we are discussing financial courses, we cannot overlook the esteemed institution of Wall Street Prep, renowned for its comprehensive programs that equip individuals with the knowledge and skills to excel in finance and become experts in the industry. Wall Street Prep was established by a group of experts and professional investment bankers in 2004 with the objective of offering the development of practical skills along with theoretical knowledge because they believe practical training is necessary to thrive in a job or secured desired job opportunities efficiently. Moreover, they specialize in preparing candidates for making their career in Investment, corporate finance & other areas of the finance industry to secure high paying Jobs in finance. Wall Street Prep offers a variety of courses including Financial Modeling Self Study & Live course, Valuation Modeling Course and more. Their major focus is on enhancing the study of Financial Modeling to assist individuals in developing essential skills and becoming experts in the competitive world of finance.
Course Name: Financial & Valuation Modeling Certification Program (Premium Package)
Course Duration: 45 hours 60-minute
Mode of Study: Self-Study Approach
- Introduction to various types of Financial Modeling including Financial Statement Modeling. Discount Cash Flow Modeling, Mergers & Acquisition Modeling, Trading Comps Modeling, Transaction Comps Modeling and Leveraged Buyout Modeling.
- Fundamental of Excel
- Understanding Advance Excel for Financial Modeling
- Learning in building customized & industry-specific financial models models
- Understanding the basic concept of Finance
- Introduction to Comparable Company Analyses
- Introduction to Valuation Modeling
- Business & Distressed Modeling
- Self-paced & comprehensive course
- “On the job” Investment Banking Traning
- Led by industry-expert mentors
- Real-world case studies
- Excel templates & multiple resources are available
- Resume building & let you upload your resume on their website
- Placement Assistance support
Certification: Wall Street Prep globally recognized certificate after the exam which the candidate would be eligible to take after 24 months from the date of enrolment.
Course Fees: $499 – INR 41,142.55 (According to the current exchange rate
Contact Us: info@thewallstreet.
3. Corporate Finance Institute
The Corporate Finance Institute (CFI) is a well-known leading provider of online finance education for individual graduates or professionals who are looking forward to building their careers or updating their knowledge & skills in the Finance & Banking Industry. They offer a wide range of professional certification courses which are specifically designed or developed by industry experts according to current financial & banking standards. Established in 2016 by Tim Vipond and Etienne Lemieux with the aim of providing top-notch and high-quality financial education or training programs to every interested individual. Recognizing the demands and constraints of a fast-paced world, CFI self-study courses contribute to delivering a compatible and accessible approach for individuals or professionals who are unable to join live or physical courses but still want to develop or enhance financial skills. These courses allow learners to develop & refine their financial knowledge along with skills at their own pace and convenience. For instance, CFI’s Financial Modeling Self Study program equips participants with essential skills for practical financial analysis and the creation of complex financial models. By focusing on real-world case studies, this course empowers individuals to master the art of financial modeling
Course Name: Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
Course Duration: Average Duration is 4-6 months and depends upon how much time an individual can dedicate to complete the course.
Mode of Study: Online Self Pace
- Seven optional Courses to learn & revise fundamentals of Accounting, Financial Statements, Excel, Corporate Finance, Financial & Corporate Mathematics, Business growth drives or risks and Capital IQ
- Introduction to Business Valuation
- Understanding Financial Analysis
- Accounting Principles & Standards
- Introduction to DCF Valuation Modeling, 3-Statement Modeling and Operation Modeling
- Understanding the Concept of Budgeting & Forecasting
- Learning Scenario & Sensitivity Analysis
- Understanding Dashboard & Data Visualisation
Elective Topics (Any 3):
- Introduction to M&A Modeling
- Startup / e-Commerce Financial Model & Valuation
- Mining or Real Estate Financial Modeling & Valuation
- Learning Amazon Case Study
- Concept of Leveraged Buyout (LBO) Modeling
- Introduction to Renewable Energy – Solar Financial Modeling
- Understanding Corporate & Business Strategy
- Presentation of Financial Statement
- Advanced Exec function & formulas
- Data Analysis in Excel
- Introduction to Regression Analysis – Fundamentals & Practical Applications
- Concept of ESG Integration & Financial Analysis
- A total number of 39 courses are available for learners
- Upto 200+ interactive exercises
- Recorded Lectures are delivered by Industry-Experts
- Industry-driven curriculum
- Comfortable Self-Study Format
- Learning with Real World Case Studies
- Extensive Resource Materials are also available
Certifications: Candidates have to give an exam after the completion of the courses and are required to secure a minimum of 70% marks to earn a certificate. Block-chain certifications are provided to all passed learners. Passed Students can have the facility to order physical certificates which will be delivered to your doorstep.
Course Fees: $497/year – INR 40,967.71 (According to the current exchange rate)
Contact Us: 1-(800)-817-7539, [email protected]
Udemy is a globally famous online learning platform that offers around 210K+ courses in a variety of subjects which helps many individuals to enhance and build their skills or focus on learning something new at their own convenience or comfort. Udemy courses are taught by industry experts who have practical knowledge related to their respective field and what they teach that includes professionals, educators, subject-matter experts, industry practitioners and more who desires to spread their knowledge. Established in 2010 and now become one of the huge largest online learning marketplaces offering teaching on a diversity of topics from business to engineering, technology to medicine, spirituality to personal development, Finance, photographs, marketing and many courses that are available in 75+ languages. The major perks of learning courses from Udemy are that it provides flexibility or comfort in terms of learning style and pace because their courses consist of high-quality recorded lectures, assignments, tasks, quizzes and downloadable resources
Let us discover their Financial Modeling Self Study Courses:
- Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modeling & Valuation
- Financial Modeling for Startup & Small Business
- Financial Modeling in Excel: Masterclass
- Financial Modeling: Build a Complete DCF Model
- Introduction to Financial Modeling for Beginners
- Master Course in Financial Modeling & Financial Analysis
These are some of the popular courses on understanding or learning the concept of Financial Modeling offered by Udemy, However, there are many courses available for Financial Modeling Self Study
Course Duration: The duration of each course can vary according to the course curriculum & how much time an individual can dedicate to complete a specific course.
Mode of Study: Online Self Pace
Curriculum can vary according to different courses however a list of the general curriculum of financial courses by Udemy is mentioned below.
- Introduction to Essentials of Financial Modeling & Excel
- How to make financial models through Excel
- Understanding Financial Modeling Process
- Concept of Financial Reporting
- Understanding the core concept of finance
- Introduction to Financial Mpdeling for Startup
- Concept of Model user growth, revenue, expenses & attrition
- Learn to calculate Net Present Value (NPV)
- Understanding Financial Statements in Detail
- Learn the use of Advanced Excel to Prepare Financial Models
- Learning building Cash Flow Statements
- Building Valuation Model from Scratch
- Performing Sensitivity Analysis
- Learn how to create multiple business models with a variety of scenarios
- Discount Cash Flow Valuation Model
- Udemy offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if individuals don’t like the course
- Lifetime access to the courses
- Industry-Expert instructors
- Provide community interactions
- Affordable course prices
- Course available in 75+ languages
Certification: Globally recognized certificates rewarded by Udemy after the completion of courses.
Course Fees: The course fees depend upon the financial modeling course an individual may choose to learn. You can visit https://www.udemy.com/topic/financial-modeling/ to ascertain the current fee structure. Udemy also gives offers regularly in which you can get huge discounts.
Contact Us: instructorsupport@udemy.
- Financial Modeling Skills
- Is Financial Modeling A Good Career Option
- Investment Banking Financial Modeling
- Financial Modeling Interview Questions
- Financial Modeling Best Practices
- Financial Modeling Terms
- Financial Modeling Career Path
- Financial Intermediaries
5. LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn is the most renowned professional networking online platform which enables users to create their professional profile and build a network connecting according to their career professional & choice. This platform also helps job seekers to look for job opportunities and schedule interviews directly by applying or through their associated connections. LinkedIn acquired formally known as Lynda.com a platform that offers a wide range of high-quality educational courses in 2015 and named that platform LinkedIn Learning. Now LinkedIn learning enhances the experience of courses providing a diverse collection of courses including technology, computer, business, banking, finance, personal development, leadership and more which are taught by leading industry experts along with experienced instructors. Their courses are designed in a way that every individual can access the content from anywhere through any device with an internet connection. Their Financial Modeling Self Study Course offered a valuable resource for individuals who are looking to improve and learn financial modeling skills. This course is designed to provide a comprehensive and flexible learning experience, allowing participants to study at their own pace and convenience.
Financial Modelinf Self Study Courses by LinkedIn Learning:
- Financial Modeling Foundations
- Financial Modeling & Forecasting Financial Statements
- Corporate Finance: Robust Financial Modeling
These are top courses which support the Financial Modeling Self Study offered by LinkedIn Learning.
Course Duration: The duration of each course on Financial Modeling provided by LinkedIn Learning depends upon the course curriculum & how much time an individual can dedicate to complete a specific course. The course’s time may range from 40 minutes to 3 hours of recorded lecture
Mode of Study: Online Self Pace
- Introduction to Financial Modeling Basic
- Importance of Financial Modeling
- Types of Financial Modeling
- Use of Excel in Financial Modeling
- Concept of Financial Forecast & Loans
- Constructing a Forecasted Financial Statement including Income Statement, Balance Sheet & Cash Flow
- Understanding Investment decision
- Valuation Techniques
- Advanced Excel in Financial Modeling
- Scenario & Sensitivity Analysis
- The Process of Building a Robust Financial Model
- Flexible & comprehensive learning experience with a self-study program
- Industry-expert professionals or instructors
- Integration with LinkedIn profile
- Feature to access on Desktop, Laptop, Mobile, Tablet or Tv
- A project file with each course
- Chapter quizzes to track your learning
Certification: After the completion of courses Learned receives the completion of courses certificate by LinkedIn Learning that recognizes globally.
Course Fees: There are no course fees instead you have to buy a paid subscription to LinkedIn Learning required which enables you to access Financial Modeling Self Study Course along with many other courses. Annual Subscription costs around INR 762.71/month with 1 month of Trial Period whereas a monthly subscription costs around 1610.17/month with 1 month of trial period.
Contact Us: Live Chat Support, https://www.linkedin.com/help/learning/ask
The demand for Financial Modeling courses is raising rapidly due advancement of technology in the finance industry. In this article, we explore financial modeling self study courses which help individuals or professionals in multiple ways. These courses serve as a valuable tool which promotes learning or developing new skills either upgrading inherent ones. I hope & believe that the list of financial modeling self study courses I provided would help individuals or professionals to choose their institutes according to their needs and requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Is certification provided in Financial Modeling Self Study courses?
Answer: Yes, many famous and genuine institutions are offering top-graded Financial Modeling Self Study courses with globally recognized certifications.
Question: Can I get a job placement or career advancement opportunity after completing Financial Modeling Self Study courses?
Answer: Mant institution offered a comprehensive curriculum in Financial Modeling Self Study programs with job placement assistance along with career advancement opportunities. Individuals after completing their course in Financial Modeling with learning efficiency can develop the required knowledge and skills which help individuals in securing a job in the finance industry or professionals get rewarded in the form of job promotion.
Question: Is learning Financial Modeling a difficult task?
Answer: Professionals who are experts in building financial models face multiple challenges and obstacles. So learning financial modelling is a complex and difficult task. You have to give your effort and time to become an expert in financial modeling. However, the learning of financial modeling also depends upon individual learning capabilities and the power of grasping or processing knowledge.