Top 6 Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners
In today’s business era, companies are growing and evolving rapidly. To estimate the financial performance of a business, keeping in mind all the relevant factors, including growth and risk assumptions, financial modeling plays a vital role. It is a summary of the company’s revenue and expenditure in the form of a spreadsheet that helps in decision-making for the future. A financial model is a simplified representation of a company’s past performance and likely future results. We’ll talk about the finest Financial Modeling courses for beginners, but first, it’s vital to comprehend the notion of financial modeling.
What is a Financial Model? (A beginner-friendly explanation)
A financial model is a tool in form of a spreadsheet (often built-in MS Excel) that offers a company/business a fair estimate of the company’s finance, likely on current and previous data. For example, if a company’s financial modeler wants to forecast sales growth for the future quarter, he will do so using current and prior quarter sales growth. This allows the company’s future sales growth to be forecasted.
Although the above example was based on real-life scenarios, it is the most basic financial model. Various financial models are created for different goals. A financial model that illustrates the company’s potential growth will be of interest to a stock investor, whereas a comparison among competitors will require a different financial model.
As financial models are created from the financial statements of the company, they most often generate results for a month, quarter, or year. Furthermore, if one wishes to build a career in financial modeling, as a beginner he/she is highly recommended to enroll in a Financial Modeling course. This article includes a list of the finest financial modeling courses for beginners.
Financial Modeling is growing around the globe. The necessity of financial modeling is escalating as the structure of businesses is becoming more complex, uncertain, and likely unpredictable. Financial modeling is thought to have a bright future and is quickly becoming a must-have ability in today’s business scenario.
Starting with Financial Modeling courses for beginners at a reputable institution, enrolling in an online course is the best approach to getting started in the field of financial modeling. It’s a good program that will help you understand the following topics better.
Why Is Financial Modeling an Important Tool?
The following are some of the reasons why financial modeling is useful for businesses/organizations:-
- For Risk Management
- For Mergers and Acquisitions
- For Budgeting and Forecasting
- For valuation of the company
- For Raising Capital and Capital Allocation
- For Valuation of Assets
Why is Financial Modeling Course Important?
Have you ever questioned what a financial modeling course is all about? What is its purpose? Are there financial modeling courses for beginners? What is the purpose of an FM course, and is it worthwhile to invest time and money in one? I’m sure questions like these have crossed your mind. To find the answers to all of the questions above, you must be curious.
Before we proceed further, we have one more question for you. Do you realize that financial modeling is an important skill to have if you want to pursue a career in finance? A financial modeling course will help you in discovering and capitalizing on chances for better revenues, improved financial strategies, and lower operating costs.
Why Should You Enroll in a Financial Modeling Course?
- Financial modeling courses for beginners help fresh BCom, BBA, and MBA graduates to become the next certified Financial Modelers who are looking to get a break in the corporate sphere.
- Due to the expanding and never-ending business culture, Financial modeling has become the most promising career path for finance enthusiasts.
- Financial modeling training will prepare you to develop financial models in form of spreadsheets. This is done with the help of mathematical formulae, finance, accounting, and business metrics.
Career Opportunities After Doing a Financial Modeling Course
All work prospects available after completing the Financial Modeling course are primarily in the finance area. A candidate can begin working in businesses such as stock research firms, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and private finance firms.
Job Roles After Successful Completion of the Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners:-
- Equity Research Analyst
An equity research analyst assists investors in making the right investment choices by providing comprehensive financial analyses. An Equity Research Analyst’s job is in high demand in the job market, and the individual must be proficient in accounting, finance, and Excel.
- Financial Analyst and Managing Directors
A financial analyst assesses the performance of stocks, bonds, and other types of investments and advises a company on how to invest appropriately. A Financial Analyst is in charge of doing a complete study of the organization’s financial operations, determining whether it is reaching its financial goals, and developing a long-term strategy that benefits the company.
- Investment Banking Analyst
An Investment Banking Analyst does extensive research into the investment prospects accessible in the market for his/her customers. Some of the fundamental skills required in this job include research, analytical, and problem-solving abilities. An Investment Banker is heavily involved in acquisitions, mergers, IPOs, and other financial transactions, he must be an expert in financial modeling.
What Factors to Consider Before Enrolling in a Financial Modeling Course?
The goal of a course should be to assist candidates in becoming industry-ready, including interview preparation and adequate counseling in landing their first corporate position. The courses are ranked based on the following factors.
- Real Corporate World Exposure — Companies demand that candidates should be fully prepared as soon as they hit the job. When selecting courses for these lists, I seek plenty of real-world case studies and practical projects. This will help you with practical implementations of theoretical principles.
- Helps in Building Brand Value in the Competitive World- These Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners(as well as advance certifications) have been hand-picked to help you raise your portfolio the most. Job markets are highly competitive and you need to be ready to cross all hurdles and land your dream job.
Salary After Doing a Financial Modeling Course
|Experience||0-1 year||1-4 years||5-9 years||10-19 years|
|Salary (INR)||4-5 lakhs||5-7 lakhs||10-12 lakhs||20 lakhs|
List of Top 6 Financial Modeling Courses For Beginners
A variety of institutions provide financial modeling courses for beginners; nonetheless, it is critical to choose the best among them. Here is a list of the top 6 financial modeling courses for beginners, among which you can choose one.
1. IIM SKILLS
IIM Skills is a provider of multiple skill development courses that immensely help people around the world to learn advanced concepts in a simple and coherent manner. If you are a beginner then IIM Skills financial modeling course is the best suit for you as the entire program is designed to assist the learners from the very beginning to the majors. It is a place where students end up gaining too much confidence along with a high level of expertise in whichever domain they apply. It is one of the best financial modeling courses for beginners.
|Module 1 – Basic and Advanced Excel (8-10 hours)|
Module 2 – Accounting Concepts and Financial Statements (5-7 hours)
|Module 3 – Ratio/KPI Analysis (4-6 hours)|
Module 4 – Basics of Financial Modeling (4 hours)
|Module 5 – Different Types of Financial Models (12-15 hours)||• LBO Model|
• M&A Model
• Private Equity Return Model
• 13 Week Cash Flow Model
|Module 6 – Business Valuation (7-9 hours)||• Relative Valuation – Trading and Transaction Comps|
• DCF Valuation
• NAV Approach for Valuation
Financial Modeling Course Highlights
1. The entire program is conducted via zoom where anyone can directly interact with the trainers to clear their doubts at the given point.
2. Their financial modeling course curriculum entails a number of subjects. You will learn all the important concepts, from Excel to forecasting.
3. You will learn different types of models and how to use them for analysis.
4. Personalized guidance is one of the reasons people choose IIM Skills for their personal development.
5. The assignments are again the main objective of the IIM Skills training program that makes the students keen on learning.
6. Once you enroll in the program, you get access to all the updated sessions for a lifetime through the LMS.
- Interactive sessions
- Lifetime support
- Internship opportunity
- Government-recognized certification
Professional Courses from IIM SKILLS
- Digital Marketing Course
- SEO Course
- Technical Writing Course
- GST Course
- Content Writing Course
- Business Accounting And Taxation Course
- CAT Coaching
- Investment Banking Course
Duration: 3 Months
Contact: +919580740740, [email protected]
2. Certified Financial Modeling and Valuation Analyst (FMVA)- By CFI
CFI’s FMVA course is unquestionably one of the most comprehensive financial modeling courses available. The CFI’s sole objective is to train novices towards becoming financial analysts. This program will not only train you in financial modeling but will also monitor your progress.
Once you pass the final exam, you will receive your course certification. Instructors with over 21 years of financial analyst training experience have devised this program. They’ve taught financial experts at some of the world’s most prestigious banks and institutions.
1. This course is a self-paced online course.
2. In this program, you will learn the core concepts of accounting, finance, financial analysis, and spreadsheets. You will also understand all of the principles associated with presentations, charts, and graphs.
3. Once you enroll in the course you will get lifetime access to the following:-
- Six extra preparatory courses to help you brush up on the fundamentals of financial modeling
- Eleven essential financial modeling and valuation courses.
- There are nine finance electives available.
4. This course is estimated to take roughly six months to finish, though this will vary from person to person as it’s self-paced.
5. All course participants will have access to recorded video lectures, application activities, quizzes, and evaluations.
6. You must earn a grade of at least 80% on each course assessment and pass a final exam to earn the FMVA Certification.
7. The cost of this course rises to $847 if you want more resources and support. This version includes a six-month data user account, more case studies, weekly individual feedback on your financial models from expert financial analysts, a monthly holistic evaluation of your resume and cover letters, and more.
- CFI is a reputed institution
- Lifetime access to all study material and video lectures.
- Earn a Certification post completion of the course.
- The cost of this course rises to $847 if you want more resources and live assistance. This appears to be a costly deal.
- You require a minimum of 6 months to complete the course and you can avail of the certificate only if you pass the final exam with 80 percent marks
The Corporate Finance Institute(CFI) is a prominent provider of online financial modeling and business valuation courses throughout the world. As a beginner, you can enroll in their course as they provide Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners. Once you’ve mastered the basics, this course will progress to the advanced level.
Duration: 6 months
Price: Ranging from $497 to $847( INR 38,247 to INR 65,180)
Recommended Read: Financial Modeling Courses in India
- Business and Financial Modeling Specialization by Wharton
Through Coursera, Wharton provides a business and financial modeling course that teaches students how to make financial decisions using data. Students learn how to design scenarios, anticipate future performance, and build a model using a case study. This course is offered by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
It provides an introduction to spreadsheet models, modeling methodologies, common investment analysis, company valuation, forecasting, and other applications. It teaches learners about spreadsheets that help estimate performance, and make informed business and financial decisions.
1. This course requires no prior knowledge of finance and mathematics. It is Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners.
2. You’ll have access to five financial modeling courses that will take you from beginner to advanced level.
3. The entire program may take six months to complete, but it could take less or more time depending on your availability and how quickly you want to complete it.
4. Videos and readings, practice tests, graded assignments with peer feedback, graded quizzes with feedback, and other graded tasks are all part of the course contents.
5. You will avail a certificate of completion at the end of each of the 5 courses.
- It is a self-paced course.
- It’s a beginner-friendly course. All concepts are taught from the basics.
- You will receive a certificate upon completion of the course and boost your CV.
You need to have a monthly subscription to Coursera to continue the course
Duration: Approx 6 months
Price: $39 per month(INR 3000/ month)
- Business Statistics and Analysis Specialization by Rice
This specialization has four courses and a capstone project that helps learners gain essential theoretical and practical knowledge in data analysis and modeling for business applications utilizing Excel spreadsheets. No prior knowledge or expertise is required because the specialization is at an introductory level.
It is appropriate for those with little or limited functional knowledge of Excel, as well as those who use Excel regularly but only in a peripheral capacity and want to improve their skills. Students must have Microsoft Excel 2010 or later installed on their computers to complete course assignments.
1. Learners will master core spreadsheet functions, develop descriptive business data measurements, and develop an aptitude for data modeling.
2. Basic probability concepts, such as measuring and estimating uncertainty, employing diverse data distributions, and the Linear Regression Model to assess and advise business decisions, are also covered in this specialization’s courses.
3. Participants gain hands-on experience with skills such as core data analysis tools, Excel spreadsheet tools, and numerous corporate statistical tools.
4. You’ll undertake a capstone project in which you’ll apply what you’ve learned to a real-world challenge.
- Certificate of completion
- Self-paced with a flexible schedule
- This is a financial modeling course for beginners
- Capstone Project
- It takes approx 5-6 months to complete this course
Duration: Approx 5 months
Price: INR 3000/month
4. Introduction to Financial Modeling by Udemy
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and was launched in 2009. With over 175,000 courses and 46 million learners, the firm is one of the most popular online learning markets in the world. Introduction to financial modeling by Udemy is an ideal course for anyone who wishes to learn how the fundamentals of Excel can be applied practically in real business world scenarios.
The course content is well-designed and simple to comprehend. Quizzes, exercises, understandable demonstrations, and case studies based on real-life circumstances abound.
- You do not require any prior knowledge to begin with this course.
- Learn the fundamentals of spreadsheets, cash flows, and valuation statements.
- The course content is regularly updated
- The course is discounted at a very minimal price.
- Udemy is a well-reputed online education platform.
- The program is self-paced.
- Certificate of completion.
- Lifetime access to the course material.
- Personal assistance is not available.
- Additional study material is not available.
Duration: 6 hours of on-demand video
Price: INR 799
5. Financial Modeling Foundation Course by Linkedin Learning
If you’re a newbie in financial modeling, LinkedIn Learning’s online Financial Modeling Foundations course is the right place to start. This course will teach you how to use Microsoft Excel to create financial models that may be used in a variety of careers such as commercial banking, investment banking, and corporate finance.
The course is divided into eight modules, each of which has a fair mix of theoretical concepts and practical knowledge. Throughout the course, a variety of exercises empower learners with a practical understanding of the important topics. You’ll need to enroll in a LinkedIn Learning subscription, which runs from $19.99 per month to $29.99 per month. When you sign up for a membership to LinkedIn Learning, you can get a free seven-day trial.
- Learn the techniques to build a financial model in MS Excel.
- Learn to analyze and evaluate the data present in a Financial Model.
- Learn to create business forecasts using financial models.
- Only one month of access to the course material.
- Pocket-friendly course fee.
- Access to downloadable course materials.
- Personal assistance is not available.
- A subscription is required to access the course.
Duration: 3.5 hours of on-demand video
Price: LinkedIn subscription
Recommended Read: Business Accounting and Taxation Courses in India
6. Wall Street Prep Financial Modeling Premium Package
This self-study training course is designed for professionals who want to enhance their skills in the finance industry. Participants must have a basic understanding of accounting, corporate finance, and Microsoft Excel before taking the course. This self-paced course covers valuation modeling, corporate finance, investment banking model, and financial statements.
The Wall Street Financial Modeling Premium Package comprises 6 main modules namely DCF Modeling, LBO Modeling, Accretion Dilution (M&A) Modeling, Trading Comps Modeling, and Transaction Comps Modeling.
- The course integrates real-world examples along with academic training.
- Wall Street Prep’s Online Support Center is available for the entire year.
- Free downloadable material is available.
- Investment Banking Training in the Real World is provided.
- The course is self-paced.
- Certification of completion will be given on completion of the course.
- Wall Street Prep is a CFA-approved professional course provider.
- Personal guidance in this course is available for one year only
Duration: 70-90 house on-demand video
Price: $499 ( INR 38,631)
Frequently Asked Questions for Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners
Q1 Is financial modeling a good career option?
The answer to this question is a Big Yes! In today’s business world, when organizations rely on data science to design financial models and predict future trends, financial modeling skills are in high demand. It is considerably distinct from typical accounting and auditing occupations in that it offers a lot of scope in many finance-related segments.
Q2 What should be my prior knowledge before enrolling in a financial modeling course?
Following are some important points of consideration before you enroll in Financial Modeling courses for beginners:-
- The ability to condense enormous amounts of information into a simple manner.
- A rational foundation for tackling problems.
- Have a basic knowledge of Ms excel.
- Have in-depth knowledge of finance and accounting otherwise, the course will be a cumbersome task for you.
- Basic knowledge of mathematics and business metrics.
Q3 What are the top three Financial Models?
Although most Financial Models are important from a business point of view, the top 3 financial models are as follows:-
- Initial Public Offering (IPO) model
- Merger and acquisition (M & A) model
- Forecasting Model
Q4 How fast can one learn financial modeling?
This is a generic question. It depends on person to person how fast their learning and grasping power is. However, the minimum time required to learn the fundamentals of Financial Modeling is 30 to 40 days on average. Financial modeling training is required to understand the drivers and consequences of organizational decisions.
Q5 Is Financial Modeling Difficult?
It requires more work to learn financial modeling as compared to learning other skills. Understanding the nature of correlations between various financial variables that eventually build up to financial statements is tough.
Q6 How to choose one of the best Financial Modeling Courses for Beginners?
Financial Modeling is an on-demand skill in the job market of today’s business scenario. Any finance enthusiast who wishes to build a career in this field always has this question in mind which financial modeling course will be best for him/her as a beginner.
To solve your problem we looked into the 6 best courses given by individuals and institutes to find the finest online financial modeling courses. We examined each course based on its cost, requirements, course content, program length, and available assistance to narrow down the list. Programs that were only offered on specific dates and were scheduled less frequently than once a month were eliminated, as most individuals looking into online courses require scheduling flexibility.