Top 4 Institutes Providing Corporate Financial Modeling Course
Wondering what Corporate Financial Modeling means or how could you be a corporate financial modeler? Well, we have got you covered. It is normal to have confusion when one is flooded with a lot of pieces of information and suggestions. Finance is itself a critical field, so it’s not worth taking stress before even entering the field, right! We all want to be good in our professional field. So, get ready to start a great professional career! Grab some coffee and read this article to get some knowledge regarding finance.
Meaning of Corporate Financial Modeling
Have you heard people asking what corporate financial modeling means? To be put in simple words, it is modeling for a big company or firm. The basic meaning of corporate is nothing but a big firm. Financial modeling is a critical and very important area involved in the proper functioning of a company.
As a financial modeler, you will use MS Excel on a regular basis. The spreadsheets will be used by you to enter various monetary transactions as the profits gained, losses incurred, new market policies changed taxation policies introduced by the government, investments that can be made, etc. Spreadsheets will help you to make calculations on the sheet itself and while presenting the records, even the calculations remain visible.
Corporate Financial Modeling is the process where there is a constant recording and entering of financial data of a big company. Because it is a big company, larger transactions and turnovers are expected. Thus corporate financial modeling is a work that is critical in nature due to the huge amounts of monetary data that has to be entered.
Skills Needed to Excel In Corporate Financial Modeling
- Proficient in MS Excel: This is the most important skill that you must possess or get used to. All the work you will be required to do as a person working in the financial department will involve the usage of excel. Each industry has some specific tools that they use particularly for their work. For example, a doctor will always carry a stethoscope with them. Similarly, as a financial modeler, you must be highly efficient in using excel. It is an intrinsic part of your profession.
- Analytical Mind: Analytical means a systematic way of life. By analytical mind, we mean a person who is organized and systematic in their way of work. Since financial modeling is a work that would require the constant and active participation of your mind, you would be required to be attentive to the new monetary changes, proper recording of data, and not miss out on any form of transaction.
- Efficiency in Calculations: Calculations are part and parcel of this department. As an employee working in the finance industry, you are required to perform various kinds of calculations which can be simple or critical in nature. Though the calculations are done on spreadsheets, still you would be required to know the mechanisms.
- Attention to every detail: As a financial modeler, paying attention to every minute detail is part of your job. The data you receive due to the financial transactions are not always in the same format. Each data needs to be converted into a comprehensible format and then be entered. Also one of your most important works is to see that you do not miss out on entering certain important transactions. It is found a lot of times, that when 20 transactions have taken over at different times, a person misses out on entering a certain transaction. You need to pay attention to these details.
- Calm Mind: Keeping a calm mind is required in every place of work. But when you are in the finance sector which is a stressful area of work, a calm mind becomes even more necessary. Multiple kinds of situations arise that need to be dealt with in different ways. A calm mind will help you to come up with better ideas and suggestions. Extreme stress will lead you to chaotic conclusions which will ultimately harm your company and you.
Also read: Financial Modeling Course Eligibility
Scope of Doing a Corporate Financial Modeling Course
Why do you think there is such a rise in the number of skill-based courses? Because times have changed. Along with the internet and technological rise, the outlook of people and society has changed. While earlier it was your knowledge which was precisely theoretical that was valued, today it is the practical skills that you possess that are more valued. A company does not want to spend a large amount of time training its new employees on the skills and tools that are used there.
A new employee is expected to possess these skills before joining work. A financial modeling course will give you a complete overview of the fine details of how this industry functions. The tools and techniques used in the field of finance will be taught to you. Practical sessions would be held for you. So each new concept learned by you will be backed by practical training. The skill-oriented assignments that will be given should be completed as the sole motive of these assignments are to increase your efficiency.
A corporate financial modeling course will provide you with a course completion certificate in the end. This type of skill-specific course completion certificate is highly valued in the field of work especially when you are a fresher. Also the exposure you receive from such a course can help you ace the interview round. Your knowledge would be a lot more than any other fresher with no practical exposure. So, if you want to give a boost to your resume and see a shining career ahead, go for this course.
You may like to read: Is Financial Modeling a Good Career
Institutes Offering a Corporate Financial Modeling Course
1. IIM Skills
IIM Skills has gained the reputation of one of the most reliable institutes which are trusted by students all over the world. It is not a very old institute having been founded in the year 2015. But the reputation it has gained within this short span of time has led to it being considered one of the best online educational platforms today. With an array of practical new-age courses, the institute has been highly successful in achieving its student’s trust.
The courses provided by the institute are practical-oriented with experienced trainers who have knowledge about the latest developments in the industry. The financial modeling course provided by IIM Skills is a professional course that aims to make you self-reliable and efficient in your field of work.
Course: Financial Modeling Course
Duration: 3 to 4 months
Mode: Live Virtual Class
Fees: INR 49,990
- Basic and Advanced Excel
- Introduction and understanding of the Ribbon
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Regular use functions- Vlookup, Index, etc
- Rules of Conditional Formatting
- Data Validation
- Table functions
- Pivot tables, Pivot Charts, and Slicers
- Different types of charts and graphs
- Sensitivity analysis
- Delimit and Flash Fill
- Return functions
- What-If analysis
- Accounting Concepts and Financial Statements
- Key Accounting Fundamental concepts
- Concepts of keyline items
- Concept of comprehensive Income
- Relevance of Notes
- Preparing common size financial statements
- Reading of Annual Report
- Ratio/KPI Analysis
- Types of Ratios
- Activity Ratios
- Liquidity Ratios
- Solvency Ratios
- Profitability Ratios
- DuPont formula
- Valuation Ratios
- Basic and diluted EPS
- Financial Summary
- Basics of Financial Modeling
- Structure for a financial model
- Creating Scenarios
- Building Revenue
- Preparing different schedules
- Projecting financial statements
- Error tracking skills
- Formatting tips
- Addition of cover page
- LBO Model
- Three-Statement Projection Model
- M&A Model
- Private Equity Return Model
- 13 Week Cash Flow Model
- Business Valuation
- Relative Valuation
- DCF Valuation
- NAV Approach
- Football field analysis
- Valuation Output
- Valuation Report
- Pre-money and Post-money valuation
Benefits of doing this course:
- As a student of this institute, you will get lifetime access to the LMS. While you are doing the course, all the study materials, assignments, class recordings, added videos, etc will be uploaded here. The fun fact is that you can come back to these materials anytime post-completion of the course. Even after 10 years, you can access the materials. And whenever a new topic is introduced as well as the recordings of the other sessions will be constantly uploaded and updated.
- Considered a trustworthy institute, the certificate you will receive will have worldwide recognition. Any company or firm you apply for cannot deny the worth of this certificate. Also, this certificate is not handed over to you just like that. You need to give a test designed by the trainers and only upon passing the test successfully, will you receive this certificate.
- A professional course is always done by students when they have a work-motive working within them. The institute values and respects this viewpoint and thus provides you with internship opportunities. Along with the internship opportunities, you will be given placement assistance and a guaranteed interview opportunity.
- The online mode of the course is extremely beneficial and helpful for students as well as job workers. The online classes promote flexible timings and a student-friendly approach. Based on your convenience you can choose the time and day of the week when you want to do the class.
- You can expect a fast reply from the institute’s side regarding any query. Email is the most preferred format of doubt-clearing. Whether you have course-related queries or doubts regarding a particular topic, you can always write an email to them. A quick response is always found from its side.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +91 9911839503
Other Courses Offered By IIM Skills
2. Grant Thornton Academy
The institute has been known for offering some of the best courses in recent times. The financial modeling course provided by it is a great course meant for students as well as working professionals. The core area of training is the practical knowledge of the theories and concepts the students are familiar with. As a skill-based course, case studies are used to train you about real industrial situations, crises, and solutions.
Course: Certificate in Financial Modeling and Valuation Online Live
Duration: 70 hours of study
Mode: Live Online Class
Fees: INR 30,000+tax
- MS Excel
- Financial Modeling Template
- String Function and Offset Function
- Goal Seek
- Basic Business Model
- Financial Statements
- Historical Statements
- Financial Data
- Project Valuation
- Modeling Delays
- Circular Logic and Looping
- EPC Schedule
- CAPEX Schedule
- Asset Schedule
- GANTT Chart
- M&A- Introduction, Evaluation, and Analysis
Benefits of doing this course:
- The institute believes in a systemic method of learning. Hence before learning new concepts, tools, and techniques, you will be given a session that would involve the refreshment of all previously learned excel functions. This refreshing of already learned concepts will help you to accumulate new information faster. During this session, you will be told about the string function, offset function, data table, linking of multiple sheets, etc.
- The course will give you a detailed idea about financial data. How data is collected and structured as well as the public and private data sources. You will also be guided about the preliminary methods that can be used to scrutinize and analyze the data and the information received.
- The duration of the course is further divided into two different methods used to teach you. In the 70 hours of study, you will receive 40 hours of an instructor-led live session, and the remaining 30 hours would include recorded videos and additional case studies. Hence there is a balance in the student-instructor relationship.
- Through the course, you will be undergoing extensive training on the various aspects of this industry. By the end of this course, you will learn to create revenue and expense models for industries like modern retail, consumer goods, etc.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +91 78380 00185
3. ProSchool Online
One of the most famous and leading institutes in the country today, the institute was established with the sole motive of producing a highly-efficient workforce in the country. A huge number of courses are provided by this institute. The courses are related to the field of finance, accounts, and digital marketing. The online courses are structured and designed in a way so that they can provide you with a holistic knowledge base but at the same time not over-burdening you with information.
Course: Financial Modeling
Duration: 3 months
Mode: Live Virtual Classes OR Classroom sessions OR Self-Paced
Fees: INR 40,000 (Classroom sessions); INR 32,000 (Live online classes); INR 20,000 (Self-paced)
- Problem Identification and Solving Approach
- Descriptive Statistics
- Excel functions and financial math
- Storytelling with Data
- Income Statements
- Balance Sheets
- Cash Flow
- Ratio Analysis
- Time Value of Money
- Cost of Capital
- Source of Capital
- Project Finance
- Manufacturing Project Creation
- Build a Service Project
- Project with Tax Implications
- Evaluation of a Project
- Sourcing Historical Data
- Forecasting Costs and Revenues
- DCF and Relative Valuation
Benefits of doing this course:
- The certificate received from this institute is considered to be highly prestigious. Once you complete the 3 months course, you will become eligible for the NSDC and Proschool certificates. You can also register for an NSE certificate for which you need to give an exam and pass it to be certified by NSE.
- The classroom sessions of this course are spread over some of the major Indian cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Kochi, Chennai, etc. The live virtual classes can be done by anyone from any part of the world. The institute also has self-paced classes where you can enroll for this course and finish it at your own pace.
- The course is delivered by industry experts who are well aware of the current trends in the market. They are also acquainted with the tools and techniques used in the industry along with the sufficient experience needed to efficiently train and guide students.
- The active learning methodology is uptaken so that the constant interactions will help clear all kinds of doubts and also give a boost to the self-confidence of the student.
Email: [email protected]
One of the most well-heard institutes providing short-term courses to students, Udemy is a great online platform. Catering to the needs of students from all over the world, different kinds of courses with different types of formats and syllabi are available. Anyone can avail of the benefits of these courses simply by enrolling in them. Even in a financial modeling course, there are several variations. Almost 6 types of financial modeling courses are available to help you.
Course: Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modeling and Valuation
Duration: 15 hours
Mode: Online Course
Fees: INR 3,499
- Introduction to Excel and Financial Modeling
- Tools to be used for Excel
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Key Functions of Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel
- Pivot Tables in depth
- Case studies
- Introduction to Excel Charts
Benefits of doing this course:
- Along with 15 hours of video learning, you will receive 9 articles that will help you gain a better insight into excel and financial modeling. You will also be exposed to 621 downloadable resources for your e-learning.
- Lifetime access would be granted to you once you enroll for this course along with a course completion certificate.
- The course is highly-economical in nature where the fees are kept reasonable so that students can at least gain a piece of basic knowledge about financial modeling and excel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the scope of doing a corporate financial modeling course?
In a modern competitive society, companies do not give time to freshers to develop their skills. You either know the techniques or you do not know. In such a situation, being a complete fresher with just a traditional degree certificate will not give your resume a good boost. An interviewer will search for a professional skill that you possess.
Many a time, a resume is overlooked due to the lack of any professional skills. A course on financial modeling will provide you with a certificate. This certificate acts as an assurance to the interviewer about the skills that you possess. We all are after all looking for a good job. Doing this course is going to light up your CV and give a boost to your career.
Q2. What is the average duration of doing a financial modeling course?
A financial modeling course usually takes 2 to 4 months, to be completed. Based on the institute and the syllabus covered, the time or duration of the course is decided. An online course can be of just a few hours also. So, the duration of such a course is institute-specific and it is highly recommended to contact the institute before enrolling for this course.
Q3. Can I do the corporate financial modeling course while doing a job?
Yes. Most of the institutes provide this course in an online mode. Online mode enables you to do this course from any place without any physical limits attached. Also, all the institutes offer flexible timings. So if you are a working professional who has to attend the office in the morning, you can request for or attend the classes scheduled at night.
If you are someone who wants to attend a classroom session, then you can go for the weekend classes. Some of the institutes offering classroom sessions have weekdays and weekend classes. So while you work all week, you can go to these special classes on the weekends. Thus, all kinds of timings and schedules are arranged by the institutes. So, you can be a student or a working professional and accordingly the timings are arranged.
Did all this information overwhelm you? Don’t worry! It is natural to get confused when you are about to start working. To ease up this tension and stress, you are advised to go through the details of each of the institutes and the course they provide. Once the process syncs in, it will become easier for you to decide upon the course and the field you want to enter.
While the idea of starting a professional life can seem scary, you have to understand that we all start somewhere. What is important in such a situation is to keep trusting yourself. I hope you like reading this article. For now, just think over the course and get yourself enrolled in a corporate financial modeling course to kick-start your career immediately.