Optometry Course: Syllabus, Top Colleges, and Career
Are you confused about your career? What course should you join after the 12th to boost your professional knowledge and give a better career option? Optometry course is one of the most demanding courses today and may also in the future.
So, you can go into the optometry profession and make a good living.
What is Optometry?
Optometry is a visual and eye care profession. They are related to research and studied of visual care, lenses, eye illness, and their safety.
In India generally, optometry course is divided into three categories.
- Degree courses like Bachelor of optometry(B.Optom ) and BSc in optometry
- Diploma courses called D. Optom
- Certificate courses in optometry
We will discuss all the types of optometry courses in detail one by one.
Learn how to write SEO- friendly content with the Best Content Writing Course.
Bachelor of Optometry
Bachelor of optometry is a 4-year undergraduate course in the medical and healthcare sector. They provide eye and vision care, diagnosis of disease, and visual system. B.Optom course in India has been designed to train and qualify the students in the aspects of refractive conditions of the human eye care, visual diseases, and other problems with the human eye.
The course has been divided into two parts. The first part has three years of education and the second part is one year of internship to provide students with practical knowledge in this field. In this course, students learn about the different types of vision and optical systems.
Students also learn about the manufacturing and production of opticals such as contact lenses, spectacles, etc. Those who complete this course are eligible to diagnose diseases related to eyes and vision.
Learn web development at WordPress with the Best Digital Marketing Course in India
Eligibility Criteria for B.Optom
- Minimum qualification required 12th with Chemistry, Biology, and Physics
- Minimum 45% marks required for admission in 12th class
- Age limit minimum 17 years
B.Optom Admission Process
There are different ways for admission in Bachelor of optometry in universities and colleges. Some take admission on their 12th marks and some colleges take admission on a test basis.
Many Colleges and Universities take direct admission. They required XII class marks for admission in bachelor of optometry. This process is followed generally by private colleges. But tuition fees are very high in these colleges compared to government colleges.
Read our article Top 11 Digital Marketing Courses in Greece
Entrance exam based process for Admission in B.Optom
The second process for admission in an optometry course is entrance exam based. In this process, universities and colleges take admission on basis of special tests conducted by these authorities. Some entrance exam for the B.Optom course
- AIIMS exam
- JNU entrance exam
- DU entrance exam
Course fee for B.Optom
The course fee depends from university to university and state to state. In government colleges and universities generally, the fee is 1000 to 10000 for the total course.
In private colleges this is high. It is estimated 200000 to 400000 lac for the total course.
You may be curious to know about the Top 10 Digital Marketing Courses in the UK
Syllabus for Bachelor of optometry
- Ocular Anatomy and Physiology
- Physiology and human anatomy
- basic biochemistry
- Physical optics
- Ophthalmic optics
- Ocular microbiology
- Geometric optics
- Ocular Microbiology and ocular Pharmacology
Second-year syllabus for optometry course
- Opticianry investigation
- Optic suspension dispensation
- Visual optics
- Diseases and illness of the eye
- Advance refraction and clinical
- Clinical examination for the visual system
- Fundamentals for computer
Third-year syllabus for optometry course
- Nutrition, Optom community optometrist, and public
- contact lenses
- Illness of the eyes and diseases
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Binocular vision ocular motility
- Mechanical optics
It is dedicated to internship and training which gives practical knowledge for petitioners
Employment opportunities for B. Optom
Opportunities in the optometrist field are good. Increasing eye problems by pollution, unhealthy food, mental stress, lack of physical fitness and smartphone uses. The Bachelor of Opticianry Programme has a great scope. Optometrists are constantly in demand and a good chance in the future also.
- Research sector
- Private hospital
- Practice yourself
- Practice in government departments
- optometrist professional is recruited by scientific research organizations
- Educational sector for teaching purposes
Skills required to be a successful optometrist
- Be confident in their approach with the clients
- A strong human being and willpower to serve others.
- The ability to deal with clients in a good way.
- They should be willing to serve people happily.
- Team management skills and coordinate effectively with other members of the team.
Job Profile for B.Optom
- Medical officer
- Medical coder
- Technical officer
- Assistant professor
Salary for B. Optometrist
optometrist degree and diploma holder’s salary depend on their college and their experience.
Generally, Opticianry degree holders salary around 30000 to 40000 monthly. After some experience that may increase to 100000 lacs around per month.
In government hospitals, the salary of other facilities is also attractive.
Higher Education Opportunities after Bachelor of Optometry
After completing an optometry course, a student can go for higher degree courses to become an expert in their field.
- Master of optometry
- MSc in Opticianry
- PG diploma in ophthalmic Technology MBA and PGDM MBA
- PGDM course includes their professional and managerial skills which increase their corporate sector demand.
Top recruiters for Bachelor of Opticianry degree holders –
- Medanta Hospital
- Apollo Hospitals
- Fortis Hospitals
- EMS Hospital
- Jaypee Hospitals
- Paras hospital
- Asian Hospital
and many more private hospitals are demanding optometrist skilled professionals.
Top Colleges for B.Optom
- AIIMS New, Delhi
- SRM University, Chennai
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- Ansal University, Gurugram
- The Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology is located in Kolkata city.
- Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Ambala
- Amity University, Gurugram
- ITM University, Gwalior
- D Y Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Desh Bhagat University, Gobindgarh
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Vidyapeeth Women’s University, Jaipur
- Government Medical College and Hospital, Surat
- Government Medical College, Nagpur
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University
- All India Management Association
- Ram Murti Smarak University, Bareilly
- Armed Force Medical College, Pune
Nature of Jobs
- Do vision tests and report
- Diagnose the site problems and eye diseases
- Guide patients about their eye problem, lens, and spectacles for the clients
- Assist with ophthalmologists doctor in minor surgical procedures to correct and treat eye health issues
- Vision therapy exercises and vision rehabilitation care.
- Patients who have undergone eye surgeries take care of them
- Consult with patients about their eyes and general health.
BSc in Opticianry
It is a four-year UG course, the first three years are dedicated to the theoretical aspect and the last 1 year is to the internship. The internship is compulsory for every degree holder. This course is also like a B.Optom or bachelor of Opticianry and all eligibility criteria and admission process is almost similar to the Bachelor of Optometry course.
The Bachelor of Science degree in optometrists provides training and medical knowledge about the human eye. This course will teach how to operate various types of medical equipment that optometrist students and practitioners must know. Communication skills are also included in BSc in optometry to understand patients.
After completing the course, the optometrist trainee can provide services as an optician, optometrist, Refractionist, and ophthalmic assistant in private and public sectors.
What is the Eligibility for BSc Optometry?
- The candidates have completed their 12th from a recognized board of education with the minimum marks required.
- The minimum marks for admission into BSc Opticianry courses are at least 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- The candidate’s minimum age will be 17 years. There is no maximum age limit.
- The admission process is similar to the Bachelor of Opticianry. Some universities and colleges take direct admission and some on counseling and their 12th marks.
Note – the student who has completed a diploma in optometry, gets direct admission in the 2nd year of BSc in Opticianry.
Preparation Tips and Tricks for BSc Optometry Entrance Exam?
- Fix a timetable for your exam preparation and follow it strictly.
- Read and analyze last year’s papers and follow these steps.
- The student should take mock test papers and solves them. These mock papers give confidence and preparation status.
- Use your time effectively to qualify for entrance exams like an expert.
Career Opportunities in BSC optometry course
- Practice in the optical industry
- Can open an optical shop
- Can assist Eye doctor or ophthalmologist in hospitals
- Can open their Eye Care Centre
- After completing the BSc he can start there on a manufacturing unit for optical lenses and other types of equipment
- Can take MSc and Ph.D. after an optometrist course
- The teaching profession could be joined after BSc in an optometrist
Salary for BSc in optometrist Holders
The optometrist profession is in demand, the initial salary starts with 30 to 40 thousand per month and after some experience, one can earn 80000 to 1 lakh per month easily. Government hospitals also give good salaries and other things.
Top colleges for BSc in optometry in India
- JIPMER, Pondicherry
- University of Hyderabad, Telangana
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Maharashtra
- Saveetha Medical College, Chennai
- Jain University, Bangalore
- DY Patil University, Mumbai
- Dolphin PG College, Punjab
- JSS COLLEGE Of Higher Education, Mysore
- Calicut University, Kerala
- Hamdard Medical College, New Delhi
- CMJ University Meghalaya Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth University, Pondicherry
- AIIMS, Delhi
- Sanskrit University
- SRM University
- Chitkara University
Diploma in optometrist
It is a three-year program which is similar to Bachelor of Opticianry but it is considered a diploma and all other things are similar like the B.Optom.
- 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with a minimum of 45% marks.
- Minimum age 17 years.
Syllabus for Diploma for an optometrist
The syllabus is similar to the B.Optom. Most of the B.Optom subjects are also covered in diploma. But in the diploma, the syllabus level is not deep as a degree course.
- Ocular Anatomy and Physiology
- Physiological and visual Optics
- Physiology pathology and General anatomy
- Contact lenses and their fundamentals
- General and Ophthalmic optics
- Academic writing and their introduction in the optometrist
- General and Ocular Microbiology
Second Year Syllabus
- Ocular Pharmacology and Pathology clinic
- Clinical methodology and Statistics
- Management of eye care
- Colour vision and their assessment
- Clinical optometrist instrumental
- Contact lens care and their complications
- Clinical optometrist and the examination
Third Year Syllabus
- Basic physiology and their communication
- Business management for optometrist practice
- Clinical practice
- Research project
- Ophthalmic dispensing
- Community Health optometrist
Job Profile for optometrist Diploma Holders
- Optometric assistant
- Office assistant
- Lens consultant
- Junior medical coder
- Data assistant
Top Diploma College for an optometrist
- Shankar Mahadev University, Uttar Pradesh
- Tirthankar Mahadev University, Uttar Pradesh
- Parul University, Gujarat
- Global University Hisar, Haryana
- IIMT University, Uttar Pradesh
- Hindustan Inst. of Technology and Science, Chennai
- CMC, Vellore
Why should you go for optometry courses?
- Respect in society
- Multiple job opportunity in the government and private sector
- Higher study options
- Self-employment option
Future growth prospects
The optometrist is a promising course with job guarantees for graduates. Employment opportunities for these professionals are expected to grow in the future, which is much faster than of all other occupations. Students who take internship programs after graduation have a better chance of enhancing their job prospects.
There is also good scope for these professionals to work out of their domain in the eye specialty of a hospital. They can work as optometrists, researchers, and domicile optometrists as well.
Certificate courses for an optometry
Certificate courses in optometry are a quick way to get a job and skills. Their admission process is different in universities.
There are some colleges which gave certificates in an optometrist
- Para Medical College Rohtak
- Avdhesh perimeter cal Institute Faridabad
- Nalanda open a university in Bihar
What is the full form of B.Optom?
B.Optom full form is Bachelor of an optometrist. It is a 4-year undergraduate course in healthcare.
Is B.Optometrist equal to MBBS?
No, MBBS is a doctor but B.Optom is not a doctor. He is an eye care specialist.
But he can pursue MBBS after completing the B.Optom to increase his expertise and knowledge.
Is it possible to practice after completing the optometry courses?
Yes, bachelor of optometrist degree/ diploma holders is eligible to practice after completing their degree.
Can we call a BSc optometrist a doctor?
No, BSc Opticianry is not considered a doctor. He is eye care and visual specialist. It is a medical professional but not a medical physician.
Is NEET required for admission in B.Optom or BSc in Opticianry?
No NEET is not required for admission in bachelor of Opticianry and BSc optometry course.
Admission is based on merit, counseling, and university/level exam process.
Is Opticianry a good career in 2021?
Optometry courses are demanding in 2021 and it is a good career choice. It has a good chance in the future for growth and opportunities.
Is an MBBS course necessary for optometry?
You don’t need an MBBS degree for practice as an optometrist, but after MBBS you can do ophthalmology and become a full-time eye doctor.
What is better, Opticianry or Pharmacy?
After pharmacy, you can go to private companies and the government sector. Can open your own medical store.
On the other side after Opticianry, you can open the eye clinic, lens, and spectacles shop, and go to private and government hospitals. Both courses are good and the choice is yours.
What are the job opportunities after BSc in optometry course?
Bachelor of optometry and BSc in optometry both are similar courses. Job opportunities and scope are like B.Optom. So you can go to the government and private hospitals, optical industries, universities as a professor, and many more opportunities are available.
According to a recent study, every third person with eye problems in the world belongs to India. This tells the demand of the optometry profession in India.
Job prospects for an Opticianry degree/ diploma holder
Opticianry professionals can start independent practice, their own eye care clinic, optical shop, lens manufacturing unit. They can work in optical companies with eye doctors.
What is the qualification for optometry courses?
For degree courses 12th with physics chemistry or biology for diploma courses generally, 12th and some colleges take admission on 10th basis.
Does Opticianry require a NEET exam?
No, admission in Opticianry does not require NEET EXAM. Admission is based on 12th marks and some states and colleges take admission on entrance test.
Does an Opticianry professional get good money?
Yes, it is a good career in salary and money but low as compared to MBBS.
How much does an Opticianry professional make?
Salary depends on the student’s knowledge and their college reputation in the general way around 30000 to 40000 for degree holders and 15000 to 18000 for diploma holders per month.
Is optometry a hard degree course?
If you do not have interest, everything is hard in life. If you have passion and interest, hard things become easy. Medical and health care professions are generally more technical in terms. So you feel some difficulty but they are not at all hard.
Can I go to Opticianry after the 10th?
Yes, you can go to Opticianry after the 10th but these are diploma and certificate courses. For degree courses, you must pass 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
Is Optometry a good career choice in India?
Yes, after a good career choice in India and abroad. It is a challenging and dynamic career option, respect, job flexibility, financial success, and unlimited opportunities.
Which course is better for optometry and physiotherapy?
Optometry and physiotherapy both courses are good and better career opportunities today. So the choice is yours.
Is optometry included in doctors?
No, optometry is not considered a doctor’s profession. They are healthcare professionals. They are not treated as MBBS doctors.
Is MBBS necessary for Optometry courses?
No, MBBS is not necessary for Opticianry courses but if you can go MBBS after Opticianry you have good and advanced skills in eye care.
What is the difference between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist?
An optometrist is related to eye care and their protection. An optometrist cannot do surgery and he is not considered a doctor. But an ophthalmologist is an MBBS doctor and he can do surgeries for eyes.
Becoming an optometrist is a good career option for youths. It has good career opportunities and respect in society. So, if you do not get admission to MBBS don’t worry. You can go into the optometry courses and make a good career.