Top 10 B.Tech Food Technology Course in India
Do you have a desire to become a Food Technologist? Excited to know the role of a Food Technologist or Do you aspire to gain technical knowledge in Food Technology? Let’s look into the details of the B.Tech Food Technology Course, Eligibility, Syllabus, Career, and Duration.
A glimpse of B.Tech Food Technology Course
- What is B.Tech Food Technology?
- Why it is necessary?
- Future Scope
- Areas of Job opportunities
- Recruiters of food technology in India
- Career Designation of Food Technology
- Pay Scale of Food Technologist.
- Eligibility Criteria
- Fee Structure
- Course Essence
- Top 10 places to study
What is B. Tech Food Technology?
B.Tech Food Technology Course involves the study of both food science and Technology. The course includes Food Packaging, Nutrition Science, Food Manufacturing & Processing, Storage, etc. The curriculum of the course consists of both theoretical and practical knowledge of food and technology.
Learn about the UI/UX interface with the Best Content Writing Course
Why B. Tech Food Technology Course is necessary?
Food – It is a vital need for survival. Contributing to nutritious and safe food has become a day-to-day challenge in the world. We are in a generation where we face a rise in population, a shrink in energy sources, and an upsurge in poverty. The study of food technology enables us to battle such a hard situation. Application in the dimension of food science and technology helps us to deal with food nutrition and food security.
Learn about an array of Affiliate Marketing with the Top Digital Marketing Course
Future Scope of B.Tech Food Technology Course
The career scope opportunities are good both in India and abroad. The average remuneration of B.Tech food Technologies graduates in India is 4 lakhs per annum. The increase in remuneration depends upon the skills and experience of the individual.
Food export and import countries adhere to the guidelines of food certification such as FSSAI, USFDA. These countries require a huge amount of food engineers to run audits, production of food, Research, and Development
You may find this article useful – Top Digital Marketing Courses in Ranchi
Areas of Job opportunities
There are enamors job opportunities available across India. The demand for Food Technology engineers is in the fields of
Ø Food Processing Industries
Ø Research Laboratories
- Hotels, Soft Drink Factories
- Quality Control
- Rice Mills
- Manufacturing Industries
- Food product development
- Food processing companies
- Food Wholesalers
- Catering Establishment
- Entrepreneur opportunities
You can also read our article on the top Digital Marketing Courses in Vishakhapatnam
Recruiters of B. Tech Food Technology in India
The top companies hiring food technologists in India are listed below. These companies hire food technologists for various roles and responsibilities.
- Dabur India
- ITC Limited
- Agro Tech Foods
- Parle Products Pvt Ltd
- Cadbury India Ltd
- Nestle India Pvt Ltd
- PepsiCo India Holdings
- Britannia Industries Ltd
- Hindustan Unilever Limited
- Godrej Industries Limited
Career Designation in B. Tech Food Technology
The graduates can look for the following job profile in the food technology industries. These job profiles are based on the roles and responsibilities of food technologists.
Job roles for freshers Professionals
- Food Technologist
- Process Engineer
- Food Safety Auditor
- Scientific Lab Technician
- Quality Executive
- Nutritional Therapist
Job roles for Experienced Professionals
- Food Scientist
- Application Technologist
- Product Development Manager
- Research Food Technologist
- Food Safety Technologist
- Operation Manager for Food Manufacturing
- Quality Food Technologist
- Process Technologist
Check out the GST Course from IIM SKILLS
Pay Scale of B.Tech Food Technologist
Listed below are the average pay scale for various levels of Food Technologist.
Candidates who desire to take up the course should have passed 12th with Maths, Physics, and Chemistry as their subjects or equivalent.
- The candidate must have secured a minimum aggregate of 55%.
- Few reputed institutions conduct entrance examinations for admission.
The B. Tech Food TechnologyCourse is a 4 year Under Graduate program which consists of 8 semesters. The course covers both theoretical and practical knowledge of food science and technology.
The 4-year syllabus for B. Tech Food Technology Course is:
The first year of the B.Tech Food Technology Course consists of Semester1 and Semester 2
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Graphics
- Personality and Development I
- Computer Literacy
- Food Biochemistry
- Material Science
- Personality and Development II
- Basic Engineering
The second year of the B.Tech Food Technology Course consists of Semester 3 and Semester 4
- Applied mechanics and strength of materials
- Food Microbiology
- Stoichiometry and engineering thermodynamics
- Unit operations in food processing
- Food Processing Engineering
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Kinematics of Machinery
- Crop Processing Engineering
- Fruit and vegetable processing
The third year of the B.Tech Food Technology Course consists of Semester 5 and Semester 6
- Dairy Plant Engineering
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Biochemistry: Processing and Preservation
- Post-harvest Physiology
- Fat and Oil Processing
- Computer Skills
- Open Elective I
- Instrumentation and process control
- Food Fermentation
- Food and Waste Management
- Food Plant Safety
- Hazard Analysis
The fourth year of the B.Tech Food Technology Course consists of Semester 7 and Semester 8
- Open Elective II
- Open Elective III
- Food Processing and Management
- Food Packaging Technology
- Bakery & Confectionery
- Open Elective IV
- Open Elective V
The average fees incurred per annum ranges from 50k to 1.2 lakh depending upon the institution or university.
Top 10 Institutes for B.Tech Food Technology in India
Listed below are the best government Universities/Colleges and Private Colleges/Deemed universities which offer good faculty, Fee structure, good infrastructure.
1. Name of the University/College: Lovely Professional University (LPU)
Information: Lovely Professional University is located in Jalandhar, Punjab. Lovely
It offers a wide range of Diploma, Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral courses.
Lovely Professional University has received the best Private University Award’ by
ASSOCHAM in 2017.
Course Reviews: 4.2/5 stars
Total Fees: Rs 5.4 L – 7.2 L
Entrance Exam: JEE Main, LPU Nest
2. Name of the University/College: National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela.
Information: National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela is located in
Sundergarh district of Odisha. The deemed university offers a wide range of BTech,
BArch, MTech, MBA, MSc, and Ph.D. courses. The university also conducts workshops, industrial visits, and seminars.
Course Reviews:4.3/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs 6.4 L
Entrance Exam: JEE Main
3. Name of the University/College: IIT Kharagpur – Indian Institute of Technology
Information: Indian Institute of Technology is one of the top IIT’s and it is ranked 4
by NIRF2019.The institute has a wide range of career counseling programs to improve soft skills and personality development.
Course Reviews:4.5/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs 51.85k – 10.46L
Entrance Exam: JEE Main, GATE, JEE Advanced
4 Name of the University/College: GITAM Institute of Technology
Information: GITAM Institute of Technology (GIT) is located in Visakhapatnam. The deemed university offers a wide range of UG, PG, and Ph.D. level courses. The university provides research and skill-based education.
Course Reviews:4.0/5.0 stars
Entrance Exam: GATE, GAT(PGT)
5. Name of the University/College: Tezpur University – TEZU
Information: Tezpur University – TEZU is located in Tezpur. The university offers various ranges of UG, PG courses. It has a central library, yoga center, horticulture
It has been accredited by NAAC ‘A’ Grade and recognized by AICTE.
Course Reviews:4.0/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs 1.85 L
Entrance Exam: JEE Main, GATE, TUEE
6. Name of the University/College: Anna University
Information: Anna University is located in Guindy, Chennai. The University is approved by UGC and accredited by NAAC ‘A’ Grade.
Course Reviews: 3.8/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs1.32L
Entrance Exam: TNEA
7. Name of the University/College: Chandigarh University
Information: Chandigarh University is located at Chandigarh. It has been certified by QS I GAUGE E-LEAD (E-Learning Excellence for Academic Digitisation). The University has a huge library with books of more than 1.2 lakhs and the student and faculty have access to the resources of the National Digital Library of India (NDL) which contains 7 lakh books,3 lakh research papers, and 95,000 theses.
Course Reviews: 4.2/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs 6.44L
Entrance Exam: CUCET
8. Name of the University/College: Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
Information: ICT Mumbai – Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai is located at Matunga East, Mumbai. It has been accredited with an ‘A++’Grade by NAAC and approved by AICTE.
Course Reviews: 4.4/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs 3.41 L
Entrance Exam: JEE Main
9. Name of the University/College: Amity University
Information: Amity University is located in Noida. It is an innovation-driven private
- It is approved by AICTE and accredited by NAAC with an ‘A+’ Grade.
Course Reviews: 3.8/5.0
Total Fees: Rs7.68 L
Entrance Exam: Amity JEE
10. Name of the University/College: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University
Information: BAMU is formerly known as Marathwada University. It is a state University located in Aurangabad. It is approved by UGC accredited by NAAC with an ‘A’ Grade.
Course Reviews:4.1/5.0 stars
Total Fees: Rs 79.4 k
Entrance Exam: JEE Main
FAQs for B.Tech Food Technology
What are the entrance exams for admission?
Many colleges consider scores of the National Level Entrance Examination and State Level Entrance Examination for admission. Few private institutes conduct their entrance exams. Listed below are the National Level and State Level entrance examination.
- JEE MAIN: JEE MAIN is a national-level entrance exam conducted by National Testing Agency. This score is considered in all engineering colleges. Top 2.5 lakh score holders are eligible for JEE Advanced Exam.
- Amity JEE: Amity JEE is a private entrance examination conducted by Amity University for the admission of B. Tech courses.
- GATE: GATE is one among the foremost most prominent exams conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and 7 Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB) – GATE, Department of Upper Education, Ministry of Education, Government of India. The validity of the GATE Score is for 3 years from the date of announcement of results.
- TNEA: Tamandu Engineering Admission: It is a state-level entrance exam organized by Anna University admission of Engineering and B.Tech courses.
What is the admission procedure for B. Tech Food Technology?
The admission process for the top institutes of B.Tech Food Technology is based on the entrance exam. Candidates need to go through the following process for admission.
- Candidates must fill the entrance exam forms, submit required documents and pay the entrance exam fee to appear for the entrance examination
- Admit cards will be sent for the registered candidates
- After appearing for the entrance exam, the candidates can expect the results within a few days
- Once the result is out the college will release the cut-off. Check the college’s where you have cleared the cut-off and apply for the eligible colleges
- Then the shortlisted candidates will appear for counseling, to choose their branch of study.
- Once the branch is chosen document verification is done and the 1st installment of the tuition fees must be paid.
What are the skills required to become a good Food Technologist?
To become a good Food Technologist professional, one must cultivate critical thinking, good problem-solving skills, good communication skills, work ethic, teamwork, leadership qualities, decision-making skills.
The study of food science and technology is applied to transform raw food materials and ingredients into palatable food products available throughout the year. Food Technology helps to reduce nutrient deficiency-related diseases and improve food quality, food safety. It also helps to boost the food system, minimize risks, and deliver a nutritious, abundant food supply all over the world.