TITA Questions: How to Tackle Non-MCQ in CAT 2023
Every year Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) can conduct the CAT examination on a motility basis. CAT 2023 is going to be conducted in November 2023.
The CAT Examination observes over 2 lakh candidates who are vying to secure their seats in their B -schools.
Wherever CAT 2023 is concerned, aspirants have already started getting ready, alongside searching for ways to crack the examination with delicacy so that they can do their targeted scores.
Systematic preparation and time management is the key to success during this important examination that has three sections to be aced during a duration of a hundred and eighty minutes.
Kinds of questions to succeed in achieving smart marks – MCQ and Non-MCQ or TITA questions.
Within the case of as so much, because the questions in CAT 2023 are involved, An aspirant has to answer the latter, one has to provide a smart account of one’s skills of elaborate/descriptive writing to secure good marks.
If you’re searching for ways that to beat the challenge of answering TITA or non-MCQ you through, you’ve got to return to the proper place.
The guidelines given below can steer you thru to success.
A common Admission test is taken into account to be the foremost tough examination because of sectional point in time, level of questions asked, etc.,
CAT 2023 registration is probably going to start from the primary week of August 2023.
Non-MCQ’s in CAT 2023
IIM Ahmedabad threw a significant curveball towards management aspirants once it 1st introduced the non-MCQ queries in 2015.
Back then, the announcement only aforementioned that in CAT 2015, some queries in every section might not be of multiple selection types.
Instead, direct answers are to be written on the screen. Naturally, this left everybody to guess concerning the number of such queries in CAT 2016.
In 2017, most CAT aspirants found themselves during a soup once more after they found a replacement set of queries.
And that necessitated them to find the right answer within the box with a keyboard rather than selecting the right answer out of the four choices in multiple-choice based mostly queries.
These questions are fondly named because the ‘TITA questions and TITA stand for Type within the Answer.
This new set of queries, conjointly known as non-MCQ or TITA questions, remained in 2019 and can conjointly feature within the question paper of CAT in 2023.
Check out these courses from IIM SKILLS
Purpose of Non-MCQ Questions
Though the dedicated committee for the CAT exam has not given any official reason behind the inclusion of those queries within the question paper for the CAT exam, the favored opinion is that they need to be been further to elevate the extent of the problem of the paper.
Then again, there also are people who feel that the presence of MCQ-based mostly questions created things a touch easier for candidates to guess the proper answer out of the four alternatives.
The case is going to be the direct opposite of TITA questions. With this alteration within the pattern of questions, one can get to use one’s descriptive writing skills and one’s knowledge content to answer them.
As such, examiners are going to be able to declare the potential and understanding of a candidate in a higher manner within the approaching CAT exam than those preceding it.
However, the bright side within the entire situation is that there’s no negative marking for Non-MCQs within the CAT exam.
Therefore, candidates can try TITA queries without any doubt otherwise penalized for an incorrect answer.
Non-MCQ or TITA Questions
No Of Questions To be Asked In CAT 2023
This is a million-dollar question and the majority of aspirants try their best to search out a solution thereto.
In sensible terms, it’s next to not possible to search out what number TITA queries can move within the question paper. However, you’ll be able to get a touch of it from the previous year’s question paper.
In CAT 2015, TITA queries were there altogether in the 3 sections: VARC, QA, and DILR. So, despite not being certain concerning the particular range of non-MCQ queries, you’ll be able to expect to own these queries altogether the sections during this year’s question paper furthermore.
For best results, it’s suggested that you simply shouldn’t base your arrange exclusively on the Mock check and keep an idea B in mind, therefore you’ve got an idea in place just in case there’s a small variation within the question pattern of the paper.
TITA Queries Are Good To Attempt In Examination
The move to incorporate non-MCQ queries in CAT 2015 was attended with a great deal of criticism on the part of CAT aspirants.
There hasn’t been any modification within the perception towards these queries among candidates since. However, it’s a motivating by-product.
There’ll be no negative mark for wrong answers. So, you’ll be able to rest assured that you simply won’t be penalized for a wrong answer.
That said, it’s conjointly vital to stay in mind that you simply could find yourself spending longer in answering these queries than what you would possibly need to.
Your best bet to manage this problem with success is to formulate a strategy timely.
The consecutive issue you should do is practice and builds the use of the strategy in mock tests the maximum amount as you’ll be able to.
This may offer you a transparent understanding of whether or not all is well with it otherwise you got to build changes to that.
Highlights of TITA queries
- About 25-30% of the overall question paper is that the non-MCQ type or TITA questions CAT.
- There aren’t many choices provided.
- Answers to be written in through the virtual keyboard with the help of a mouse and submitted by clicking on the ‘Save & Next’ tab.
- Candidates are tested on the clarity of ideas and descriptive writing skills.
- No negative marking for TITA questions. Correct answers carry +3 marks.
- With no choices to settle on, TITA questions tend to be slightly additional long than the MCQ-type queries.
IIM Ahmedabad values more highly introduce non-MCQs within the CAT 2015 master’s degree exam.
Non-MCQs are termed as TITA type within the answer questions queries are those that don’t present four choices before the candidates.
Instead, CAT aspirants got to type within the correct answers during a text box provided on the screen using a keyboard on their own.
In the absence of negative marking just in case of TITA queries, top-scorers, furthermore, as specialists, recommend attempting several such queries as attainable, although whereas keeping an eye fixed on the watch is additionally advised at an equivalent breath.
The catch of the TITA question is that because of low accuracy and lack of choices to assist guessing, it may simply value the candidate’s valuable time.
You need to guarantee to not get over-excited by the lure of marking neat 75-90 mark while not the concern of negative marking and pay longer on TITA queries that leave you less time to answer the remainder of the paper.
TITA queries – In Numbers
As per the examination pattern of CAT, the question paper is going to be divided into 2 varieties of queries i.e. multiple selection queries (MCQs) and type within the Answer (TITA/non-MCQs).
As TITA queries are non-MCQs and don’t have many choices, they tend to consume longer of the candidates. Given below during a tabular format is that the range of TITA queries asked in the IIM exam.
Candidates will check the table to own thoughts concerning the TITA question and harden an equivalent to attain.
Overview of CAT TITA queries
CAT Exam Year
No Of TITA Queries Each Year
How to try TITA Questions:
The difficulty level of the TITA queries in CAT varies from section to section. Also, there’s no uniform strategy to tackle such queries.
You’d act to pick out questions that supported your experience furthermore as less long people.
Within the table that follows, we tend to present analysis if TITA queries supported experts’ views and previous years’ paper analysis:
Level of the sections
Verbal Ability And Reading Comprehension
The difficult and lengthy section
Data Interpretation And Logical Reasoning
Tables, Arrangements, and Venn Diagrams
The attempt was given that you determine the right approach to answer
Easiest section (Easier than MCQ’s)
The attempt is given that the idea is obvious. Instructions like answers up to
Tips to tackle the challenge of TITA queries in CAT 2023
The pattern for the CAT examination keeps dynamic every year.
So, you will not place an explicit range in your head in terms of the number of non-MCQ queries that you simply can expect within the examination.
Moreover, it’s tough to decipher the main points of those questions as they’re comparatively new.
Not only candidates however even specialists also are finding out the finer aspects of those questions to compute a good strategy for respondent these queries.
Still, if you’re feeling the requirement for any help, you’ll be able to believe the rough approximation provided by the mock paper.
Top scores and specialists suggest trying as several queries as attainable, whereas keeping a detailed watch on the time spent in attempting them.
The catch for TITA queries is that failure to predict the right answer, low accuracy, and lack of choices to help to guess could value candidates a great deal of precious time.
you need to confine in mind that you simply cannot be lured away thinking of marking 75-90 marks with no concern if negative marking and pay longer on TITA queries that leave you less time to answer the remainder of the paper.
It is suggested that you simply should select a versatile approach rather than a set plan in mind. That’s to mention, you ought to think about a unique plan for various sections.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
VARC: you’ll be able to expect concerning ten TITA questions from this section.
If the trend within the Mock Paper for CAT 2023 is something to travel by, then there’ll be 3 types of queries that you simply will expect beneath the section. These include the following:
- Four questions in Para jumbles: Notably, they were the toughest of the non-MCQs in CAT 2016. Para jumbles are best resolved with the assistance of options; while not them, they become high long, and therefore the chance of creating mistakes will increase, bringing down accuracy. Therefore, you need to try non-MCQ Para jumbles only at the tip if you’ve got any free time left on your hands.
- Three questions in Summary: it’s hard to grasp the thought method of the CAT examiners behind providing choices and everyone had to try and do was type: A, B, C, or D.
Odd Sentence out/Misfit (3 questions): the same as outline-based mostly non-MCQs.
Please note that the outline-based mostly and unusual person kind non-MCQs should be treated and resolved like ancient MCQs and no separate approach is needed.
Quantitative Ability (QA)
The non-MCQ queries for this section will be a touch tough to manage.
Although it’s tough to assign an explicit figure to the number of TITA queries that you simply will expect during this section, the popular perception is that there will be concerning fifteen queries during this section. Browse the queries fastidiously.
If needed, don’t hesitate to read them over once for gaining an insight into what you would like to answer.
Just in case you are doing not feel certain concerning answering these queries or feel they’re taking longer than usual, proceed to the opposite sections and find back to the queries of this section only if you’re finished the queries from the opposite sections.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (LR)
You can anticipate concerning eight queries beneath this section with the requirement to answer the subsequent questions:
- Questions of table set format have 4 queries: The questions would be of a moderate problem level. It, however, would still need you to create usage of an on-screen calculator to attain the right answer. The instructions though specific the decimal points, up to that the answers required to be written in, that offered some relief to the candidates. You need to keep in mind your formulas, cubes, and fractions because the use of an on-screen calculator would possibly consume a great deal of your time because of the lack of a practical keyboard.
- Arrangement queries have four queries: For the DILR questions, one will expect a collection of four non-MCQs within the Arrangement format. Wherever these queries are involved, it’s suggested to consider one’s calculations that the choices given on the MCQs. To ace TITA kind arrangement queries, you would like solely to have your basics brushed up.
Tips on a way to Solve TITA queries in CAT:
Let us inspect all the guidelines on a way to solve TITA queries in CAT one by one –
Be Careful with Time Management whereas managing TITA queries
As mentioned on top of, CAT 2023 can have a sectional time length. Candidates are going to be given an hour for every section within which they need to answer MCQs furthermore as TITA queries.
- In every section i.e. data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Ability, Verbal and Reading Comprehension over five TITA queries are asked every year. Such queries don’t have many choices and thus candidates are needed to read the question fastidiously so answer accurately.
- TITA queries will be time-intense if not practiced well ahead.
- Time management of TITA queries is incredibly vital and may flip a candidate’s efforts into nice marks.
- Divide your day into productive timely hours and build a correct list.
- Devote one hour daily for every section for TITA queries and follow them.
- Speaking concerning time management, Topper of CAT 2019 says that they thought about time management because of the fourth section and focused thereon with full dedication with no carelessness.
First-time CAT takers, time management can for certain profit in following ways that –improve your answering level and speed with focus.
Clear in your strategies – Keeping in mind the record, the Indian Institutes of Management doesn’t offer any official CAT program.
On the premise of question paper sets, CAT 2023 program has been written that should be checked by candidates before beginning their preparation.
- Candidates should attempt to concentrate on clearing their ideas from the fundamental level.
- Buy the best books for CAT Coaching to remain updated with the latest downside determination strategies.
- Don’t haste upon covering all the topics in one go. Take it slow in understanding the key ideas of every topic so move towards alternative topics of the CAT curriculum.
- If you begin getting ready for CAT with no work in such case you’ll be able to be a part of any online study teams, contact friends who have registered themselves for coaching classes, or just browsing the net to be told new ways that of question determination to clear idea.
- Make flashcards or sticky note to recollect the tough topics which can be asked in TITA queries.
- If your return is beginning before six months of CAT, you should shift your focus to unknown topics from that TITA queries can be raised.
Avoid guessing work– In multiple-choice queries; candidates have the choice to resolve queries in a reverse manner.
However, an equivalent cannot be applied in non-MCQs or TITA queries. Here, candidates don’t have choices of determination the question.
- No reverse action strategy will be followed whereas determination TITA queries.
- No imperative cues are going to be there, thus don’t waste it slow in looking and puzzling over the solution.
- Attempt such TITA queries given that you recognize the solution and check out to resolve TITA queries only if you’re finished the MCQs.
How to follow TITA queries in CAT 2023
- Try Mock check of CAT
- Don’t Fall within the trap of “Non-Negative Marking”
- Follow Previous Year CAT Question Papers
- Strategy to aim TITA queries
- Try Mock check of CAT – One every of the simplest ways to follow TITA queries is through CAT mock test. Most of the previous year at the side of CAT 2019 toppers have accepted this issue that determination mock tests helped them in understanding the paper pattern and created their ideas higher through new and completely different queries. Benefits of mock check of CAT include self-analysis, self-cum-time-management, and accuracy in downside resolution as well as TITA queries.
- Don’t Fall within the trap of “Non-Negative Marking” – As mentioned on top of, TITA queries are non-MCQs and don’t have any choices like MCQs. thus are longer intense and need longer to answer. Simply because answering TITA queries doesn’t end in losing marks, several candidates fall within the trap and find themselves losing their precious time of hour per section. Candidates conjointly face anxiety as they concern to lose time whereas determination TITA was strong.
- Follow Previous Year CAT Question Papers – to create their preparation robust candidates are suggested to follow from the previous year’s question papers of CAT. Once finished with the syllabus solve a minimum of one question paper/sample paper on each day. This may improve speed and accuracy and there’ll be time once no doubt will look strange. By frequently scanning the previous year’s question paper, you’ll familiar with each variety of queries i.e. MCQs and TITA queries.
- Strategy to aim TITA queries – eventually, keep in mind that there’s no specific strategy/ trick to aim TITA queries in CAT. To avoid wasting time whereas the determination CAT question paper, the simplest recommendation for candidates would be 1st solve the non-MCQs so move onto those TITA queries that appear familiar and you’ll be able to answer simply.
Expert tips to resolve TITA question
Now, allow us to cross-check the skilled opinion on a way to tackle to challenges of TITA queries.
- TITA queries in Quant and DI sections are tough to solve attributable to prolonged, long calculations. Although TITA queries don’t punish you directly for wrong answers, the prospect of your cost answer seems to be wrong prices you crucial time that isn’t reasonable in an examination like CAT. Therefore the strategy should be, set a time limit to aim TITA queries and most significantly, keep on with the limit.
- Most CAT veterans vouch for the elimination technique to answer multiple-choice queries. However, within the case of TITA, there’s no scope for deploying this methodology. Given that your idea is clear can you be able to deduce the solution? Therefore if you’re unsure concerning the question, don’t hassle to waste it slow on that.
- Experts recommend that TITA queries be tried the last once you’re finished respondent all alternative queries during an explicit section since they will be long and tough to resolve.
- Please make sure that you browse fastidiously the instructions to answer TITA queries as not responding to the queries within the prescribed format may render it wrong.
- While getting ready for CAT, if you follow determination regular queries, say from QA or VARC, without checking the choices, and then you’d be at the same time active for the TITA queries furthermore. Let say, if you solve a Para jumble while not viewing the choices, then you’ll be ready to tackle a probable TITA Para jumble question in CAT.
“one must simply learn to resolve or improve”.
Thus, despite if you prefer TITA or Non- MCQ queries, the fact remains that you simply cannot overlook the importance of getting an idea in mind to answer these queries.
The key here isn’t to get swayed by the honey trap of no negative marking and take care of the low accuracy rate of the TITA or Non- MCQ queries.
Since the TITA or Non- MCQ queries are long, you’ve got 2 important challenges to deal with: first of all, you would like to refine your descriptive writing skills. Only follow can cause you to good during this regard.
Secondly, you furthermore may get to regulate your temporal arrangement for respondent these queries.
The concept should be to own a comfortable time in hand therefore you’re able to check for errors before the submission of your answer sheet within the examination center.
Do not treat the TITA or Non- MCQ queries as a single class of queries and category that there’s no straitjacket approach for determining them.
This might guarantee a lot of openness and adaptability in terms of answering these queries.
Bear the same tips in mind and place them to check whereas writing your answers in CAT 2023.
keep going and glad to learn … ALL THE BEST !!..