Guide For CAT 2023 Syllabus Section Wise & Their Importance (Updated)
Guide For CAT 2023 Syllabus Section Wise & Their Importance (Updated)
Learn About The Cat Syllabus And Topic-wise Syllabus Breakup Of Marks. Prepared By Our Team At IIM SKILLS online CAT coaching
Before we dive into the section-wise CAT syllabus let’s discuss a few important things first.
An MBA degree from a top-ranked B-school is essential for your management career. This is because an MBA is as much about the theory as it is about the environment you learn in. A top B-school provides you the most talented classmates who eventually become your team. It also provides you with world-class faculty with practical industry experience.
An MBA is not about the books you study in college. If that was the case, every management college would produce the same quality of managers. But we know that is not it.
The name of your B-school is a brand that you carry throughout your life. It symbolizes the tradition of excellence and the values of your school that you uphold throughout your career. It is not just an achievement. It is a responsibility. One that keeps you working towards your mission.
You may be interested in The Top CAT Coaching Institutes In Delhi
Why is an MBA important?
MBA has many benefits. It is not just for your career but also for you as a person. Let’s discuss them one by one.
- It enhances your personality: As you work on projects with great teams, inside the institute and outside, you generate confidence and discover that you are valuable and you are a vital part of the team. You become a professional.
- It provides credibility: An MBA from a top business school provides you credibility in your circles. You are expected to uphold the standards of your university.
- Many skills that you learn in a B-school are transferrable skills that come from other skilled people, for example, communication, time management, persuasion techniques, and so on.
- These skills you learn in an MBA college are relevant in any industry you choose to work in, be it technology, banking, start-up, media, arts, sports, or even politics.
- Strategy is another major skill that you learn in a B-school. This ability is valuable not just in your professional but also in your personal life. You learn to examine the pros and cons of any decision you make and weigh the short-term and long-term implications of decisions.
- You become better at communication. Management is entirely about communication. Effective communication is simple and clear. It gets the work done. As a manager, you will discover what is the meaning of communication.
- Discipline. To keep pace with your curriculum, you need to attend all important classes, events, complete assignments inside deadlines, do the projects, join the study sessions. All the activities require labor and discipline.
- Time management. Extension of previous reason, there’s so much stuff to do that you automatically learn to optimize your time and system and become more productive and active.
- Broaden your perspective. MBA provides you with a window to the real world. You discover so much about the concerns in society. You learn how small pieces fit together to make a complex world.
- Besides all these skills, an MBA from a top business institution gives you an asset to your life in the form of a large network. You meet so many industry leaders and teachers who are distinguished economists and policymakers. Even the classmates in your course are going to reach great places in big roles.
- MBA sometimes can revive your stuck career. It happens often that a firm does not promote employees to a higher managerial role, with a higher salary, because they are not an MBA.
- Thinking outside the box and innovation is another skill that many people do not talk about when mentioning the benefits of an MBA. Creative thinking is essential not just in the arts but also in the business environment. Many business answers that we employ today were once used for the first time.
Now you know why an MBA is so important for your career.
Now we will talk about how you can get into a top business school.
CAT is necessary for admissions to almost all prestigious management institutions in India. CAT is intended to test the applicants in many fields and measure how to fit they can be as managers. Almost all MBA schools in India call students based on their CAT scores. If an MBA from a renowned college is your goal, CAT is the exam you should focus your preparation on.
CAT is an online test. CAT syllabus has 3 different sections:
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
- Verbal Ability (VA) & Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Data Interpretation(DI) & Logical Reasoning (LR)
The Quantitative Aptitude(QA) part consists of basic arithmetic, based upon a 10 + 2 level. Questions come from various topics such as Arithmetic, Geometry, Algebra, profit and loss, probability, simple and compound interest, and Commercial Mathematics (Word Problems). The purpose of the questions to use basic maths to find solutions to real-world difficulties.
The Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI-LR) section consist of questions that come in sets. Each set has common data and consists of 3-4 questions based on that data. Data Interpretation puzzles examine how the candidate makes use of the data and their ability to solve questions accurately. Logical Thinking problems check the candidate’s capability to use logic and assess problems.
The Verbal Ability (VA) segment has problems with knowledge and usage of standard English language and rules of grammar. Verbal Ability questions analyze skills like the candidate’s knowledge of arranging paragraphs in proper order, deciding the type of given statements, completing the paragraphs.
In general, it is found that all the sections in the CAT syllabus share an equal weightage in the exam. But that should not be taken as a rule.
The test was incorporated by the Indian Institutes of Management(IIMs) to rank candidates seeking admission. All the IIMs take turns to make the question paper. CAT scores today are used by almost every management school including the ones in IITs and IISc.
The marking scheme in CAT is like this. Each correct answer grants 3 marks to the candidate. A wrong answer deducts 1 mark. The test has different sets of question papers.
A good score in CAT is required for a seat in the most desirable management colleges in India. Why you want to be in the best B-school has already been discussed.
A great CAT score guarantees an unmatched learning atmosphere at whichever college you choose to go to. You get a great corporate network lasting a lifetime. You get to meet and talk to industry leaders and notable economists. You get great inception in your management career. The top B-schools provide great internship opportunities even have a 100% placement record.
Find Top CAT Coaching Institutes In Mumbai here.
CAT syllabus for Quantitative ability QA
- Number Systems
- Mean median mode (statistics)
- LCM and HCF
- Time and Work
- Ratio and Proportion
- Profit, Loss, and Discount
- Speed, Time, and Distance
- Quadratic Equations & Linear Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Sequences and Series
- Linear equations
- Surds and Indices
- Set Theory & Function
- Permutation and Combination
- Mixtures and Alligations
- Coordinate Geometry
CAT syllabus for Data Interpretation and Logical reasoning DILR
- Letter Series
- Symbol Series
- Symbol based Logic
- Number & Alphabet Analogies
- Odd one out
- Direction Sense
- Blood Relations and Family Tree
- Cryptarithmetic (Verbal Arithmetic)
- Inequalities and Conclusions – Coded Inequalities
- Data Sufficiency
- Approximation of Values
- Bar Graphs
- Line Charts
- Column Graphs
- Venn Diagrams
- Pie Chart
- Number and Letter Series
- Seating Arrangement
- Binary Logic
- Logical Matching
- Logical Sequence
CAT syllabus for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension VARC
- English Usage or Grammar
- Vocabulary (Synonyms/ Antonyms)
- Fill in the blanks
- Sentence Correction
- Jumbled Paragraph
- Meaning-Usage Match
- Analogies or Reverse Analogies
- Summary Questions
- Verbal Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
- Categories of Passages
- Writing Styles
- Tone of Writing
- Types of Questions
- Reading Skills
- The Articles – A, An, The
- Grammar rules
- Parts of Speech in English
- Sentence Construction in English
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Verbs Tenses
- Word Usage
- Verbal Reasoning
- Logical Deduction
- Statements & Assumptions
- Courses of Action
- Para jumbles (Basic Rules, Extra tips)
- Para Completion
- Sentence Exclusion
- Fact Inference Judgment
- Basic Assumption And Inference
- Paragraph Summary
- Method of Reasoning and Boldfaced
- Flawed and Paradox
- Parallel, Further Application, Evaluate
- Strong Weak Arguments
Importance of Quantitative aptitude
So why does the CAT syllabus even has questions on Quantitative aptitude?
Nowadays, companies expect new recruits to satisfy a certain level of quantitative ability. CAT is not the only exam that tests the Quantitative aptitude of the candidate. Many companies do too. Now we will discuss why a good Quantitative aptitude is so important for management colleges as well as companies.
An aptitude test is designed to estimate the chance of success of the candidate. In this way, CAT estimates the chances of success of a candidate in the management course.
The aptitude tests in the CAT syllabus are commonly used as a rule in various companies to screen potential job applicants. Aptitude tests help in measuring your strengths and weaknesses on various parameters. It is a way to test the analytical ability and knowledge of the candidate.
Quantitative aptitude analyses the numerical ability and problem-solving skills of applicants. It forms an important part of every competitive exam in India as well as outside, such as CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, IIFT GMAT and so on.
A candidate with good Quantitative Aptitude is likely to recognize and process numerical to perform basic arithmetic procedures and perform calculations. The candidate is likely to be swift in analyzing cases based on the given data and shows an extraordinary level of focus in solving difficulties.
According to CAT syllabus a good score in the quantitative aptitude test shows that you are well-equipped in the following areas:
- Mental alertness: Quantitative aptitude score is a measure of your mental alertness. The business world is a complex and practical world. You will encounter many expected and unexpected challenges. Businesses need to keep an eye on the competition and always need to be a step ahead. The managers need to identify and be aware of possible challenges looming. A good score ensures to the employer that you have a keen eye.
- Problem-solving: Industries have a lot of behind the scene operations such as revenue, strategy, employee relations, legal, etc. There are many challenges in the business world every day. You need to be able to identify, think over, and find solutions quickly. A high Quantitative aptitude score shows that the candidate is has a knack for thinking critically and solving problems. Therefore, quantitative aptitude is one section in all competitive exams.
- Analysis: One indication of being good in quantitative aptitude is strong analysis skills. Analysis forms the backbone of companies’ operations in today’s era. It helps a corporation decide on short-term and long-term plans, essential for growth. A candidate with a high quantitative aptitude is better suited to analyze and make inferences. Such a person will also be comfortable with numbers. Therefore, quantitative aptitude is an important measure for a future business executive’s capabilities.
Almost 3 in 4 tests in the world have a section where they test the candidates’ quantitative ability.
This is really vital as recruitment is not only about the candidate’s desires but also about what the company desires. Companies want to be certain that the employee they are going to recruit is the right person for the job and is going to be a valuable asset to the company.
An unsuitable employee could probably be a waste of the company’s time and money and other resources and also damage the reputation of the company in front of the clients.
Since companies get a lot of applications for every job opening, and even more so with the bigger companies, aptitude tests are an important, cost-effective, and simple way to sort out candidates and select the perfect person for the job.
It is the same for competitive exams. There are so many applications for so few seats in the colleges that institutions need a way to grade students in a way that can make a distinction between lakhs of applications.
Why is logical reasoning asked in CAT syllabus?
What is logical reasoning ability?
Logical thinking is the method of examining and analyzing a situation from all sides and reaching a workable and practical solution. But logical reasoning involves looking at difficulties in an objective manner and making sensible conclusions. When you use the access data that is available to you to examine a problem, you are using your logic skills.
Why is the logical reasoning ability required for the CAT syllabus?
Logical reasoning skills are required as they assist you to think and evaluate key actions and their consequences, work out challenges, find out imaginative solutions, and set aims—all of which are pivotal to the growth of someone’s career. You will come across various problems and complexities, as part of your everyday work. The stronger you build your logical reasoning abilities, the easier and faster it would be to reach a solution.
How to develop logical reasoning ability as per the CAT syllabus?
There are many ways to grow logical thinking in your daily work. Here are a few methods and tips to strengthen your skills:
- Cultivate new creative hobbies: Creative activities such as drawing, writing, and music can stimulate the artistic element of the mind and also promotes logical thinking. Creative activities naturally develop problem-solving abilities that help you mature as a better problem-solver.
- Question everything: One of the most effective means to improve your logical reasoning abilities is to ask questions about anything you take as a fact. Constantly investigating helps you see the bigger picture, enabling you to find out-of-the-box solutions.
- Socialize with others. Building relationships with several people to expand your perspective. It helps you learn about various sorts of people. It gives you more chances to build your logical thinking skills. When you find a new perspective, it benefits you in approaching situations in a way you never did before. There are many methods in which you can grow existing relationships, like joining in new and fun activities or just eating together in a group at the office.
- Learn a new skill: Learning a new skill like an instrument or camping or sailing, can also aid your logical thinking skills. When you take every opportunity to learn as much as possible, you can apply an identical plan to your work. Learning stimulates the prefrontal cortex in the brain that is responsible for awareness and reasoning. We become more focused and alert as a result.
Importance of Reading Comprehension and verbal ability in CAT
Although many people read, the act of reading and the act of understanding what you read are two very different activities. Reading Comprehension involves thinking about the words that were just read to reach the meaning of the whole text. Reading comprehension is simply the ability to read and process the text material to reach an understanding.
Reading comprehension requires more effort than just reading. Without proper comprehension skills, students lack the ability to understand what they read. The point of reading is not just to make sounds associated with the words and letters that you are reading but to understand and record important information.
By the act of writing, our founders have recorded important information that we can learn simply through reading. By understanding what we read, we accumulate important lessons, learn scientific principles, thoughts and opinions, memories, and new opportunities. It is only through reading that we learn about gravity. It is by reading that we learn that there are many planets and stars.
Having great reading comprehension abilities is important. It enhances the pleasure and effectiveness of reading and helps not only in academics but also in work and day to day life. It makes a person smarter and more knowledgeable. Imagine, for example, that you get a complicated assignment at work. You read the assignment but can not comprehend what it is asking of you. What is the benefit of being an educated and literate person then, if you cannot properly understand a text?
Many parents in India make the error of considering Reading Comprehension exists only to influence English and is important just for clearing exams. But, comprehension is essential for basic survival in the world. Through paragraphs and word problems, the necessity to understand what you read is everywhere in every student’s life, from Math Class to History.
Science: Children read and learn about many scientific facts in school. Proper reading comprehension makes them able to read and understand facts about animals, plants, the Solar System, and many more.
Math: Most math textbooks contain word problems where a text gives a situation and the student needs to make out the meaning and do what the question says. Without reading comprehension skills, you will never be able to understand what the question is asking of you.
History: We learn so much history in school. We learn about important people, wars, movements, lessons, and much more. In order for learning history to be fruitful, students must understand what is being told. Reading Comprehension will help them understand and process knowledge in the passage.
How to Build Reading Comprehension
Comprehension is actually quite easy to develop. Though, it will require your regular, effective involvement from a parent or guardian.
Daily Reading Practice: All students should spend at least 30 minutes every day reading their text of preference. This also develops a healthy relationship with reading and everybody knows the benefits of regular reading.
Review for Understanding: Keep verifying that you are not just skimming through text but also understanding the meaning. It will also help you stay focused on the text and prevent your mind from wandering.
Look at the title and try to understand what the text is going to be about. What will it cover and what kind of characters are there in the story. Stop at intervals and ask key questions to yourself like what’s happening, where is this happening or who is the man of action here? Ask yourself where do we stand in the story and what were some of the recent developments.
Try to predict the train of events. Try to predict the challenges the character is going to encounter nads how is the character going to deal with it.
After you are done with a big portion, try to tell the story in your words. In addition to being good for memory, this is also good for your articulation and writing abilities.
Try to make connections. As you keep reading try to make connections of this part of the story to something that happened earlier in the story. Do not worry if you are wrong. Being wrong does not matter here. The only thing that matters is exercising your reading comprehension skills. This also invests you completely in the story.
Make your own inferences after you are done with the story. Write a summary in your own words. Write what you learned from it. How was the character development? What were the major challenges? If you had to write a sequel o the story, how would it be?
If you are preparing for CAT you can find more useful information on our blog apart from CAT syllabus
More Courses to explore